Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norfolk ladies--quesitons about the base

1. Senior Member

Norfolk ladies--quesitons about the base

Advertisements
    Does the exchange have decent clothing for women? Do they have kids clothing, too? (mine doesn't)

If we're staying at the lodge, can we walk to the exchange? We only have one car and my hubby will be doing paperwork, etc on base. Who should have the car??

Are any of the ships doing tours? Trying to keep the kids (4) busy while hubby is doing some work.

Any decent non-chain restaurants to recommend?? Any flavor will do, as long as it's good.

Thanks!!
  2. Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!
    Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8ergirl View Post
    Does the exchange have decent clothing for women? Do they have kids clothing, too? (mine doesn't)

If we're staying at the lodge, can we walk to the exchange? We only have one car and my hubby will be doing paperwork, etc on base. Who should have the car??

Are any of the ships doing tours? Trying to keep the kids (4) busy while hubby is doing some work.

Any decent non-chain restaurants to recommend?? Any flavor will do, as long as it's good.

Thanks!!
    They do have womens & childrens clothing, the selection isn't too bad. It's a little bit cheaper than what you'd see in the department store.
    It would be a long walk to the exchange down a busy road so I suggest taking a car.
    Theres a place on the same road the navy lodge is on (hampton blvd?) - you make a left out of lodging if i remember correctly- anyway, the outside of the building says it does tours. Not sure what type.
    Theres a ton of stuff to do- just not within walking distance... the zoo, battleship wisconsin, va beach aquarium, theres a free petting zoo in hampton... busch gardens is further up in williamsburg & theres a small water park in va beach..

Hope you enjoy your stay there
    Last edited by AG2Wife; 08-11-2008 at 01:28 PM. Reason: change the street

3. Senior Member
    I'd suggest taking the car too, drop your hubby off to do paperwork, etc.
    Go see the USS Wisconsin downtown and Nauticus. (it's either really inexpensive few dollars or free?) you can either grab lunch at waterside (which is an mall/eatery area) in downtown Norfolk next to the Sheraton (the view from Joe's Crab Shack is beautiful) or if you want different kinds of food anywhere on Granby Street will do (SOOO many eateries there) and FreeMason Abbey (restaurant) only open evenings (nicer) has to DIE for bread pudding. DELICIOUS! Depending on how much time you have there are the botanical gardens (you'd probably like that) the kids would probably be bored. , lol there is always the beach (about 25 mns from NOB to the ocean front) and there is always Gator Pool (small pool on base, I've never been there personally, but ultra cheap too, like $5 or 8 dollars each?) and there's the Zoo. The Zoo is nice, not the coolest of all zoo's, but not bad.

Have Fun!

My Sweetheart

Quote Originally Posted by LoveKiss View Post
    Would you please not tempt the deployment gods?! They are vindictive and cruel.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    The Navy Lodge is a ways away from the exchange. If you can I would take him to do his paperwork and then you can have it run around.

As for things to do. I don't know how old your kids are but every mall has a play area for the younger kids that is free. They are good for maybe ages 4 and below. There are a few awesom bounce houses in the area as well. They cost anywhere from $6 or $7 for a few hours of fun but it does a great job wearing out the kids. The USS Wisconsin is downtown and fun to tour around. There is always lots of park too.
    ~~Crystal
    Wife to Chris
    SAHM to Riley Ann

Hubby retired from the Navy June 2011 and what a change of life!
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CMPCAP View Post
    The Navy Lodge is a ways away from the exchange. If you can I would take him to do his paperwork and then you can have it run around.

As for things to do. I don't know how old your kids are but every mall has a play area for the younger kids that is free. They are good for maybe ages 4 and below. There are a few awesom bounce houses in the area as well. They cost anywhere from $6 or $7 for a few hours of fun but it does a great job wearing out the kids. The USS Wisconsin is downtown and fun to tour around. There is always lots of park too.
    OH! good point. "Hot Dog Land" which is a really COOL little kid play area is in MacArthur mall right next to the food court. If they are little, they would to play in there. There are big "toys" one is a hotdog, one is a spilled drink, a watermelon, slice, etc. and you take your shoes off, it's ultra ultra padded, nice, and clean (free to go there too) and if you go to the USS Wisconsin, you could go there, than Nauticus, than over to MacArthur Center (3 story mall) about 3 blocks away and eat lunch/play there. MacArthur Mall is also right by the freeway. You'd take 264 heading back to the beach, and than catch the 64 split to Richmond, and off 64, catch 564 which will take you right up to base (NOB)

My Sweetheart

Quote Originally Posted by LoveKiss View Post
    Would you please not tempt the deployment gods?! They are vindictive and cruel.
  6. Senior Member
    Is it pretty easy to not get lost around the base and just off??? I have this thing about getting turned around on a base where all the buildings look alike. How's traffic getting on and off base? Thanks!
  7. Senior Member
    Oh, Joe's Crab Shack...Have you eaten there? Is it good?
  8. Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!
    Is it pretty easy to not get lost around the base and just off??? I have this thing about getting turned around on a base where all the buildings look alike. How's traffic getting on and off base? Thanks!
    the base takes a while to get used to. .the ship yard is on one end & the air field is on the other. There are many gates so its easy to get off & on.
    If you have to find a specific building, it can get complicated... some look alike, some aren't even marked.

Traffic on & off base varies on the time of day & the gate. Gate 2 is busy, and it can close at certain times of the day (hampon blvd gate). Hubby went into gate 3 & 3a - it wasn't horribly busy when he went in..

9. Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!
    Joes IMO isn't as great as Red Lobster, it's cheaper though.

10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Joes Crab Shack is a chain restaurant. I don't like the one in Waterside, but the one at Greenbrier is pretty good.

If your preference is non-chain restaurants, I recommend you drive down Colley Avenue and/or 21st street. I can recommend a few out-of-the-way places; one of our favorites is a Greek place called Orapax, near Sentara Norfolk General. Freemason Abbey (downtown) is very good, but a bit pricey and not necessarily good with little kids.

There's a section of town called Ward's Corner, not too far from the base, and they have a wonderful little pancake restaurant where they serve amazing Belgian waffles. There's a Japanese place there called Sai Gai; they're decent and they'll put on a good show.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast