Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Anyone in the Chicago/Great Lakes Area?

1. Senior Member

Neener Anyone in the Chicago/Great Lakes Area?

Advertisements
    So.... I'll be traveling to the Great Lakes to see Alex on the first weekend of March.

And I was wondering if anyone wanted to tell me how to get from the airport to the base super cheap (I was just going to take the airport express, but it's so expensive like $80 roundtrip)

Or maybe wanted to pick me up from the airport and spend some time with me before Alex gets out of class so I don't have to pay so much. I'll give you twenty bucks or something. Better than the forty I'd be spending. If you have kids I'll babysit them for a night with Alex so you can have a nice dinner with your SO.

I don't expect much to come from this, but it was worth a shot.
  2. Senior Member
    Honestly if you are staying the whole weekend, your best bet would be to rent a car. Cabs are expensive. I know there is a train... I'm not sure how much that is though.
  3. Senior Member
    I'll be twenty and unable to rent a car, and I don't think Alex is allowed to rent a car while in A school... sooo..
  4. Senior Member
    You could always take the train.... its not that expensive. Are you coming into O'hare or midway?
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kimly View Post
    You could always take the train.... its not that expensive. Are you coming into O'hare or midway?
    I was thinking about taking the train, but I'd have to take buses/the subway to the train station from the airport according to Google maps.

I'm flying into O'Hare. If you know a secret on how to get to the train that would be AWESOME.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by helloimkaley View Post
    I was thinking about taking the train, but I'd have to take buses/the subway to the train station from the airport according to Google maps.

I'm flying into O'Hare. If you know a secret on how to get to the train that would be AWESOME.
    O'hare.... well its only about 30mins from great Lakes, by taxi or car. BUT if your wanting to go cheap, I would take the bus/train.... it would then be less than $10. OR what hotel are you staying at?? Call them maybe they have a shuttle??

You would have to jump on a bus and then get on a train. There is a train station right here at the base... BUT then you would have to still get to your hotel.

http://tripsweb.rtachicago.com/ tells you exactly what you would need to do and times.

http://www.airportexpress.com/ check out this place they seem pretty cheap... like $40 for round trip.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kimly View Post
    O'hare.... well its only about 30mins from great Lakes, by taxi or car. BUT if your wanting to go cheap, I would take the bus/train.... it would then be less than $10. OR what hotel are you staying at?? Call them maybe they have a shuttle??

You would have to jump on a bus and then get on a train. There is a train station right here at the base... BUT then you would have to still get to your hotel.

http://tripsweb.rtachicago.com/ tells you exactly what you would need to do and times.

http://www.airportexpress.com/ check out this place they seem pretty cheap... like $40 for round trip.
    Awesome, thanks! I was going to use airport express, and it is actually 80 to and from the hotel. But maybe I could take it to the train station. I didn't think about that.

Thanks for the links. Once I get to the train station I'll be fine. Alex will be there and I don't mind walking to the hotel with him. My suitcase has wheels.

8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by helloimkaley View Post
    I'll be twenty and unable to rent a car, and I don't think Alex is allowed to rent a car while in A school... sooo..
    he can rent a car in a school. DH did when he was in A school when we went to Boston