Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Washington DC living

1. Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta

Help Washington DC living

Advertisements
    Can anyone tell me good areas in DC to look for housing?? neighborhood names and/or zip codes would be great!!! we like city living if we get an apartment. but if we buy a house right away, probably more suburban. we haven't decided which way to go yet. please help!! i don't know anything about living in DC! (if we go, that is.... i'm a planner, i can't help it!)
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Just to let you know rent is insanely $$$$$$$$$$$$. My friend lives by IWO Jima and her rent is 1200 a month for a studio.

I went to college in arlington.

Good luck on your search!
    Are you scrappy enough for me
  3. Loving Life in Paradise!
    Loving Life in Paradise!
    Blog Entries
    I love Adams Morgan, but I'm not sure how close the metro is. It's a great spot for younger people.

I love Georgetown too, but that's really expensive and without a metro stop.

I haven't lived there in years, so I don't know what's changed. If you want, I'll ask my friends who still live in the city.
  4. Im crazy, the good kind
    Im crazy, the good kind
    I LOVE ADAMS MORGAN!!! it is fun times...

I might be moving out that way next year...im kinda leaning on YES so we can be friends!!
  5. Senior Member
    Are you wanting to live in DC or are you willing to spread out to VA & MD some? It has already been mentioned but just prepared for outrageously high rent prices! Arlington, VA & Bethesda, MD are good locations that are not in DC but still give you the city feel. Plus multiple metro stops are available in both locations. I never really talked with anyone who lived in DC and got their in puts on where the lived. Adams Morgan is a younger part of town though. Because of possible commutes to work I would suggest staying inside the beltway (495). However you are more likely to find lower prices apartments outside the beltway. If you are looking to buy a house in VA if you go out in Fairfax county things are always growing. Only issue the further you get out in Fairfax County you don't have metro access even though it is proposed to run the metro out to Dulles Airport. Your best bet if you are leaning more towards apartments is probably to get an apartment guide and get an idea of prices of places you like the look of then ask for input
  6. Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    thank you for all of the advice so far. we have alot of research to do!!
  7. DvlDogGal104
    I've lived in Howard County MD for YEARS (it's right between Baltimore and DC, about 30-40 minutes from DC) and I do my best to AVOID DC (I just hate the beltway and the traffic and the metro. I'm a control person and I feel like I have none when I'm in DC). I agree, that going out into suburbs like Bethesda, possibly Silver Spring (but that can get expensive), and VA are your best bet. Unless you don't mind the commute and would be willing to try cheaper places in MD, like Laurel, Savage, etc (I believe they're Anne Arundel County, but it is a lot cheaper than other places). I'm not familar enough with VA to know what cost of living is like down there. But Howard County is the richest/most expensive county in Maryland and in the top 10 of the nation---and I wonder why I'm still living at home...lol. Hope this helps.
  8. Senior Member
    Waldorf, MD (20602, 20603 and I forgot the other one) There is a metro stop at Suitland Rd which is about 15mins from me and takes you right to the White House Its quite, low crime, but still has everything you need (bars, malls, restaurants, Andrews Air Force Base) The cost of living is lower here. We have a friend that commutes to DC and she says it isnt bad at all. There are also 2 park and rides that go in to DC. We bought our house for $315,000 but the prices have gone down on homes since. We get DC BAH which for E6 is $2035 which doesnt cover all of our mortgage but close enough. We're in Charles County. I HIGLY recommend staying OUT of Prince George County (PG is what they call it) its higher crime.
  9. MrsKola
    My bestie from home went to school there and she is by far the cheapest person I know so Ill give her a call and ask her and see what she can come up with... Ill post again later..
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    We are in DC, but live in Navy Housing at Anacostia/Bolling AFB. Not sure what your experiences/preferences are with housing, but this community isn't too bad! It's not in a great part of town, but we are behind the gates so I don't feel "unsafe" at all.
    JulieM
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast