Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pointless? Sorry to be a pain. More HR housing questions.

1. Aisysmom

Suspicious Pointless? Sorry to be a pain. More HR housing questions.

Advertisements
    Sorry for being such a pain in the butt with questions, but I really don't have a lot of people to ask questions.

My husband decided to take house hunting leave to find us a place. We want to move on base housing, but we don't want to love in Norfolk if we can help it.

To me, taking HH leave is kind of pointless. If we KNOW we want to live on base, then I don't see why we would need to house hunt.

My plan of action was to get a room at the Navy Lodge, and then immediatly go to housing and see what they have. If htye have ANYTHING other than Norfolk, we'll take it (how's chesapeake housing anyone know? School districts and such?) if not, then we are obviously going to need to find someplace to live for a short period of time. I mean, we can't be the ONLY people in this situation right?

We just got into a huge argument, because I say pointless, DH says that he can at least go check it out. If they won't even TELL us until he detatches from here (not until the 19th of November) I don't see the point.

Am I making sense? I just think this is a decision we can't make THIS early. Hell we might get to VA and decided that Norfolk isn't that bad, or whatever and stay there.

I'm just really confused. His plan was to leave tonight, make a 17 hour drive straight through, and I can't help but thinking... for what?!?
  2. Senior Member
    Chesapeake is Okay. Stay away from Newport News and we live in Virginia Beach. (If you have kids, beware of Green Run High. Locals call it "Gang Run High". PM me if you need more info. Thanks.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    we tried to get into Cheaspeke housing cause its really nice but there are only 38 of them, its not a big area so the list is long. if you want in right away and not going into Norfolk, they will probably offer you Wadsworth Shores housing, if you want you can come look at my house when you come down for house hunting, we live in Wadsworth Shores near Oceana. the house is really pretty nice but its older and the pictures are kinda bad on internet. as long as your not coming in on Nov 5th or 6th. i will gladly show you my house. pm me if you just want some pictures.
  4. Loving Life in Paradise!
    Loving Life in Paradise!
    Blog Entries
    Oh man, I'm jealous. I'm flying up there this weekend to house hunt, and even though he asked way in advance, dh's command wouldn't let him take house hunting leave.

I don't think it's pointless, but I'm biased since I want so badly for him to go with me!
  5. Dreams come true... I am living mine
    Dreams come true... I am living mine
    There is a two year waiting list for most of the houses in hampton roads (ches, vb or norfolk) so you might want to take the leave just so you can see what your other options are.

Each housing area is going to have differnt problems. It all depends on what you are looking for exactly.
    DREAMS CAN COME TRUE
  6. Lifes hard... get a helmet.
    Lifes hard... get a helmet.
    Well we don't live in housing but from what I undestand, the wait list is crazy... So it'd probably be good to go ahead and look into your other options, especially if he can take some leave so you guys can look around.. oh and USNIwife is right,Va beach is nice but stay away from Gang Run.. the homes are inexpensive, but the Green Run area of Va beach is horrible...
    Last edited by dotb182; 10-22-2007 at 09:39 PM.
    Please Remember to follow OPSEC!!!

Life is hard.... Wear a helmet
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    the nicer housing in norfolk.Ben Morrell has at least a 6 month wait list, but the yards are pretty tiny, and again its in norfolk. if you want Midway Manor in VA beach which is really nice, but i think in a crappy high school i think its in green run high school. your going to wait a long time because the house is so nice. we were only on the list a month before we accepted a house but we weren't too picky orginally we wanted castle acres because we get a 3 bedroom and they have a nice little layout, but after looking at the schools closer i didnt' want to be in Norfolk and we have all intentions of buying down here eventually its a perm. thing for us. its a temporary solution until we can afford a house of our own in this area though, we love it down here so close to the beach yet away from the traffic. and LOVE the schools my boys to go. i have heard Kempsville is really nice though i have yet to go over there.
  8. IYAOYAS
    IYAOYAS
    Quote Originally Posted by love4mysailor View Post
    There is a two year waiting list for most of the houses in hampton roads (ches, vb or norfolk) so you might want to take the leave just so you can see what your other options are.

Each housing area is going to have differnt problems. It all depends on what you are looking for exactly.

I am in housing at Yorktown Weapons Station. My DH is stationed in Norfolk. The list is long so you may want to check out the options. I am from the area and would not live in Norfolk or Portsmouth.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    they just made a new housing area too, whitehurst farms or something like that, its in norfolk some place i heard the houses are really awesome. but as for the wait it all depends on what you need as well. 2 bedroom list is longer than the 3 bedroom list. when we went into housing they could have offered us a three bedroom that day if we weren't picky. but they don't let you walk through them first and here we only got one choice in Bremerton we got two and in great lakes 4.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dotb182 View Post
    Well we don't live in housing but from what I undestand, the wait list is crazy... So it'd probably be good to go ahead and look into your other options, especially if he can take some leave so you guys can look around.. oh and USNIwife is right, stay away from Gang Run.. the homes are inexpensive, but if you look into vabeach at all its the worst area..
    I wouldn't say VA Beach is the worst all (depends on if they have kids/for school issues) VA Beach is more expensive, way more than Norfolk - it's the "Beach". Personally, I think unless your a die hard beach person. To live inland. It's less expensive (you get more bang for your buck so to speak) and your only 20-25 mns from the beach. But, I learned all that after living here years. I've heard to stay away from NN and Chesapeake/Suffolk are okay, but a 30 mn drive from NOB.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast