Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fort Drum Info?

1. Knyghtsangel

Fort Drum Info?

Advertisements
    DH's unit is transferring to Drum...when they return home from deployment. I was hoping any of you currently stationed there or anyone with info period could help me out. I'm especially interested in the schools and housing info. Thanks
  2. Senior Member
    I don't reall have any info about it other than it is a gigantic base! There is a wave pool! I stay there when I drive up to my parents house in Toronto!
    Needs work.
  3. Senior Member

Smile Fort Drum

Finally there are starting to be more ladies coming to Ft Drum! I won't feel so alone!!!

Fort Drum is a great base...some of the people are pretty "hickish"...lots of dairy farms and what not but overall everyone is very nice and the area is really growing!!! Fast!...there are three major school districts for the children of Fort Drum

Indian River Central (http://www.ircsd.org/)
    Carthage Central (http://www.carthagecsd.org/)
    Watertown Central (http://www.watertowncsd.org/)

all three are great schools.

Also visit (http://www.newzjunky.com/) it is a great website for the immediate locations around fort drum it shows job postings, apartments, school info, housing, etc!

let me know if you have any other questions I'd love to help.
  4. Senior Member

Fort Drum

Last edited by Dskate4; 01-05-2010 at 09:20 PM.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

We are going to have SO much damn fun
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I am from Plattsburgh area its so nice to know that people know where it is LMAO
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    There is also a BOCES in Watertown as well. You will really like it here I do believe. The people are so nice, and there is so much to do. Plus, Ft.Drum is HUGE.
  8. Iarya
    We have been here at Drum for 4 years. We love it. of course there are the little idiosyncracies that each base has. But this base is beautiful. The local people are very supportive of the military as is New York. Should you desire to go to college then this is the place. They do not do that out of state hourly cost as do most colleges. Also the Governer has opened up the New York State Pell Grants for spouses.

The only down side to here at the moment is our PX and Commissary are small but they are enlarging and should be open in March. There is not a lot of housing available and some of the housing is quite reasonable then there is some that is not so much.

Another thing that could be better is, there is no hospital, you have to go to the local area hospitals and I am not overly inpressed. I have been a nurse for 30 years, now medically retired. So I usually know what my family needs before they go so I can make sure they are getting appropriate treatment.

The local hospital almost cost my son in law his career tho with a handy but wrong and career ending diagnosis. But before even coming to that wrong diagnosis, they wanted to put it down to drugs which my son in law mave a drink a couple of times a year but has NEVER had any illegal drugs and will barely take the ones they prescribe for him. Fortunately I was able to convince them otherwise and the Army finally listened and sent him to Reed.
    He actually did have what was originally diagnosed but it was the temporary kind due to changes in the sea levels etc. It was not due to his own body which not only is career ending but terminal.
  9. Living in paradise :D
    Living in paradise :D
    My parents live there now. I used to go quite often when I lived in Maine. Hoping to get back there sometime soon. Just be prepared for freezing temps and lots of snow.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

That is bad news about the hospitals. I had no idea. I think I might cry now.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast