Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: PCSing to Quantico by 11/30 help!

1. Regular Member

Help PCSing to Quantico by 11/30 help!

Advertisements
    So after deciding to get out, we got new orders and took them to PCS from Pendleton to Quantico!!
    We're from NY so we're closer to home! OMG....

I know nothing about the area, and we have to be there by the end of Nov. I am waiting for the gunny to get me a hard copy of his orders until he gets back from training. (They are trying to get him out of the field.) i did not know it would be that big of an issue for him to get back here to start his papers, TMO, finance, unit diary, etc....

Aanyways...We have to get TMO done, moving arrangements, and find housing. We live off base here, and want to live off base in VA.

I am a medical device company administrator (grants) and I am on the job hunt now. I just gave them my notice today (:sad)

If anyone knows the towns in the area off base to look, any jobs/companies to look into would be great. Is the traffic as bad as it is here in San Diego area? Cost of living,etc? i know the BAH is $300 less at Quantico, is that realistic?

TIA all!!
    I'm Sue!
  2. just call me Brando
    just call me Brando
    The ONLY reason I hated living in Quantico was because of the traffic! I used to work at a school that was 3 miles from where I lived and it would sometimes take me over and hour to get there. It was ridiculous! But if you're used to the San Diego traffic, it might not be such a shock to you.

I would literally plan out my day and errands around when I thought traffic would be minimal. Although there really isn't any rhyme or reason to the traffic there.

As far as the area, it's really pretty around there, there is a lot to do if you don't mind traveling north towards DC and such. But then again, you have to factor in the traffic!

Most people who live off base look in the Stafford area. Some people go as far as Fredericksburg, because it's a lot cheaper. It just really depends on what you're interested in. We chose to get a small apartment (we were just married and didn't have a lot of stuff) so that we actually made money off of our BAH every month.

I wouldn't recommend the Woodbridge area. It's ok, but it's heavily congested.

As far as cost of living, if you're used to California prices, you will be ok. I would definitely recommend shopping at the comissary as often as possible. The exchange there is really nice as well, it was just completely remodeled recently.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    we are moving to Woodbridge Dec. 1.
    We toured all through Springfield, Fairfax, Woodbridge...
    Woodbridge was the worst with traffic but that was the ONLY con.....
  4. Senior Member
    I love Fredericksburg, definitely where I would live, but I love historic cities.
  5. Regular Member
    Anyone live in apartment complexes?
    We're trying to find places! (I made another post in this forum...we leave Nov 9th!!!)
    I'm Sue!
  6. Junior Member
    Congrats on being able to move closer to home! Traffic is pretty intense down there but I do not know what it is like out in CA so I can not compare. I worked at Quantico and lived in Fairfax it took forever to get there. The traffic is a huge down fall about that area but everything else is great! I don't know anything about the BAH or housing but I can tell you a bit about the area of Northern Virginia. Good luck with everything!
  7. Happiness Is A Choice :D
    Happiness Is A Choice :D
    We don't live there but we have driven up that way often for DC and friends that live in Woodbridge and Ikea and traffic is TERRIBLE! I don't know what is like in Cali but I figured traffic couldn't be any worse than Dallas (where we are from) but it is

Im not sure if they do this at Quantico but at Langley when we got here we went and talked to housing and they have a military partnership program. They gave us a list of a ton of local apartments and when sign with one of them they take your rent out twice a month automatically (instead of paying it in one lump sum) and you also get a discount. I would defiantly check into it, we love it.
  8. Regular Member
    I was told to stay out of Woodbridge. I made another post about apts because the ones I have looked up have HORRID reviews. We're looking online for the Fredericksburg area. After our most recent experience we're not doing site unseen again.
    I can't wait to get there and get a place. The whole being in transit and limbo thing is going to SUCK.

Coming from San Diego, I really wonder how bad the traffic could be there...
    I'm Sue!
  9. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    IMO, traffic is worse up there than San Diego and I'm from San Diego.
  10. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    IMO, traffic is worse up there than San Diego and I'm from San Diego.
    I was really hoping you wouldn't say that...
    I'm Sue!