Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PAX River?

1. JenJen

PAX River?

Advertisements
    Can someone give me more info on this? My hubby just got orders to go there. Any information would be great. Thanks!
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by JenJen View Post
    Can someone give me more info on this? My hubby just got orders to go there. Any information would be great. Thanks!
    I'm bias..Anywhere on the east is beautiful. My parents have a summer home on the water near the PAX... You'll have a blast..
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Personally we hated it there. We have some friends there now, too and they don't like it either. Pax is growing so it is gradually getting new and better things to do. But to me it is still a very small town with not much and it is pretty expensive for being so little. We looked at a house to buy back in 2001. It was a one floor brick ranch, 3 bedrooms, and 1 bath, with no basement or garage and it was 92,000. To me that was a bit steep for that house since it wasn't that nice. Our apartment was a 2 bedroom/2 bath for 650. We were right next door to a school (I can't remember what grades it was. I do know it wasn't elementary) and across the street from the crack corner (didn't know this til awhile after moving in). They do have an oyster festival. I think it is in the summer/late spring. I know it was before August when we were there. Their hospital is really small. I think 2 floors. I had Breanna there. It was nice. The staff was nice, the rooms were nice, food was ok. There is a college near by. I forget what it is called right now. The mall is in Waldorf which is about 45 minutes away. The old housing is being torn down and rebuilt right now. There are newer buildings but all the old ones are being rebuilt. I have been inside the newer ones and they are really nice. I do want to warn you of the traffic. There are only a couple main roads so come rush hour it can take a bit. I know there was a day it snowed and they shut everything down, the schools, base, everything. The roads were soooooo backed up. I do have to say we watched the fireworks on base at 4th of July and they were really nice. They set them off on Soliman's Island (I know I just butchered the spelling of that place, please forgive me) so we saw them over the Chesapeake Bay, very pretty and romantic. If you want I can talk to my friends that are there now and get you some more info. Do you know when you will moving?
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    But also take in mind that there is so much to do around the PAX area.. DC, MD, VA, NYC, NJ etc etc etc...I'll trade you any day.
  5. Crystal
    I was there 2002-2005 and Jack was there from 2000-2005 and we both really enjoyed the area. We lived over the bridge in Lusby which is right past Solomon's Island. I am from MD so I loved being 2 hours from my parents. You are about 2 hours from DC and Baltimore. I know it has changed a lot in the 1 1/2 years we have been gone. I think are some girls that are there now.
  6. JenJen
    Quote Originally Posted by BLBnJVB3 View Post
    Do you know when you will moving?
    we don't have an exact date, but we are suppossed to get it sometime this week. I can't wait to find out!!
  7. Live&Learn
    Live&Learn
    Last edited by andrea; 11-15-2014 at 05:31 PM.
  8. Crystal
    Andrea, can I just tell you I am jealous of all the new stores that have opened since we have left. Yea I saw the new BR and a Dunkin Donuts they are about 5-10 minutes from where we lived. We lived at the very end of crap I think of the road but we were right on the water across the river from the base. Have you guys been to the Tiki bar? It is a crazy when it opens in the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by andrea View Post
    I'm here in Pax River, and we really like it. My DH and I bought a house when we moved here (in 2004), but I think houses have gotten a little too pricey now. We lived in on-base housing while our home was being built, and it was fairly nice. I don't have anything to compare it to since I have never lived in housing anywhere else. There are a lot of available homes on base, and they even showed us 3 different units that we could choose from. Also, we got a 3 bedroom townhouse and it's only me and my husband.
    If you buy out in town try to avoid anywhere on (or around) Great Mills Rd in Lexington Park. There are some really shady areas over there. Some of the off base housing is over there too, but they are going to be building new housing behind Target. California and Leonardtown are nice areas, and I also think that anywhere over the bridge is nice too.
    We have a lot of regular shopping here: Wal-Mart (which they are converting into a Super Wal-Mart), Target, KMart, BJs, Staples, Michaels, Lowes, B and B Works, Ross, Petsmart, Panera Bread, Best Buy, Old Navy, and Lusby just got a Baskin Robbins (which I was very excited about). And thats just to name a few...all of those places (except BR) are on 235. 235 is the main road and traffic can be backed up during rush hour, but its totally managable.
    There are also some great bars that my friends and I like to go to: anywhere on Solomons, some places in Hollywood too.
    There are some nice beaches on base, but towards the end of summer there are jelly fish in the water.
    Spring and Fall are beautiful! Summer is hot and humid, and there is a constant haze so even if its not cloudy, you can't see the sun.
    They have a great community college in Leonardtown (College of Southern Maryland), and St. Marys College is in St. Mary's City which is a private college.
    I can't really think of anything bad to say about the area except that the movie theater kinda sucks. There is also a theater on base thats like a dollar or two. The gym on base has very nice facilities.

Thats all I can think of now, if you have any questions, let me know.
  9. JenJen
    alright girls. found out today that we have to be to Pax River on the 28th. Can you tell me if you know about the wait time for base housing. Someone said it is 3-4 months, which would completley suck. Any help at all is great actually! I was doing ok but now I am totally nervous because it is only 3 weeks, which sucks. But I guess that is the norm right? LOL! Thanks Crystal and Andrea for the big help. Keep it comin!
    Last edited by JenJen; 11-08-2006 at 12:25 AM.
  10. Living in paradise :D
    Living in paradise :D
    My friends just moved there, they have 1 baby and another on the way. They're renting an apartment while waiting for housing which is a few months wait but I don't know exactly how many months. My friend said the housing was huge and really nice, though!! That's all I know about the area.

And no, 3 weeks notice isn't really the "norm." Usually they give u a few months notice for the move and u have time to set everything up (we had 5 months notice this time for our move we'll be doing in a couple weeks and like over 6 months notice for our last move). I mean a few weeks notice definitely happens, but they usually give u more time than that in most cases. Good Luck with ur move!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast