Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: moving to VA

1. Senior Member

moving to VA

Advertisements
    DH just got word that he would be getting transfered between Jan-June for Virginia. I know NOTHING about the area. He is going to be commissioning the USS Bush, does anybody else have an SO going/on the Bush? Are all the carriers in the same area in VA or are there different locations for them? If they are together where is it? Is the military housing nice there; which areas are not the best to live in? Sorry, like I said I don't know much about the area. Any other advice or tips you have would be greatly appretiated. Thanks again.
  2. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

RIGHT NOW the Bush is in the Newport News shipyard not at the Norfolk base.

I don't know if you have kids or anything but there are waiting lists for housing for 3 and 4 bedrooms. The waiting lists for Norfolk isn't as bad as Yorktown but Yorktown is the closest housing to Newport News.

Traffic is bad here in all areas all times of day, so you wont want to live in VB or Norfolk if you're stationed in Newpoirt News because it would take him an hour or 2 to get to work with traffic a lot of the time.

The BAH here is split into 2 areas and Newport News BAH is lower than Norfolk which sucks. You wont want to live anywhere near the shipyard in Newport News because it is VERY bad over there. Even the commands don't advise you to live near there. Newport News had a lot of bad areas, as does Norfolk. The COL is a bit high and the BAH is low for it.
  3. IYAOYAS
    IYAOYAS
    I am from the area and moving to. I move in to my house at Yorktown base Aug 21st. Let me know what kind of info you need and I will be happy to provide it. My DH will be on the Truman.
  4. Senior Member
    Thanks, I am sure I will have lots of questions - neither of us have ever really been to Virginia before.
  5. Dragonfly64
    Do you know when the BUSH is coming out of the yards? If it won't be too long then I'd try for closer to Norfolk. We live in the Hickory area of Chesapeake and it took DH about an hour to get to the shipyards when the Enterprise was there. But now it's only 30 minutes tops to get to the ship when it is pierside in Norfolk. There are apartments near the Greenbrier area of Chesapeake that are close to Hwy 64 so they'd get you there quick. I'd stay out of Newport News close to the shipyard and I'd stay out of Portsmouth. Virginia Beach has tons of apartments, but you'll want to be near an expressway or it can take forever to commute. jmho.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Our friend just got orders to the Bush and she will be heading that way at the begining of the year as well. Shes from the area so she wanted to head back that way and get out of Fallon.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed

good luck on your move
  8. Sheri
    Hi. I just landed in Virginia a week and a half ago.
    I have school age children so living in Newport News, Norfolk, BV, Hampton, was not an option for us.
    We have a house in Poquoson, and LOVE it! On the water. Excellent schools!
    The traffic is bad. I am in the hunt for a job, and need to learn patience lol.
    I would ask for a GPS for Christmas - mine has saved me!
  9. Senior Member
    Thanks for all the info ladies! I heard the waiting list for the area was like 18 months. Would it be better to try to get into military housing or just move out into town?
  10. Psych Student by Day..
    Psych Student by Day..
    Good luck with the move!

Thank you for my siggy Stacey!
    He's home from Iraq!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast