Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NORFOLK HELP!

1. Senior Member

Question NORFOLK HELP!

Advertisements
    Ok so I am planning ahead but since I know absolutely nothing about the area it is proving to be very hard to research home buying. I have to admit it all looks so different than California so I don't really know what to look for as far as earmarks of a bad neighborhood versus a good one. We are anticipating heading that way in about 2 years.

Can anyone give me an idea of where to look for good neighborhoods. We want some property attached to the home. A nice neighborhood and not way out in the boonies nor in the midst of the city as we do like to go out and not spend a fortune on a cab to get back home. Ideally a more artistically inclined and less conservative area would be nice. We don't have kids now but anticipate we will by the time we move. We want to buy a home with 3-4 bedrooms. and we would like to not spend more than 300K if possible.

Oh not sure if this makes a difference but he will be working out of the amphibious base.

Anyway any help you guys can give would be great.
    bye for now
    W~

"Life is too short for drama & petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, Love truly and forgive quickly." -unknown

[/url]
  2. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    I live in the Greenbrier area of Chesapeake and LOVE it greatly!!!!! The zipcode is 23320. I actually shop at the commy at the amphib base. It takes about 15 mins to get there from my house.
  3. Loving Life in Paradise!
    Loving Life in Paradise!
    Blog Entries
    I love where I live too, though I don't think it fits all of your requirements. When I think of artsy areas, I think of Ghent, but you definitely won't get property there with a home.

I live in Ocean Lakes, in Virginia Beach. It's a quiet neighborhood, and I've got a pretty big back yard for the area. But it's more traditional - not stuffy, but not artsy.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
    not stuffy, but not artsy.
    that would work too, thank you so much you guys, I didn't realize cheesapeak was that close, my parents love that area. I am going to add those too my zip code list I am starting.
    bye for now
    W~

"Life is too short for drama & petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, Love truly and forgive quickly." -unknown

[/url]
  5. Formerly BuBBleHeadWifE03!!!
    Formerly BuBBleHeadWifE03!!!
    I liked virginia beach better than norfolk. Ghent is a really nice area too but idk about how much area you'll get to a house.
    I Love my boys
  6. wishin
    wishin
    my tip from living here all my life. DONT PICK NORFOLK or PORTSMOUTH! High crime, Poor Homes, Virginia Beach and Ches are wonderful! All of these cities are right on eachother and there really is no land or country type areas unless you want a long drive and go to pungo. a house under 300k is do-able. I would look for Virginia Beach area if I were you.
    Sometimes the smallest things take up the biggest space in your heart.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by sailornwife View Post
    my tip from living here all my life. DONT PICK NORFOLK or PORTSMOUTH! High crime, Poor Homes, Virginia Beach and Ches are wonderful! All of these cities are right on eachother and there really is no land or country type areas unless you want a long drive and go to pungo. a house under 300k is do-able. I would look for Virginia Beach area if I were you.
    I disagree. Ghent, in Norfolk, is a lovely area with beautiful colonial houses. There are various boutique shops plus a mall and the waterfront all within walking distance. The only downside is that 300k will probably only get you a nice apartment, unless you can find a foreclosure.

It's a long drive to Pungo?
  8. Senior Member
    well if we sell our property here then we can go up to 600k but we kinda wanted to keep it and rent it while we are gone and buy a second home there and rent it when we return to san diego. We don't want acreage or anything like that but we would like a nice size yard/lot. Perhaps a an area with a grocery store or town center with small shops and such that we can ride or bikes to and stuff. you know a small community with in a larger metropolis is also very doable.
    bye for now
    W~

[/url]
  9. Senior Member
    not sure if you still need this info or not. but i live in Virginia Beach, and i go to school out in norfolk. its about a 30 minute highway ride from the oceanfront of virginia beach to the base in norfolk. I would say if you dont mind the commute, which isnt terrible, id stay out of norfolk. theres not really a plethora of good places there. theres alot of low-income housing and alot of crime. i would suggest Greenbrier (chesapeake, which is still close to norfolk) or Virginia Beach. if you decide on VB, let me know, and i can help you out some more, i know my way around here pretty well
    we kicked deployment #2's butt!

10. Senior Member
    Need info PM me. Familiar with Norfolk and Virginia Beach

My Sweetheart

Quote Originally Posted by LoveKiss View Post
    Would you please not tempt the deployment gods?! They are vindictive and cruel.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast