Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: D.C. Area

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

D.C. Area

Advertisements
    We will be moving to the D.C. area and I am wondering what places are good areas to live. My husband will be working somewhere in the D.C. area. We have one child. Any suggestions would be great.
    Thanks
  2. Senior Member
    It depends on how far you will like to drive. Are you getting stationed in Dc or aroudn the Dc area. Plus depends if you want to live in Maryland, Dc, or Virgina. As far as locations in Maryland, DONT MOVE TO PRINCE GEORGES (PG)COUNTY!!! Mont Co. in Md is expensive to live in. Othere counties have atleast one county between them and DC. I live in Charles Co. Maryland. If you chose to look at Charles county waldorf is sub PG. I dont know to much about VA, you would have to ask some of the VA ladies about that. Dc is split, part high class with money and the other part poor on welfare trying to get free rides. Hope that helps.
    It took longer than we thought. Now 2 IUI's, 3 IVF's, 1 FET .
    One day at a time, one step at a time, and one day we will get there.
    DS Feb 2013 and Adopted DS Aug 2012
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    You might have to sell the kid. Very expensive!!!! I'm thinking of donating a kidney or selling my first born myself. What Krissy said. NO Prince George. If you're buying a house, the taxes in MD are high. It depends on where he'll be working. There's Woodbridge, VA, Manassas, VA, Fairfax County, VA. My husband is staying with a friend in Annapolis right now. The commute to Bethesda is horrible. Not distance wise, traffic wise. You want to live outside the belt. Does he want to take the metro?
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    We arent sure exactly where he will be working. He got a position with the DIA while still in the Army. He is willing to use public transportation. We are open to living anywhere as long as it is safe and not crappy.
  5. Senior Member
    Well public transportation will only work if the hours work for him. Metro I want to say during work week dont start till like 5 or 530 am. The buses about the same time. Md the 3 highest places to live as far as taxes go is PG, MO. and Arundle Co's. We live in Charles county. I have a house 2 x my grandma's and she lives in Pg and my taxes are cheaper. It just depends on what your looking for. Theres alot I could tell ya but kinda need to know what ya looking for. What kinda drive is he willing to do? Because I drive hour to work. and I work about 5 miles out of dc. So it depends on your hubby. Do u plan on being a stay at home mom in this area? Or working? I know when my dh gets BAH (hes only partimer lol with under 8 years in) he gets just over 1900. Cable/internet/phone all in one about 120, ele ours average is 160, so it depends on what ya looking for. Any question you can email me at krissywave@yahoo.com (just put something eye catching in the subject or i might delete it)
    It took longer than we thought. Now 2 IUI's, 3 IVF's, 1 FET .
    One day at a time, one step at a time, and one day we will get there.
    DS Feb 2013 and Adopted DS Aug 2012
  6. Senior Member
    NW DC if you want in DC, do not move to NE or to far SE. Outside of the city I have no idea... I live right in D.C
  7. Senior Member
    I'd go with Charles County. Waldorf is pretty awesome! Please feel free to PM me with any questions
  8. I'm from the south and sometimes I have a big mouth
    I'm from the south and sometimes I have a big mouth
    Dont live in the town that starts with an S. Sunderland I think. NOVA is good as is Charles County. Avoid PG county at all costs.
  9. Beltway Bandit
    Beltway Bandit
    Blog Entries
    Definitely wait to find out the location of his job before you commit to anything. Many DIA jobs are on Bolling AFB, which is in the extreme southeast corner of DC, east of the Anacostia River. Commutewise, Alexandria VA would be a good place to live if he was working on Bolling, but it's very expensive.
  10. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Yeah I would wait to see where he will be located before deciding where to move...because traffic is a bear. I used to live in Anne Arundle county and commuted to Tysons. then I moved to herndon, which is a nice area. Now I live inside the beltway close to a metro. So really it depends on where he will be working. Once you find out if you need any assistance feel free to PM me.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast