Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's official!!!Orders to Va.!!!!!

1. Senior Member

Smile It's official!!!Orders to Va.!!!!!

Advertisements
    Ok ladies, We officially have order to Va. My dh will be working in Va. Beach so we are looking at houses there. With gas prices the way they are I don't need a 45 min drive to work everyday.

I want it all. The good the bad, the ugly. Our ombudsmen is checking to see if overseas gets priority with housing. I know the wait list is 12-24 mos long. We need a 4 bdrm. Ive been looking at rentals and at buying a home but i don't know. We don't have as much in savings as I'd like to buy a home.

I'm working at the elem. school for the last 3 years so I'd like a job doing that. What are the requirements in VA to work as a Sub, teacher's asst/aide, or a special education aide?

What is there to do as a family? I was told Williamsburg was not far away and was fun. We have kids from ages 2-13. How does registering vehicles work?taxes?

Any help/advice is appreciated. I'm overseas now so my day is coming to an end so if I dont respond quickly it's cause im in bed.

TIA
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    as far as registering vehicles make sure they are in HIS name so you don't pay ridiculous personal property taxes. get them registered as soon as possible (towing sucks here) and make sure you get a state inspection too. it's the law FUNfortunately. housing is very expensive in va beach from what i noticed, and i would go on the internet and start browsing www.craigslist.org

as far as family fun, there is a zoo, two amusement parks (busch gardens is in williamsburg) and water country usa (pretty cool water park), botanical gardens, THE BEACH!!! and just about everything under the sun including air shows at oceana naval base.

other than the bs fines for speeding and the like, it's a pretty cool place to live. and pretty family-friendly. also the museums are great. childen's museum...nauticus...

you get my drift. pm me if you need any more advice.
  3. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

Man, I want to be out there with all the ladies. I'm comming for a visit about 23rd Nov for 3 weeks.

4. Dreams come true... I am living mine
    Dreams come true... I am living mine
    Quote Originally Posted by WIKSWIFE View Post
    Ok ladies, We officially have order to Va. My dh will be working in Va. Beach so we are looking at houses there. With gas prices the way they are I don't need a 45 min drive to work everyday.

I want it all. The good the bad, the ugly. Our ombudsmen is checking to see if overseas gets priority with housing. I know the wait list is 12-24 mos long. We need a 4 bdrm. Ive been looking at rentals and at buying a home but i don't know. We don't have as much in savings as I'd like to buy a home.

I'm working at the elem. school for the last 3 years so I'd like a job doing that. What are the requirements in VA to work as a Sub, teacher's asst/aide, or a special education aide?

What is there to do as a family? I was told Williamsburg was not far away and was fun. We have kids from ages 2-13. How does registering vehicles work?taxes?

Any help/advice is appreciated. I'm overseas now so my day is coming to an end so if I dont respond quickly it's cause im in bed.

TIA
    There are a lot of elementary schools in that area so you should be good to go on getting a job if that is what you are wanting, but I am not sure what their need level is. I also don't know about the education levels sorry

There is Bush Gardens, Kings Dominion, Water Country, Willimasburg, Jamestown, Ocean Breeze Fun Park and lots of other fun things to do!

You have to register your car at the DMV, you should be exempt from some car taxes if not all of them because you are military from out of state you will need an LES for that.

Hope everything goes smoothly for you!
    DREAMS CAN COME TRUE
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by WIKSWIFE View Post

TIA

If you have any questions about schools here, just PM me. I'm a teacher in VB. I can send you links that will help you get the info you need to get a job here.

Williamsburg isn't far away at all, but the traffic going through the tunnel to and from there S-U-C-K-S!!!!! There is a lot to do here. The Zoo, Botanical gardens, Marine Science Museum, the beach, Williamsburg, Busch Gardens, etc. We're still checking it all out!
  6. Senior Member
    Wow there sounds like alot of family fun things to do. Thanks for the heads up about registering cars.

Michelle, I;ll pm you about the schools.

Keep it coming ladies
  7. FLORIDIAN
    FLORIDIAN
    Boo.
    Although I am probably following you next summer....

Have you ever thought about what protects our hearts? / Just a cage of rib bones and other various parts /
    So it's fairly simple to cut right through the mess / And stop the muscle that makes us confess / And we are so fragile /
    And our cracking bones make noise / And we are just breakable, breakable, breakable girls and boys.

8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    I'm a teacher in Va Beach, and there are at least a couple more on this forum.

for info about Guest Teaching, go here: http://www.vbschools.com/hr/employme...rientation.asp

There will be a required background check, and you must attend an orientation before you can be placed on the sub list.

Up until about 5 years ago, it was cheaper to buy here than rent. Then the housing prices got a little crzay, and now they're starting to level off. There are LOTS of bases here, so when you talk about living fairly close to the base, it's important to specify which one. When you PM with people (feel free to pm me if you wish), you should specify whether you're going to Oceana, Little Creek, Dam Neck, the various Coast Guard places, NOB, or wherever.

Where are you coming from? Depending on your point of reference, this could be a cheaper place to live, or this could be more.

Anyhow, there are lots of us here, and I'm sure you'll get lots of help. Welcome to VB!
    Last edited by eelo; 07-11-2008 at 06:12 PM. Reason: tupo
  9. Dreams come true... I am living mine
    Dreams come true... I am living mine
    ooooo and the best thing is there is a bunch of SOS girls here that kick but!!!!

The museums are great! They also have the children's museum in Portsmouth that your kids would LOVE!!!
    DREAMS CAN COME TRUE
  10. Porcelain..are you wasting away in your skin?
    Porcelain..are you wasting away in your skin?
    I am in Norfolk, close to NOB. If you need anything, let me know !
    Sad, sad, sad. Pathetic, actually.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast