Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pax River area?

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Pax River area?

Advertisements
    Anyone up there???

DH has been pencilled in for orders there next year and I'm a little apprehensive, but trying to stay optimistic.

I have heard the high school that serves the base is horrible. I think with that in mind we're going to try to rent or possibly buy further out from the base.

Any input?
  2. Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!
    Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!
    Quote Originally Posted by wb3690 View Post
    Anyone up there???

DH has been pencilled in for orders there next year and I'm a little apprehensive, but trying to stay optimistic.

I have heard the high school that serves the base is horrible. I think with that in mind we're going to try to rent or possibly buy further out from the base.

Any input?
    I actually grew up just north of pax.the HSs are not bad, the county north of pax (calvert) has great school scores... there's not much to do in the area .

Posted via Mobile Device
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by AG2Wife View Post
    I actually grew up just north of pax.the HSs are not bad, the county north of pax (calvert) has great school scores... there's not much to do in the area .

Posted via Mobile Device
    I'm worried about that!!

Calverty is on my list....along with another place I can't remember......I've just been reading quite about on SOMD.com about how bad Great Mills HS is. Most of the people on there are telling us to avoid base housing.

I don't know how well I am going to do moving from Hawaii to Pax, but it's the ONLY shore duty he's being offered......and we need shore duty.
  4. He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    I don't have any info for ya, but good luck getting shore duty! I know how badly we wanted it after our last tour..

Well, I'm what I am and I'm what I'm not
    and I'm sure happy with what Iíve got
    I live to love and laugh alot
    and thatís all I need

5. Married to a Naval Officer
    Married to a Naval Officer
    Anyone up there???

Any input?

That's what I heard, too. My friend moved into housing there and she hated the high school so much (she said academics were really bad) that they moved to Jacksonville, Florida just a year after they moved to Pax River and just waited there for 2 years until her husband retired. She said the area between Pax river and Annapolis is better.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by amdo_wife View Post
    That's what I heard, too. My friend moved into housing there and she hated the high school so much (she said academics were really bad) that they moved to Jacksonville, Florida just a year after they moved to Pax River and just waited there for 2 years until her husband retired. She said the area between Pax river and Annapolis is better.
    We tried to get Jax, but his detailer said they are so top heavy on shore duty that he COULD go to Jax if we took another squadron. It would be our 4th sea command in a row! No thanks!!! I'd rather take shore duty and we'll figure out where to move off base. I think Leonardtown was another place that was mentioned to me.

We'll probably head back down to Jax after that and he can retire down there.
  7. X
    X
    Eeeep, get ready to freeze your bums!

I know how badly you guys NEED shore duty, so I'm sure you guys will be fine!
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph* View Post

I will freeze!!

our friend who is stationed at Pax is visiting us right now and he's been filling me in the best he can. He doesn't know all the details I want like shopping, nail salons, hair places etc, but he's good regardless!

The only things out there with real orders available right now for him in his rate are ANOTHER squadron in Hawaii or an IA! EEEP! I think we've done our middle east time thanks!
  9. Married to a Naval Officer
    I will freeze!!

our friend who is stationed at Pax is visiting us right now and he's been filling me in the best he can. He doesn't know all the details I want like shopping, nail salons, hair places etc, but he's good regardless!

The only things out there with real orders available right now for him in his rate are ANOTHER squadron in Hawaii or an IA! EEEP! I think we've done our middle east time thanks!
    Definitely take any shore duty you can take. Maybe you could request an inter-district enrollment or something. Or consider homeschool, too. I hated my daughter's school so much, I decided to homeschool her. Then since my son was going into 9th grade and we're moving pretty soon, my husband and I decided to just homeschool/independent study (because I don't teach him, he studies on his own) since we're moving. He goes to "study groups" but is actually a class with a different teacher for each subject once a week. We're just homeschooling until we move.

My friend looked for a private school but she said the closest good private school was an hour away.

My son wants to go to the academy and if he gets accepted, my husband wants to go to Pax River. If that happens, my daughter will be in high school, too, and I'm already worried about that. If I really couldn't find a good school, I have no choice but to homeschool again.
  10. Married to a Naval Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph* View Post

That is so true. My friend has spent at least 6 months outside Maryland during that one year they were there.

I think the weather will be a shocker for you especially coming from Hawaii.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast