Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Moving up to Groton area

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Moving up to Groton area

Advertisements
    Hey all! I'm moving up to CT (New London) to join my guy towards the end of August. I'm kind of freaking out about it right now, because there just seems like so much to be done! Fortunately he's already got an apartment, but I'm bringing myself, 3 cats, and 2 horses up to the area.

Sooooo....I'm looking for decent barns, and STUFF TO DO!!

Barnwise - If anyone has suggestions, my big things are that it must have as much turnout as possible with free-choice hay when not on pasture, and barn crew willing to soak my geriatric horse's feed. Indoor arena and trails would be nice, but backyard barns are perfectly fine. Being able to work off some board would be great as well. I'd rather not drive more than 30 min from New London.

I'm coming from Lexington, KY, which is major horse country. What's the horse scene like in CT? Are there a lot of hunter paces, organized rides and so on? Therapeutic riding centers and rescues where I can volunteer?

Other than horsey stuff - I used to row competitively, and would love to join a team again. I enjoy hiking/backpacking/kayaking, play viola, dance (modern/ballet/swing/ballroom), love to go to the theatre and adore cooking, so if you know of outlets for any of the above - let me know!
  2. Senior Member
    Well I can tell you I dont know many places in the area that do the horse stuff you mentioned. I can ask a freind who does horse therapy in MA. She may know of a place around our area. As for rowing I dont know but since we are right on the river I am sure there is a club somewhere near by. Welcome to the town, we shoudl get together once you are moved and settled. What boat (or if not on a boat) is he stationed.
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Awesome - I'm all in favor of meeting folks :-) He's on the Toledo.
  4. Senior Member
    don't know anything about it but
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries
    DB used to ride at this awesome barn in the area. they board horses and have ALL the things you are looking for.
    The horse scene in CT is a little more understated, but the people who are into it are REALLY into it. As DB says "Horsey people." I used to ride, but I gave it up as being too expensive
    And it's a lot more of english and dressage then anything else up here.
    I don't know the name, but I'll ask him for you. He's been out of contact the past few weeks, so I dont know how long it'll be, but it sounds like exactly what you're looking for!
    And the base has a cute little marina where he kept his sailboat, they also have those little run-a-bouts you can rent, as well as kayaks. I didn't see rowboats, but he and I have rowed around the river some, it was fun!
    The Garde in downtown New London usually has decent shows, kinda a little of everything. I've gone to see everything from opera to indie flicks there.
    Feel free to PM me! I live right in downtown New London, and I grew up about an hour or so north so I know a little about the area.