Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Norfolk gals...

1. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!

Norfolk gals...

Advertisements
    How do you all like living there? We may be moving there if Bryan decides to go to school at Old Dominion University via STA-21. It's either there or The Citadel. But we're leaving more told ODU since we'd be closer to Bryan's family in PA. But anywho, if you have any info or links to lend, I'd greatly appreciate it. TIA!!!
  2. Senior Member
    Well I live on the Hampton/Newport News line. It's alright, but I am a country girl at heart so I dont like the city!!!! But I have not had any problems where I live. There is so much to do around here though!!! Hope this helps!!!
  3. Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!
    Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!
    Honestly, I can't stand it here. The people are rude, theres too much traffic (which isn't bad, I'm from DC so I'm used to it but in a city with drivers from all over the country, no one drives the same!), the crime rate isn't the greatest, people take advantage of the military personell (offering incentives then charging them a high APR and the minute they're late on a payment, they reposess), etc.

I'd say the only plus is being so close to everything. It's great for people who like the night life, shopping, museums, things to kep you busy...

ODU is a great university, they do have other campuses though. (Are you planning on moving out here with the military? If so, good luck, they don't do many coast to coast moves anymore) If you want to be close to PA, try the ODU campus in Sterling, VA. It's a better area, its more expensive but you'll feel more safe!

Good Luck! If you need any more specifics, feel free to ask!

4. Senior Member
    I dont really like it, im from PA so i like the country. Traffic stinks and no one can drive, finding a job sucks. I guess it really depends on what you are use to, i was tossed from the boonedocks to down here so its driving me insane The only nice thing about it is theres stuff to do and everything is close other than that id like to go back into the woods.
    Ive been bitch slapped

5. Lifes hard... get a helmet.
    Lifes hard... get a helmet.
    OK I have to disagree with some of the other ladies. I love it here, I grew up 30 minutes from hampton roads and have lived within a hour of here all my life so I guess i'm partial. The traffic is bad, I'm not gonna lie. But the people can are nice. And crimes not as bad as it seems. As for ODU its a great school ( thats where I went). If you have any specific questions send me a pm
    Please Remember to follow OPSEC!!!

Life is hard.... Wear a helmet
  6. Senior Member
    I'm in Portsmouth, I dont like my area or my apartment complex... GHETTO! I do like Virginia though Lemme know if you need anything
  7. Dreams come true... I am living mine
    Dreams come true... I am living mine
    I grew up in Hampton Roads. I have lived in Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Hampton and now Norfolk. While there is crime... there is crime no matter where you live. I feel that it is a great place to live. I do not find that traffic bothers me because I have learned the back roads. I does not take me long to get to anywhere in Hampton Roads. I have enjoyed living in Norfolk the most. I am currently in military housing. I love it. The area is nice. Most of the people are nice. It is true that there are some rude people here... but I am almost positive that you will find that anywhere!! If you have any questions please feel free to PM me.
    DREAMS CAN COME TRUE
  8. well, Mommy of 7 now! ;)
    well, Mommy of 7 now! ;)
    well we live in the small town of Franklin (about an hour and 20 mins from ODU) and we LOVE it here!!! this town is awesome, the people are the best! Ive never felt more at home. but thats Franklin. I have not lived in Norfolk, or the other areas surrounding it, to give my opinion about the area. best of luck!

Navy Wife and Mom to 7 Lil Monkeys
  9. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Quote Originally Posted by AG3Wife View Post
    Honestly, I can't stand it here. The people are rude, theres too much traffic (which isn't bad, I'm from DC so I'm used to it but in a city with drivers from all over the country, no one drives the same!), the crime rate isn't the greatest, people take advantage of the military personell (offering incentives then charging them a high APR and the minute they're late on a payment, they reposess), etc.

I'd say the only plus is being so close to everything. It's great for people who like the night life, shopping, museums, things to kep you busy...

ODU is a great university, they do have other campuses though. (Are you planning on moving out here with the military? If so, good luck, they don't do many coast to coast moves anymore) If you want to be close to PA, try the ODU campus in Sterling, VA. It's a better area, its more expensive but you'll feel more safe!

Good Luck! If you need any more specifics, feel free to ask!
    Thanks for the info! But unfortunately he has to attend the main campus since that's where the ROTC program is located. Yes, we're planning on moving with the military since Bryan will still be active duty. So we will most likely checkout the military housing first, before looking out in town.

Since we HAD orders to SC, there shouldn't be a problem with us getting moved to VA.

Thanks again! You've been helpful!
  10. Senior Member
    We will be there before too long too. Thanks, I know I didn't make the post but this post helped me as well
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast