Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Fort Campbell, KY

1. Senior Member

Fort Campbell, KY

Advertisements
    Looks like my husband & I are PCSing to Fort Campbell pretty soon, so I wanted to find out as much as I can about that post. In your opinion, is it better to live on or off post and why? We haven't ever lived in on post housing before. If we decide to live off post, I am hearing that the best area would be Clarksville? What's it like there? What do you have to say about the post itself? Any ladies with husbands in 101st? PM me... I have a lot of questions!

Thanks
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    My husband was there for 6 years and I visited a lot while he was there. We also lived there for a couple months together before we PCS'd. While we were there the housing wasn't too nice (unless you're an E-5 w/at least two kids, then you get the newer housing which is really nice). The housing market there is pretty cheap, but friends of ours are PCSing and can't sell or rent their house, so keep that in mind if you think about buying. They live in Oak Grove, which is just outside of Gate 4 on the Kentucky side. There's also Hopkinsville which is a little further down the road. Like any bigger town, Clarksville has it's good parts and it's bad parts. There's certain places I def wouldn't live, but some places are really nice.

The post itself is nice, there's a new PX which is huge, and I heard they were redoing the commy, but I'm not sure if that's been finished (I haven't been on post in like 2 years). It's a decent sized post, but easy to navigate. Idk what else to really tell you about it...

You're about an hour from Nashville which, IMO, is one of the best cities in the US. There's so much to do and the nightlife is AMAZING. I loved going there, it was always a good time. There's also a mall, random stores (like Kohl's and Hobby Lobby) and tons of restaurants in Clarksville, so there's always things to do.

We loved Campbell, but I know lots of people who have also hated it. They refer to it as the "black hole" because a lot of times, once you're there, you stay there for awhile. We were trying to stay because it's closest to "home" for both of us, but the Army had other plans.

If you have any other questions, let me know.
    "whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same." -emily bronte
    fashion lust!
    http://www.iwouldtotallywearthat.blogspot.com
  3. Senior Member
    Thanks girl, that does help. I'm nervous because it will be our first PCS and we've never been so far from home, but so far I'm hearing a lot of good things about this duty station so I think its going to be good.
  4. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    We are stationed at Campbell, but me and my kids are not there right now. We live on post and like it just fine. If you move off post I would steer clear of Oak Grove. Hopkinsville is ok from what I hear. The area around exit 11 of Clarksville (also known as the Sango area) is full of newer houses and more options of being close to stuff. It takes us a little under an hour to get to Nashville and there is always something going on in Nashville.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by candypants View Post
    My husband was there for 6 years and I visited a lot while he was there. We also lived there for a couple months together before we PCS'd. While we were there the housing wasn't too nice (unless you're an E-5 w/at least two kids, then you get the newer housing which is really nice). The housing market there is pretty cheap, but friends of ours are PCSing and can't sell or rent their house, so keep that in mind if you think about buying. They live in Oak Grove, which is just outside of Gate 4 on the Kentucky side. There's also Hopkinsville which is a little further down the road. Like any bigger town, Clarksville has it's good parts and it's bad parts. There's certain places I def wouldn't live, but some places are really nice.

The post itself is nice, there's a new PX which is huge, and I heard they were redoing the commy, but I'm not sure if that's been finished (I haven't been on post in like 2 years). It's a decent sized post, but easy to navigate. Idk what else to really tell you about it...

You're about an hour from Nashville which, IMO, is one of the best cities in the US. There's so much to do and the nightlife is AMAZING. I loved going there, it was always a good time. There's also a mall, random stores (like Kohl's and Hobby Lobby) and tons of restaurants in Clarksville, so there's always things to do.

We loved Campbell, but I know lots of people who have also hated it. They refer to it as the "black hole" because a lot of times, once you're there, you stay there for awhile. We were trying to stay because it's closest to "home" for both of us, but the Army had other plans.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

To the bold: The reason they can't sell it was probably the location. Oak Grove can be pretty sketch depending on where you are, so most people avoid the area. Clarksville is nice, and they are redoing a bunch of housing on post. DH and I happened upon a new neighborhood they just built the other day, but it really is rank and how many kids you have that determines how nice it is.

There is PLENTY of cheap housing around the exit one area, mostly new construction so finding somewhere to live shouldn't be hard. We live off exit one n they have built probably 10 houses in our neighborhood alone in the past 4-6 months, and our neighborhood isn't that big.

I have only lived here a few months (DH has been here 4 years), but I'm pretty sure the new commy isn't done yet. It's not as new as the PX so I'm assuming though. I don't shop there much cuz we live off post and it's more convenient to go to off base.

I'm not a huge fan of Clarksville, because I went to school in a much larger town with more shopping/restaurants are offered, however I LOVE how close we are to Nashville. Gives me something to do when I get bored.

If you have any questions let me know.
    misskrissyo is my partner in crime Fifi is my lover

6. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    No the new commisary is not done yet.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    We are at Campbell but live 20 miles from Clarksville. We are 1/2 way between Clarksville and Nashville for several reasons but not many Military families live out here, although there are a few within a few miles of us.

We went ahead and put our names on the waiting list for housing b/c I was very pregnant when we PCS'd and we were looking to buy. We did get a house but it was the same week we closed on our home so it was needed! Some of the housing on post is old, in fact my inlaws were stationed here 30 years ago and their house (& neighborhood) is still being used! Most of the officer housing is new and it's pretty nice.

As far as Clarksville goes it has been one of the fastest growing cities in the US the past few years. Like a PP said you aren't far from Nashville and it has a lot to offer! Since we are 1/2 way between the two we actually go to Nashville more.

If you need anything or have any more questions just PM me.
  8. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    Quote Originally Posted by settles View Post
    We are at Campbell but live 20 miles from Clarksville. We are 1/2 way between Clarksville and Nashville for several reasons but not many Military families live out here, although there are a few within a few miles of us.

We went ahead and put our names on the waiting list for housing b/c I was very pregnant when we PCS'd and we were looking to buy. We did get a house but it was the same week we closed on our home so it was needed! Some of the housing on post is old, in fact my inlaws were stationed here 30 years ago and their house (& neighborhood) is still being used! Most of the officer housing is new and it's pretty nice.

As far as Clarksville goes it has been one of the fastest growing cities in the US the past few years. Like a PP said you aren't far from Nashville and it has a lot to offer! Since we are 1/2 way between the two we actually go to Nashville more.

If you need anything or have any more questions just PM me.

That is what we are thinking of doing if me and my husband decide to get back together. I am looking to move to Ashland City. We looked into it before we PCS'd here but then decided to live on post. Now we are ready to move off post into a more rural setting.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by BeccaCCK View Post
    That is what we are thinking of doing if me and my husband decide to get back together. I am looking to move to Ashland City. We looked into it before we PCS'd here but then decided to live on post. Now we are ready to move off post into a more rural setting.
    We are very very close to ACity!
  10. Senior Member
    Thanks so much ladies, you have all been very helpful. I think we are leaning towards moving on post.. though we have never done that before. We have a dog and so far I've only been able to find apartments for the BAH rate we will be getting there, its a lot lower than it is at our current duty station. My husband is in the process of making SGT, should have it before we PCS.. no kids yet though, so I don't know what housing we would qualify for. Either way, I was looking at the housing website and it all looks nicer than the housing is here! It will be our first move with the army so I don't know how it all works, I'm super nervous!