Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norfolk?!?!

1. Senior Member

Norfolk?!?!

Advertisements
    Hey ladies! Ok, so my husband and I have the options of Guam, Groton and Norfolk for our next orders. He doesn't want Groton and I don't want Guam, so that leaves us with Norfolk! So... my questions are as follows: lol
    What's the area like? Do you like it out there? Is there a lot to do? What about weather, is it decent? And housing, is it hard to get into housing? We are E5 with no kids yet, trying but not yet. Hopefully we'll be at least preggo by the time we move... but we'll see. So is the wait list for housing long or short? And if it's long, are there plenty of areas out in town to get a place? And if we have to go out in town, are the prices reasonable with rent and utilities for the BAH? Thanks ladies for all your help! You have no idea how much I need it right now!!!

2. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    When we put ourself on the list it was only 3 months but we decided to stay off post but that was for ft story and I am not sure where your going. The weather here is sunny and rainy the next so its normal for me. I live 20 mins from norfolk. I do know norfolk apartments are alot cheapter then virginia beach. Sorr cant be of more help.
  3. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by WordensWife819 View Post
    Hey ladies! Ok, so my husband and I have the options of Guam, Groton and Norfolk for our next orders. He doesn't want Groton and I don't want Guam, so that leaves us with Norfolk! So... my questions are as follows: lol
    What's the area like? Do you like it out there? Is there a lot to do? What about weather, is it decent? And housing, is it hard to get into housing? We are E5 with no kids yet, trying but not yet. Hopefully we'll be at least preggo by the time we move... but we'll see. So is the wait list for housing long or short? And if it's long, are there plenty of areas out in town to get a place? And if we have to go out in town, are the prices reasonable with rent and utilities for the BAH? Thanks ladies for all your help! You have no idea how much I need it right now!!!
    The area is pretty nice. Traffic is an issue, the tunnels and parts of 64/264 does become congested during rush hours (6-9 am and 3-6 pm). Its a big area with a large populatiuon, so there is crime, its not rampant, but its there. I liked it, we made the most of it. Weather is pretty normal for a temperate area. It gets hot in the summers, nice and mild in the spring and the fall, and cool in the winter. You may have two weeks where it might hit near 32 degrees, a day or two with snow/slush. They get rain, sometimes a few strong storms (they had a tornado a while back in Suffolk). You do run the risk of encountering Nor'easter's, but they aren't so bad, just a lot of rain and cooler weather.

Event wise, yes, there is a lot to do in the area. Certainly can keep you busy doing the summer months, especially Va Beach. Housing, I have heard it depends on what area you want to live in. I have heard Little Creek housing can have a 3-6 month wait, but housing in Portsmouth, and Northwest(in Chesapeake near the NC border) can have a a month or two wait. We never lived in housing, but the ones in Little Creek (sandbridge?) are new and really nice.
  4. Senior Member
    Agreed with the above poster. The traffic can make you want to rip your eyes out if you catch the tunnel at the wrong time, but many big cities are like that. Housing wait is about 3 months I think, depending on the size you're going for. We have two children and are expecting our third this summer, so I haven't had to look at single homes. There's a site where you can find the average wait times by city and size, I'll see if I can find it.

Weather is pretty much as described Frybread described. There are a few storms, but I always found them exciting and not really worrisome. Of course, I was raised in New Orleans...

Best part of being stationed in Norfolk is the variety of area. You can live in Virginia Beach, Newport News, Norfolk, etc. There are tons of options and there's always something to do. Hell, even Williamsburg and Busch Gardens and all that stuff isn't too far away.

BAH seems to be well over the actual price of rent/living there, depending (of course) on where you choose to live. But if you decide to live in Norfolk rather than, say, VA Beach, you two will probably be able to save quite a bit. The schools seem to be pretty decent, though there are always exceptions. I know nothing about the schools affiliated with the military housing area, however. Sorry!
    "No matter how much your heart is aching, there is beauty in the breaking."

Start the countdown, he comes home soon!
  5. Army Wife
    Army Wife
    My BIL is in the Navy and has been stationed there for the last 10 years or so. He Loves it and hopes he can continue to stay there. He lives offpost in Newport News
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Just popping in to let you know that if you do get Groton, it's really not all that bad! lol
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KristaLee View Post
    Just popping in to let you know that if you do get Groton, it's really not all that bad! lol
    Oh, I know it's not! We've just been there already and are ready for a new place. My husband has actually been there twice and hasn't been to fond of the place either time! He's special! lol

8. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Oh, okay! Well I can understand that, haha. Hopefully your husband will enjoy the next place! haha
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KristaLee View Post
    Oh, okay! Well I can understand that, haha. Hopefully your husband will enjoy the next place! haha
    Thanks! I hope so too!!!

10. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    When we lived there, my DH was in the Newport news shipyard and we lived in Chesapeake on the Northwest base when we first got there. He had a 45 mile commute one way a day. We had to take the house there because it was what was open in a normal time frame. I hated the Southside. HATED IT!

Then they tore our old house down and when they did we moved to the Yorktown Weapons station. Lived in a ranch house, nice yard and in a nice area. His commute was cut to 20 minutes down Warwick. I liked the northside a lot.

We were 10 minutes from Bush Gardens, Water Country, Williams burg and the outlets. We never had to deal with the traffic of 64, 264 and 664.

I guess it depends on what base your DH will be working on. It was better for us on the Northside because mine was in Newport News.

Good Luck
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast