Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: first move, going to VA

1. liz2062

first move, going to VA

Advertisements
    Hi, my husband just got orders from "A" school and we're going to norfolk. he is going to be on the USS San Antonio. i was wondering if any ones SO is on there. we are very new to the navy and this is our first move, i would like to live in housing, does anyone know what my chances of geting a two bedroom are? he should be done with school in like 3 weeks. we have a 5 year old daughter and she is going to start school this year. does anyone know when the schools start out there? any advise would be great. thanks, liz
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    i just did the move to virginia about a month ago. it was also our real first move. (and we were only given 3 weeks to do it!) anyway, the waiting list is about a year, so you won't be able to get in right away. the best advice i can give you is don't settle on the first availible apartment, that's what we did, and although we have lived in worse places, this place kinda sucks. (so don't go to diamond springs apartments in va beach, unless you'd like to have another newish navy wife right next door! ) my dh is about to finish up C school then will be on the Nassau. good luck to ya. let me know if ya need some more indepth help!

If you save one dog you won't change the world--but surely the world will change for that one dog.
    "Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog." -Franklin P. Jones
  3. Senior Member
    Hi Liz i got your email...He is on the San Antonio and ill be down in Va as of next saturday so if you need anything let me know...so you know that ship is going to be going in and out all summer so if you ever need a friend or something to do ill be there by myself lol.
    Ive been bitch slapped

4. Mrs_Snafu
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole1788
    Hi Liz i got your email...He is on the San Antonio and ill be down in Va as of next saturday so if you need anything let me know...so you know that ship is going to be going in and out all summer so if you ever need a friend or something to do ill be there by myself lol.
    Wow :inshock Nicole

I can't believe you will be here next week. :yeehaw
    If either one of you needs anything just let me know

Karen
  5. IYAOYAS
    IYAOYAS
    My DH just got transfered to the USS Truman. My housing was approved because of EFM program so we can move into our house in Yorktown as of Aug 21. Yeah!!! The area is further away from the base but I am from the area so the distance is no big deal. we are use to it. I am just waiting on my packout date. if it is just the two of you it is a great place for apartment choices. My DH is in the Middle East and when he gets home we are going to buy so housing for us is a temp thing. try www.apartmentguide.com After my move I will be their so feel free to contact me. Welcome.
  6. liz2062
    thanks you guys i feel better knowing that moving can be done in 3 weeks cricketswife, thats how much of a notice we have. if we can't get into housing i would like to stay close to the base in norfolk. i know i read alot about how bad it is there but i'm from the bay area and i don't know how bad it can be compaired to what we have here. so can anyone give me a list or some ideas of apartments or townhouses that are nice in norfolk that we should check out when we go.
  7. Senior Member
    There is immediate opening at Oceana housing. I believe it is Willoughby housing. School starts right after Labor Day. Good luck on your move.
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    yeh, it was just a little stressful to do it in 3 weeks. we were informed with about 3 weeks to do it, but as everyone knows, ya can't really get anything done until you have a copy of his orders. we couldn't get out of our lease there, we couldn't get our move money to reserve a truck and all that jazz...we ended up getting his orders maybe 4 days before we had to be on the road. and to top it all off the last week he was at that command, they made him stay on base until almost 9, then be back at 5:30 the next morn, so he was no help in packing and getting basic moving things done. it sucked. glad we don't have to make a major move for another 5 years.

If you save one dog you won't change the world--but surely the world will change for that one dog.
    "Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog." -Franklin P. Jones