Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are some good Chesapeake/VA Beach/Norfolk neighborhoods?

1. ------------------
    ------------------

What are some good Chesapeake/VA Beach/Norfolk neighborhoods?

Advertisements
    We are PCSing to Norfolk in March and I am stalking rental sites. From the research I have done, I am thinking Deep Creek, Great Bridge, or Greenbriar might be good. Can you guys tell me some names of specific neighborhoods in the area that are nice (and which to stay away from)? Feel free to mention any neighborhoods in Norfolk, VA Beach, Portsmouth or Chesapeake that might be a good match.

Here is our "wish list":

• Great schools (elementary/middle)
    • SAFE, quiet (our boys play outside most of the time)
    • We are thinking $1600-1800/mo
    • 3-4 bedrooms, 2000+ sq ft
    • Big (or decent sized) fenced backyard
    • Prefer it if the houses were set back from the street a bit (large front yard)
    • We'd prefer it if the houses were more than 3-4 yards from each other
    • A neighborhood where a lot of people don't park on the street (safety issue for the kids)
    • No more than 30min from the Kempsville Rd/Centerville Turnpike intersection would be a plus.

Also, can you tell me the commute times from these areas to the ships, with and without rush-hour?

Thanks!
  2. Senior Member

Wish I could help ya. DH and I rent an apartment in Norfolk.

Wifey to Moonbeam0328 and SoldiersKitten

3. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Quote Originally Posted by JRal View Post
    We are PCSing to Norfolk in March and I am stalking rental sites. From the research I have done, I am thinking Deep Creek, Great Bridge, or Greenbriar might be good. Can you guys tell me some names of specific neighborhoods in the area that are nice (and which to stay away from)? Feel free to mention any neighborhoods in Norfolk, VA Beach, Portsmouth or Chesapeake that might be a good match.

Here is our "wish list":

• Great schools (elementary/middle)
    • SAFE, quiet (our boys play outside most of the time)
    • We are thinking $1600-1800/mo
    • 3-4 bedrooms, 2000+ sq ft
    • Big (or decent sized) fenced backyard
    • Prefer it if the houses were set back from the street a bit (large front yard)
    • We'd prefer it if the houses were more than 3-4 yards from each other
    • A neighborhood where a lot of people don't park on the street (safety issue for the kids)
    • No more than 30min from the Kempsville Rd/Centerville Turnpike intersection would be a plus.

Also, can you tell me the commute times from these areas to the ships, with and without rush-hour?

Thanks!
    I lived in the Greenbrier area of Chesapeake. I enjoyed my neighborhood and really miss it. There are small parks in the neighborhood, a good size lake to walk around and sidewalks(trails) that go behind homes to walk in. I'll PM you the exact neighborhood.

Our house was 4 bedrooms and 1800 sq ft
  4. ------------------
    ------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsbbgrl View Post
    Wish I could help ya. DH and I rent an apartment in Norfolk.
    Thanks anyways Since having kids, apartment life is just too rough for us. I'd spend the my days saying SHHHHH to my kids as they stomped around.

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    I lived in the Greenbrier area of Chesapeake. I enjoyed my neighborhood and really miss it. There are small parks in the neighborhood, a good size lake to walk around and sidewalks(trails) that go behind homes to walk in. I'll PM you the exact neighborhood.

Our house was 4 bedrooms and 1800 sq ft
    Thank you, and thanks for the PM.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I live in Chesapeake! However I'm in an apartment and not too familiar with good areas for houses and schools, etc. But I can tell you that DB gets to Norfolk in about 15/20 minutes from here. Traffic getting on the base gets pretty bad in the morning so be warned! He usually leaves pretty early to beat that.

Good luck with your move!
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Here are some school reviews for chesapeake..

Greatschools.org Search: chesapeake
  7. ------------------
    ------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by nightingail View Post
    I live in Chesapeake! However I'm in an apartment and not too familiar with good areas for houses and schools, etc. But I can tell you that DB gets to Norfolk in about 15/20 minutes from here. Traffic getting on the base gets pretty bad in the morning so be warned! He usually leaves pretty early to beat that.

Good luck with your move!
    15-20 isn't bad at all. I've been hearing horror stories about the traffic. I have gotten so used to living in smaller cities that it will take some getting used too!!! I've heard parking at the ship can be a pain and is another reason to beat the traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Cdawn45 View Post
    Here are some school reviews for chesapeake..

Greatschools.org Search: chesapeake
    Thanks- I used that site to help me narrow down to Great Bridge/Deep Creek. (That an the sex offender list )
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by JRal View Post
    15-20 isn't bad at all. I've been hearing horror stories about the traffic. I've heard parking at the ship can be a pain and is another reason to beat the traffic.
    Yeah but if he's willing to leave early he can definitely beat it! DB leaves around 5:30 am from here and makes it there in plenty of time, beating traffic, and doesn't have trouble with parking!
  9. ------------------
    ------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by nightingail View Post
    Yeah but if he's willing to leave early he can definitely beat it! DB leaves around 5:30 am from here and makes it there in plenty of time, beating traffic, and doesn't have trouble with parking!
    How about getting home? Is traffic as bad then?
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

It depends on the time. Usually DB works past the normal rush hour time so he has no problems. But even then it's really not bad - maybe some congestion but not stop and go or dead stopped traffic.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast