Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got Our Orders.VA anyone?

1. Regular Member

Got Our Orders.VA anyone?

Advertisements
    We got our orders very early. We are going to Quantico. The hubs might be there in March if we can get our orders modified , but if not he will be going in June which is when we will be getting there. We called housing and WHAT THE FLIP is up with the housing area there!!!????? Its a NIGHTMARE!!! , but We refuse to live out in town since that is what we are doing here in Chicago. I have never been anywhere in VA does anyone else live down there that can tell me about their experience with the housing and local area?
  2. Senior Member
    When we lived there, we bought a townhouse in Stafford. We had friends that lived in the housing there though, and they had just got done building them. They were really nice. I have never dealt with the housing office there though, so I can't help you with that.

3. Regular Member
    We have been looking for some available housing there on the AHRN but we are finding nothing , but we only want temp housing so that will be more difficult to find. I am thinking that we may have to just stay here till they have a place for us, the more i talk to some people the more down i get about going there.
  4. Senior Member

I'm in Norfolk now but I used to live near Quantico. Can't really help with your housing question..but I have friends stationed there that live out in town in Stafford.

Wifey to Moonbeam0328 and SoldiersKitten

5. You are here.
    You are here.
    Real Estate Information Network, Inc.

we found our last rental place with this website. Housing can very, there is at least 10 to 20 housing areas to choose from, spread out all through Hampton Roads, so you can literally choose which place you want to live and then just hope they have an opening or not a long wait on the waiting list (yes, you may have a 3 month to a year wait). But I think you may have to wait until you have hard copy orders to even get on the lists. There are some newer housing (probably with a long wait as well) outside of Little Creek, out Carolina Meadows and some single family housing in the shipyards but there are some older ones as well. It just a crapshoot on what's available, where you want to live and how long of a wait you can have.

Local area can vary, crime is high (its big area with alot of people crammed into it) traffic can be bad at times ( five tunnels, a lot of bridges, and all those people with places to go.) and taxes can be high, cost of living is higher than other areas DH and I have lived in. Weather can vary, but is pretty moderate. It can get hot and humid in the summer, but you won't see a ton of snow for long periods of time (maybe a few day's dusting that can disappear with an hour or two of sunshine) But the beaches are nice, they've only gotten shut down for bacteria a hand ful of times.
  6. Senior Member
    Very Jellie. I grew up in Manassas, about 30 minutes from Quantico. I would give a pinky toe to get orders there. Beautiful country, Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens around the corner... DC and the Smithsonian a decent distance away. amazing.

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - President Ronald Reagan
  7. Regular Member
    Thanks for the info on housing . I may warm up to the idea more when we get the housing issue sorted out but for now it stresses me out.
  8. Rawr. Give me coffee
    Rawr. Give me coffee
    Blog Entries
    I spent the last 7 years in Stafford! I miss that Quantico area so much! I didn't live on base (I wasn't married and didn't meet my DH 'til 09) but my friend's houses were really nice there! If you decide to live off of base, and depending on what part of base your SO will be working at, consider living somewhere that you can access the back gate (Onville Rd.) when highway 95 gets backed up (which is constantly). However, I don't actually recommend ANY of the apt complexes on Onville. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions that are not basae-housing related.
  9. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    We live in Quantico. Housing is very nice. Traffic is terrible so you are better off living on base. We lived in an apartment in Spotsylvania for one month then moved onto housing. Feel free to contact if you have any questions.
  10. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    We got over 6 feet of snow last year.... lol just an fyi, it does get cold here and does snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Frybread View Post
    Real Estate Information Network, Inc.

we found our last rental place with this website. Housing can very, there is at least 10 to 20 housing areas to choose from, spread out all through Hampton Roads, so you can literally choose which place you want to live and then just hope they have an opening or not a long wait on the waiting list (yes, you may have a 3 month to a year wait). But I think you may have to wait until you have hard copy orders to even get on the lists. There are some newer housing (probably with a long wait as well) outside of Little Creek, out Carolina Meadows and some single family housing in the shipyards but there are some older ones as well. It just a crapshoot on what's available, where you want to live and how long of a wait you can have.

Local area can vary, crime is high (its big area with alot of people crammed into it) traffic can be bad at times ( five tunnels, a lot of bridges, and all those people with places to go.) and taxes can be high, cost of living is higher than other areas DH and I have lived in. Weather can vary, but is pretty moderate. It can get hot and humid in the summer, but you won't see a ton of snow for long periods of time (maybe a few day's dusting that can disappear with an hour or two of sunshine) But the beaches are nice, they've only gotten shut down for bacteria a hand ful of times.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast