Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Norfolk/VABeach/Chesapeake areas

1. Senior Member

Norfolk/VABeach/Chesapeake areas

Advertisements
    I think I posted a while back, but now that we're closer to the move (3 months out now) I'm narrowing down some areas but still entertaining others. So tell me what you think! TIA!!!

We'll probably end up in Chesapeake or VA Beach area. (DH is going to Little Creek Amphib Base) We plan on renting to date. After looking online we both believe we can get a bigger, newer, better home by renting than buying or living in housing right now.

But it was recently suggested to me to check out York Co. and the Pennisula areas... Could someone define those areas for me, give me a little bit more to go on?

Also what about across the state line in NC? If I'm searching - specifically what towns would I be looking for/in?

My problem is I love to be further out and so does DH. But neither of us like the driving b/c whenever we live out people don't ever want to come to us we always have to go to them (or all the activities and stuff are never near us lol) His ship will for the most part be out to sea so it's not like he's on shore duty and the commute will be consitantly daily for him. I won't be overly active with anything Navy related. Those days are done for me so it's not like I'm worried about being close enough for FRG activities, meetings, etc... We have 3 teenagers. I homeschool; so the goals in VA are to get them out and off to their adulthood. I really have other things to focus on while we are there instead of FRG drama - kwim??
  2. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    I live in the Greenbrier area of Chesapeake. I could not have picked a better area without knowing what Hampton Roads was like. I personally wouldn't live anywhere where you needed to commute through the HRBT or the MMBT. Those are the ONLY 2 ways to get into the area from the other side of the water.

We're renting our 4 bedroom 2.5 bath for only 1350. It's a STEAL for the area and neighborhood we're in.

Try checking ahrn.com! That's where we found our rental! Our landlord is retired Navy.

Virginia Beach is good too!
  3. Cookie Queen
    Cookie Queen
    If he's going to be at Little Creek, DEFINITELY don't look for a place in NC. It takes 30 minutes to get from Oceana to Little Creek when there's zero traffic, add another 20ish minutes and you're looking at a heller commute. I also don't recommend the penisula.

Also www.militarybyowner.com has a lot of rental properties.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    i too live in the Greenbrier of Chesapeake area, and i really like it
  5. IYAOYAS
    IYAOYAS
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea20 View Post
    I think I posted a while back, but now that we're closer to the move (3 months out now) I'm narrowing down some areas but still entertaining others. So tell me what you think! TIA!!!

We'll probably end up in Chesapeake or VA Beach area. (DH is going to Little Creek Amphib Base) We plan on renting to date. After looking online we both believe we can get a bigger, newer, better home by renting than buying or living in housing right now.

But it was recently suggested to me to check out York Co. and the Pennisula areas... Could someone define those areas for me, give me a little bit more to go on?

Also what about across the state line in NC? If I'm searching - specifically what towns would I be looking for/in?

My problem is I love to be further out and so does DH. But neither of us like the driving b/c whenever we live out people don't ever want to come to us we always have to go to them (or all the activities and stuff are never near us lol) His ship will for the most part be out to sea so it's not like he's on shore duty and the commute will be consitantly daily for him. I won't be overly active with anything Navy related. Those days are done for me so it's not like I'm worried about being close enough for FRG activities, meetings, etc... We have 3 teenagers. I homeschool; so the goals in VA are to get them out and off to their adulthood. I really have other things to focus on while we are there instead of FRG drama - kwim??
    I am from Chesapeake but now I live in Newport News at Yorktown Weapons Station. My kids go to a great school in York County. My DH is at Norfolk. The commute is not that bad. IMO you will have traffic no matter where you live. My parents moveed across the state line to NC a few years ago. It is cheaper and from what I see the schools are nice. It's not very built up but give it time, it will be. I would not live in Norfolk. I have older kids so I am more concerned with schools. I just don't like that area. Feel free to PM me if you would like to know more. Good luck and welcome to the area.
  6. Lifes hard... get a helmet.
    Lifes hard... get a helmet.
    I actually grew up right across the state line in NC and love it there.. Depending on traffic and how far across the state line you move it would take about 45 minutes to get to little creek from Moyock ( the first town right across the state line) I love it there, the schools are wonderful, its very low key and relaxing, not a lot of traffic ( except during tourist season on the main highway) and homes are pretty inexpensive. I guess you could say I'm somewhat partial. PM me if you have any questions about it Now I live in Va Beach and I'm about 10 minutes from little creek.. so it all just depends on what you want to be near ( shopping etc)
    Please Remember to follow OPSEC!!!

Life is hard.... Wear a helmet
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    Try checking ahrn.com! That's where we found our rental! Our landlord is retired Navy.

Virginia Beach is good too!
    Yep we've been looking at that one as well as rentals.com and militarybyowner.com (some of the same houses are listed on the sites)
  8. ArmyGF_757
    the commute from NC to the base is not that bad. Elizabeth City, NC is a consideration too. However, I would settle on the Greenbriar area as my first resort. I actually commute from Virginia to Elizabeth City and I enjoy it. No traffic!!
  9. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea20 View Post
    Yep we've been looking at that one as well as rentals.com and militarybyowner.com (some of the same houses are listed on the sites)

Yay! I looked at both too, when searching!

I shop at the Little Creek commy. It takes me about 15 mins to get there. I'll remember to time it for ya the next time I make a trip out there....hehe!!!