Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Housing near Ft. Drum

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Housing near Ft. Drum

Advertisements
    I'm going to check the other Ft. Drum thread, but also wanted some other input. What are the closest areas to rent off-post? We're going to get on the housing list, but also would like some back-up plans if the list is super long (which it seems to be). I'm not even sure where to start looking or how much to expect rent to be. I'm used to paying about $800-$850 for a 2 BR back in MN (it's a ton cheaper here in KY), but am not sure if that's really low compared to NY. Is there anyplace we should avoid? It's the two of us, but I'm pregnant so there will be us and a baby. I want to make sure the area is safe and relatively crime-free. I heard a rumor that the crime rate is high, but have read otherwise.

Any other housing tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance ladies and I look forward to hopefully meeting a few of you once we get there in January!
    "whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same." -emily bronte
    fashion lust!
    http://www.iwouldtotallywearthat.blogspot.com
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Here is some general info about the area, i duno if you looked or not
    Fort Drum, New York (NY 13602) profile: population, maps, real estate, averages, homes, statistics, relocation, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, moving, houses, news

I'm also messaging my friend Kim who lived in that area her whole life and then married a guy stationed at Drum. I'm going to ask her for general info and all that jazz.
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks! I'm looking online and rental properties in Watertown and surrounding areas.
    fashion lust!
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Last edited by LindsayLin; 01-03-2010 at 11:52 PM.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LindsayLin View Post
    Watertown, Evans Mills, Calcium, Black River, Carthage

Those are all towns surrounding Drum. We live in Watertown, we own our home. The crime rate is pretty low here, compared with most big cities. There are several registered sex offenders, so just make sure you check the watchdog site before you sign a lease.
    Thank you! I'm looking at rental properties in all those towns. Are there any places you know off-hand I should avoid?
    fashion lust!
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Last edited by LindsayLin; 01-03-2010 at 11:53 PM.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LindsayLin View Post
    Its really hard to say, I don't know much about the other towns, but every street in W'Town is different. If you find anything that interests you and you want me to drive past, let me know!
    Well it seems that the majority of the properties are owned by the same company because the prices and the pictures are all the same. I wrote down phone numbers for Truscott Terrace and DC Properties. I couldn't tell much by the pictures, but we're just looking for a 2 BR 1 BA (although a 2 BA would be nice). I'm trying to keep it under like $1,000 if at all possible, and the average seems to be about $850-900.

I just don't want to get there and be living in a craphole apartment (excuse my wording).

If you happen to drive past anything that looks decent and remember the name, just let me know! Thanks a lot!
    fashion lust!
  8. Senior Member

DH and i are renting a townhouse from WoodCliff, here's the website Woodcliff Community - Welcomimg Fort Drum families

they are older townhouses but they are a decent place. and pretty decent pricing too. And i know for a fact they have apartments and townhouses available

9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ~LinnyAnne~ View Post
    DH and i are renting a townhouse from WoodCliff, here's the website Woodcliff Community - Welcomimg Fort Drum families

they are older townhouses but they are a decent place. and pretty decent pricing too. And i know for a fact they have apartments and townhouses available
    Thanks! I will definitely add it to my list!
    fashion lust!