Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: College Ft. Drum

1. Regular Member

College Ft. Drum

Advertisements
    DF is heading up to Ft. Drum this week and we are planning to get married very soon. He will only let me come up there if I can fin a school to transfer to. I am currently attending a 4 yr university working on my bachelors degree in human development. Are there any schools close to Drum that offer bachelors?
  2. Senior Member
    there really isnt a whole lot around ft drum. . . however you could try to do a schedule where you would only have to commute like every other day or something and then you could do a commute to either suny oswego or suny potsdam which are about an hour each, depending where he is living around the base etc. The closest school up there is Jefferson Community College but that's only a 2 yr.
  3. Regular Member
    How well do you think commuting would work during the winter? I currently live in the Appalachian Mountains so I am used to some snow but not this magnitude.
  4. Senior Member
    You just need to get the right vehicle. There can be really bad storms but a lot of professors commute too from syr etc so you get classes cancelled, or you can get the notes to make up if you need to skip your first class or something to make it on time. It really depends on the teachers etc. It's all highway driving though for the most part and once the plows get out you're good to go.
  5. Senior Member
    where do you live now?
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Hi we're stationed at Ft Drum, I was going to Suny Canton, it's a little over an hour from base which is why we live about 30 min from the school and 40 from post. I wont lie the commute was terrible especially with a lot of the weather. Due to the probability of PCS'ing very soon I put off a semester and am going to finish my degree online, do you know if your major is offered online? Like PP said Jefferson CC is only a two year school, Suny Canton and St Lawrence are about an hour and ten from post, and Suny Potsdam & Clarkson University a little less than an hour and 20 minutes.

Congratulations on your coming marriage
  7. Regular Member
    Thank you all so much! I have a lot of researching and applying to do before the fall term. I'm currently in NC so this is going to be a HUGE change for me.
  8. Senior Member
    I live in the area. There are no 4 year schools within an hour I'd say. There is a community college that does distance learning. But within an hour or so, there is SUNY Upstate, Canton, Potsdam, Clarkson Univ., etc.

Good luck!
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Me: Massachusetts/ Him: Massachusetts (for now)
    My University is a four hour drive from Drum, but I'm not sure if you're considering something that far away.
  10. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Blog Entries
    I live in the Rochester area, there are a lot of schools in the area near Ft Drum-but it looks like the closest would be Empire State College. They have a program for Human Development- here Human Development for Students Matriculated After October 1, 2009

Hope this helps. Anything else-I would be glad to help since I am a college student and I have a DB about to head to Iraq after training on Ft Bliss.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast