Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Living in Maryland...

1. Alysia

Question Living in Maryland...

Advertisements
    I have a few questions about moving to Maryland. Does anyone here live on base at Fort Meade? Would you recommend it? Why or why not?

If you don't live on base, where would you recommend living?

DH and I are trying to decide what to do after we get done here in Monterey, CA. I've heard horror stories about housing on Fort Meade and am incredibly concerned that I'm going to live in another dump. I refuse to do that.
  2. Banned
    Banned
    I don't live in MD right now, but I lived in MD for several years. I would suggest living in Silver Spring or Laurels it's ok. Laurel is closer to Ft Meade than Silver Spring, but Silver Spring to me is a nicer area. If you need a realtor let me know. I lived there along time and I know a realtor that could help you.
  3. Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!
    Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!
    Quote Originally Posted by bunnydette View Post
    I don't live in MD right now, but I lived in MD for several years. I would suggest living in Silver Spring or Laurels it's ok. Laurel is closer to Ft Meade than Silver Spring, but Silver Spring to me is a nicer area. If you need a realtor let me know. I lived there along time and I know a realtor that could help you.
    be careful with Laurel - there are some really nasty parts!
    Silver Spring is nice though

4. ahf
    I survived deployment #5!!
    I survived deployment #5!!
    I live in Columbia, MD, which is about 15-20 min from Ft Meade. I only go to Ft Meade for dr's appt and groc shopping. Columbia is in Howard County and it's a really nice place to live. We started out in Takoma Park and Silver Spring, which is right next to DC border, but keep moving further and further away from DC. The house prices around DC are insane , and you get more for the money out here. Not sure if you have kids or not, but the schools in Howard County are really good.
    Good luck!
    Jag längtar hem.....
  5. I talk alot, it just never comes out of my mouth
    I talk alot, it just never comes out of my mouth
    I live in Odenton, MD which is about 10-12 mins away from Ft. Meade. I would NOT live in the base housing... the housing itself mught be ok, but the area that is directly surrounding it is NOT GOOD!!! Although that school district is Anne Arundel County, the Ft Meade school system is one of the worst.

Crofton, Odenton, Millersville, Severna Park, some parts of Laurel,and Arnold are all very nice areas to live in, with great schools!!! Housing costs are high but probably comparable to CA's. All the above area's are with in a 30 min drive to Meade. Silverspring is a nice area as well, Montgomery county all together is nice but your hubby would be looking at a HORRIBLE i repeat HORRIBLE drivie every day! Its about an hour drive as it is, then factor in massive traffic.

Hope this helps! Give us MD girls a shout when you get into town, we have GTG's every month
  6. Beltway Bandit
    Beltway Bandit
    Blog Entries
    Hi! I'm in Crofton (Anne Arundel County) in a townhouse and I like it a lot. You got a lot of BAH here so you're able to handle the high cost of housing. I haven't been in base housing so I can't comment on that. I like Crofton because it's only about 12 miles from Annapolis, my favorite city in Maryland!
  7. Banned
    Banned
    I live in Annapolis I think it's about 30 mins from Ft.Meade. We got there for the commisarry and PX that's it. It looks pretty but we are Navy so I can't tell you how the base is and housing. Annapolis is very pretty but pricey.
  8. Senior Member
    I live on Fort Meade and it is FANTASTIC!!!!
    All the old housing has for the most part been knocked down or refurbished.
    I just got moved out of the old housing and into the new houses. It is GREAT!!!!
    If you have any problems maintenance is quick to fix it. I love it here, people are nice and tons of tourist things to do.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    A friend lives in officer housing on base and is quite satisfied with it. Off base, in addition to the areas suggested, you may want to look at Catonsville. It's 20-25 minutes north of base, has a good mix of older homes (my preference) and new construction, good schools, and a real community feel. Catonsville has a big 4th of July parade every year, a community 5K race, a cute main street section, and a branch of the county community college that offers tons of stuff for kids and adults.
  10. Senior Member
    The great thing about Ft. Meade is you have so many possibilities of where to live..
    Maybe too many choices...lol
    I personally like the base itself, but have never seen their base housing, but heard really good things about the newer ones.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast