Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Anyone from Philadelphia?

1. Formerly BooBoo_Bear
    Formerly BooBoo_Bear

Anyone from Philadelphia?

Advertisements
    I'm seriously considering moving to Philly. I had been planning on staying in Kentucky until June atleast, but after talking to my roommate yesterday, I may move in December when my lease is up. She has decided to move back to Ohio, and I don't know if I can afford to release our apartment for 6 months without her (and I don't want to go thru the hassle of moving if it's only going to be short term).

So, is anyone from Philly? What areas should I avoid when apartment searching? Or what areas should I seek out? How are the hospitals? (there are TONS of jobs ) How are the schools? Any tips from a local would be great!

TIA!
  2. Senior Member
    Hey! I lived in Philly until last year (moved to Ohio) and am heading home in a month. I live in NE philly, but I know Center City pretty well, and worked down there.
    Avoid anything that is in West Philly or North Philly. Parts of South Philly are alright. Fishtown is up and comming. Tacony is alright but kinda ghetto-ish. Olney, is the ghetto, avoid it. If you have any futher questions you can ask me. You can live outside the city for pretty cheap too. Is there a specific area you're looking at? Or what do you want to be close to?
    KOP (king of prussia) is in a great location, but can be pricey. Northern Liberities is a really cute neighbor hood in the city. Oh, and avoid Kensington. University City is near the hospitals and schools, try looking here.

The hospital are great. I know from being a patient at 2 of them. CHOP is the childrens hospital which specializes in almost everything, along with St Chris. Temple is great too.
    Schools depend on childrens ages and what locations you are looking at.

I'm Liz

3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bitz View Post
    Hey! I lived in Philly until last year (moved to Ohio) and am heading home in a month. I live in NE philly, but I know Center City pretty well, and worked down there.
    Avoid anything that is in West Philly or North Philly. Parts of South Philly are alright. Fishtown is up and comming. Tacony is alright but kinda ghetto-ish. Olney, is the ghetto, avoid it. If you have any futher questions you can ask me. You can live outside the city for pretty cheap too. Is there a specific area you're looking at? Or what do you want to be close to?
    KOP (king of prussia) is in a great location, but can be pricey. Northern Liberities is a really cute neighbor hood in the city. Oh, and avoid Kensington. University City is near the hospitals and schools, try looking here.

The hospital are great. I know from being a patient at 2 of them. CHOP is the childrens hospital which specializes in almost everything, along with St Chris. Temple is great too.
    Schools depend on childrens ages and what locations you are looking at.

I'm Liz

Liz summed it all up! lol but yes avoid West & North Philly, Olney, Logan. University City & Northern Liberties are probably your best bet. I work/live in Uni City & its great its easy access to alot of things including getting to & thru Center City without the hassle of actually living down Center City. She's right there's the Universities hospitals therefore safety/security is always great & easy to come by. Not to mention the great activity & entertainment, any given day you can walk down the street & find something to do. Ummm Temple is in North Philly i have a few friends that lived (emphasis on livED) on campus & moved off campus bc of the sporadic things that would happen on campus....One more thing what types of schools are you talking are you talking for children or for college?

Some of the Colleges are:
    University of the Sciences in Phila/ Drexel / University of Penn / Walnut Hill College / Temple /LaSalle / St. Jo's /University of Philadelphia / Art Institute / Moore College of... /University of the Arts / Peirce College/ Chestnut Hill / Thomas Jefferson University.

Ugh sigh i'm sure i missed some schools I know most of them bc i was born & in or by University City lol my elementary school was next door to USP & blocks away from UPenn lol. Well thats my 2 cents hope your move is good
  4. I'm doing what? Oh, that's right, I'm doing me.
    I'm doing what? Oh, that's right, I'm doing me.
    I don't exactly live in Philly, but I go to Villanova and find myself in Philly a fair amount! It's really a fun town, and not a bad substitute for my home area (NYC and it's NY/CT suburbs). It's a great scene down here, there are some fantastic restaurants and kitschy/hipsterish areas to go to. And if you moved out to the Main Line area, it's not bad here either. Society Hill, Rittenhouse, and Old City are some areas I frequent. There are some fun, upscale bars that have a great cocktail!