Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: live in hampton, stationed at naval station norfolk?

1. Regular Member
    Blog Entries

live in hampton, stationed at naval station norfolk?

Advertisements
    Hey ladies,

So, if any of you have experienced living in Hampton and traveling to the base, I really need some input! Before my husband deployed, we lived in the deep creek area of chesapeake, and the drive was terrible, at least an hour every day, sometimes maybe two. I have found a really great place in hampton I'd like to live, but I am a little worried that the HRBT will screw it up for me! If he has to be to work by 6:45, is the traffic that bad going through at the 6-7 am time frame? I know he should be expecting some traffic on the way home, but one to two hours?? I have had such a hard time house/ apartment hunting, I haven't found anything I really liked, or would even potentially settle for in Norfolk/ Virginia beach, so I'm really hoping this will work out. If anyone has any experiences/ advice, I would greatly appreciate it!
  2. Am
    Traveling ANYWHERE that time of day to Norfolk is a nightmare BUT Hampton is much closer than Deep Creek.
  3. Am
    Have you looked in Portsmouth at all? It's even closer.
  4. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    Yep, I didn't like portsmouth. Plus, we would be hitting a tunnel there too. I feel like I've been looking for somwhere to live for two years, lol. I know a lot of people live on the peninsula, and travel to the base every day....people really make it seem like it's the worst thing every though. An hour or less every day will work, so I've got my fingers crossed!
  5. Am
    It feels like the worst thing when you're stuck in it. Could your husband carpool? At least then he could ride and not have the stress of driving everyday.
  6. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    I'm hoping so, there's a couple people on his ship that will be living there too, I just don't know if their schedules are the same. My husband usually has to be in earlier and stay later than everyone, so that's where we always run into problems. It's so hard to find somewhere you actually like down there though! I guess my two biggest concerns are safety and the commute, but I have to have more than a matchbox for $1200 a month!
  7. Am
    Are you looking for a house or an apartment? There are a few apartment complexes on the outskirts of Suffolk (Churchland area) that are safe and fairly inexpensive. They're pretty close to Norfolk but you WOULD have a tunnel. I can set you up with more info on them if you're interested.
  8. You are here.
    You are here.
    yeah, tunnel traffic at the HRBT is usually extremely heavy starting around 6 am, so your SO may have to leave earlier to avoid the traffic jam. Anywhere from 6 to 9:30, 11:30 to 1 and 2:30 to 6:30 on the weekdays (and sometimes during the weekends) he can expect a wait, anywhere from ten minutes to even 45 minutes, add in poor weather, car accidents, breakdowns, semi loads getting stuck, etc and it can go to several hours, or him being detoured to the Monitor Merrimac/James River Bridge with a few thousand other drivers.
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    When we 1st moved here we lived in Hampton. HORRIBLE traffic. Unless he left at 430-5am it was baaaad.

Now we live in Suffolk and he uses the midtown tunnel and there is still traffic on hampton blvd. But it isn't as bad as much as the HRBT was.

You can almost guarantee that everyday will be bad using the HRBT. lol
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    We live in Deep Creek and DH doesn't have too bad of a drive unless there is an accident or something. His normal commute is like 45 minutes at the most, but we don't have to go through any tunnels or anything with where we live. The worst part about it for us are the bridges around here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast