Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norfolk, VA

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Blog Entries

Norfolk, VA

Advertisements
    Just wanted some info about Norfolk, VA!

Whats it like there? What is there to do around there? Just some basic info and maybe things I should know before I move out there!
  2. missing my sanity
    missing my sanity
    Blog Entries

I've been in the Hampton Roads area for a little over 8 years now. I lived mostly in norfolk, even though I'm stationed in Virginia Beach and now live in Chesapeake. Hampton Roads is considered the "7 cities" since it is 7 cities all close together.
    There are some nice beaches in Virginia Beach (the tourists spot) and Hampton. Most stuff to do is in Virginia Beach like Mount Trashmore (it's a big park with a pond in the middle of it all)
    It's got all the regular city sites: malls, movies, etc. About an hour drive is Bush Gardens Amusement Park and King's Dominion is just a little further than that.
    As for Norfolk itself, some people say it is a little "ghetto" I think it's more diverse. I've lived in several parts of Norfolk and its just like any other city. Virginia Beach is a little more expensive and less "ghetto" but I've never had any real problems in Norfolk. I think the biggest adjustment I had moving here was people's attitudes. Customer service is not usually with a smile here lol. But I like it here, it's home
  3. wishin
    wishin
    im from Virginia Beach... Dont live in almost all portsmouth, south norfolk (which is really in a part of chesapeake) They are trying to turn the places around but still need work.. norfolk is next worse.. then you have over the HRBT newport news, and hampton.. not sure what you are used too, but my graduating class was 3k and you could see the other high school from out front of my high school.. you can get to 5 different malls within 45min. It is a high military area, local hate the military, but there are so many incentives for military there.. We are not they all hug/wave at everyone you see type people...(which was a shock to me when we moved somewhere where everyone is like that) Every place you move to is just what you make out of it. Yes there is lots of crime, but that is what happens when you have so many people together.. There is also MANY MANY bases, naval, coastguard, army, marine, and the navy seals base. Everything you need is just a little way down the road..
    Sometimes the smallest things take up the biggest space in your heart.
  4. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Blog Entries
    Thanks ladies that is helpful I appreciate it!
  5. Looking for the sunshine...
    Looking for the sunshine...

Wait! Th best part about Hampton Roads? Being just a hop, skip sand a jump from the Outer Banks!
  6. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    I will Never live there again worst experience ever and the whole city scared me even if someone paid me too. Roads sucks, around base was scary, and all around one big hell hole in my book.

Hope you like it more then I did. Also, do not live in Hampton! That is where we lived and good god never again
    Signature removed due to size.
  7. Moderator

We just moved from Hampton Roads in June. We lived there for 11 years.

We lived in Virginia Beach and loved it. A lot of the area is what you make of it. The traffic can be a pain and people get "tunnelitis" at the tunnels, so there are back-ups sometimes.

But, there is a ton to do. It's strip mall central, there's tons of shopping, malls, restaurants (chains and unique ones). Downtown Norfolk has Ghent, which is quaint and fun, with bars and restaurants. There's a lot of touristy stuff to do Oceanfront, but a lot of the bases in Va Beach have beaches that a lot less crowded and nicer.

You'll have a ton of options of places to live, whether apartments or rentals. I wouldn't live in Portsmouth or certain parts of Norfolk, but you can go out to Chesapeake, Va Beach or even up on the Peninsula to Newport News or Hampton. If you do that, stay away from numbered streets in Newport News (which is the East end of Newport News, or 25th and Ghetto..lol). We lived in a great neighborhood in Newport News a few years ago and the commute to NOB for my exDH was 20 minutes. Also, my best friend has a home in Hampton and it's beautiful and her son goes to a great middle school.

If you have any questions, let me know!
  8. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayo View Post
    Wait! Th best part about Hampton Roads? Being just a hop, skip sand a jump from the Outer Banks!

great place for decent week long summer vacations!!

I lived in the area for all my life though i lived across the water in newport news, yorktown area.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

9. Lauralicious
    Lauralicious
    Blog Entries
    I live in Virginia Beach, can't say much since I've only been here four weeks.

What I do know though is that is humid!! and Hot!! I am used to the heat since I am from Texas, but definitely not used to the humidity. I like my neighborhood, and I've liked places I've seen here.

Somebody mentioned Mount Trashmore, which I think it's really pretty. The neighborhood where I live is nice, and yes the traffic is bad, but I wouldnt expect less in a city full of military and other residents getting to and from work.

I'll tell you more in a couple of months, lol
    Distance Divas

10. Senior Member
    We’ve lived in Va Beach for a little over 10 years. I really enjoy the area. There is always something going on. Lot’s of beaches, festivals, shopping, restaurants, great concerts held at several different venues, Broadway plays, amusements parks, water parks, several four year colleges, etc. It’s a day’s drive from the majority of the major East Coast cities. Traffic can be a pain…just like every other major metropolitan area.

Like everything else though a lot will depend on your attitude and what you make of it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast