Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Saratoga Springs, NY

1. PACK YOUR BAGS!!!
    PACK YOUR BAGS!!!

Saratoga Springs, NY

Advertisements
    Anyone there now that can give me some info? It looks like Steve and I will be moving up there in Jan and I don't have a clue about the place.
    You are worth taking on the world...

No More Ticker...HE IS HOME
  2. Proud Submariner's Wife
    Proud Submariner's Wife
    I used to live there. We really like it...my hubby LOVES the horse track. They don't have much for base housing...the housing isn't on the base, but there is a small area of it. There is a mall in Wilton, like 3 miles up the road and the downtown is great. What else? I'm not sure about the schools because my little one is only 3 now.
  3. Regular Member
    Hey USNWIFE, I don't know about any base in the area, but I can try to help you out as much as possible. I live about 30 minutes south of Saratoga, around Albany. I do know people that live up in that area, along with a little bit before Saratoga. If you have any questions, just let me know, I'll help any way that I can. Also, if I don't know the answer to a question you may have, I'll do what I can to find out the answer for you. KDMatthews is right about the track, it's open during the summer, tons of people love it. Downtown is also pretty nice. Just send me a message if you'd like to talk.

-Briana

4. Senior Member
    We're headed to Saratoga in 3 weeks. Still not sure how I'm feeling about it yet. I am excited because we are from Maine so we will be closer to home, but it is kind of bittersweet leaving SC. I love downtown Charleston, I'll miss it a lot.

Anyways, I'd appreciate any info anyone has as well.
  5. PACK YOUR BAGS!!!
    PACK YOUR BAGS!!!
    Your hubby doing prototype in NY too?? Steve is and we should be leaving here in Jan. I LOVE SC and I do not want to leave it ever, but I'll manage.

6. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thejibstah View Post
    We're headed to Saratoga in 3 weeks. Still not sure how I'm feeling about it yet. I am excited because we are from Maine so we will be closer to home, but it is kind of bittersweet leaving SC. I love downtown Charleston, I'll miss it a lot.

Anyways, I'd appreciate any info anyone has as well.
    Same thing I said before to USNWIFE, I'm fairly close to Saratoga, so if there's anything you want to know, I'll try to help you out with it all. Feel free to send me a message if you'd like with any questions or anything like that.

As for Charleston, I was there in May until the middle of June, so I definitely understand that! It really is nice there. Downtown Saratoga isn't bad though.

Do you know how long you'll be here for?

7. PACK YOUR BAGS!!!
    PACK YOUR BAGS!!!
    we will only be there for 6 months

8. Senior Member
    I'm currently living in Cohoes which is right outside of Albany. The base is really spread out I'll tell you that.

The "base" in Saratoga (which is really in Milton even though they'll tell you it's in Ballston Spa...confused yet?haha) consists of housing and all your personnel needs like Pass and ID, Navy Fed, etc. To go to the commisary you have to go to Scotia which is like 15 miles away? I've only been there once because there's not much there. The commisary in Goose Creek is like 4 times bigger than the one here.

We were told that there was no medical on base for dependants so we ended up choosing a doctor out here in Cohoes. It's a really small base but the housing I think was renovated or rebuilt...it looked nice when I went up there.

The area it's self is BEAUTIFUL!! Especially with the leaves changing colors, it's amazing. It's a beautiful area to live in and there's plenty of shopping. I did notice that there really aren't that many "malls", stores are kinda scattered everywhere.

Well, I've only been here for about a month and I like it. I just came from CT so I'm used to the winters but I heard they can be a little tougher here so we'll see how we fair this winter. If you have any more questions let me know as well. I'll do my best to get you the info.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    i grew up in that region, well farther north but its completely different than the city. my SIL lives in Troy, my family is still in a small town named Keeseville. it is really gorgous in that region, esspecially right now. my little hometown is nestled in the middle of the adirondacks. there isn't a whole lot to do in the winter if you dont' ski. but Whiteface is about 3 hours away and Lake Placid, there is lots of fun stuff there to do for a weekend its kinda pricey though. plus there is Lake Champlain and your really close to Vermont there is the Rutland Muesum there that is really cool and Burlington is a lot of fun in the summer time. i would LOVE to get orders up there but my DH"s rate won't allow it.
  10. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brialee View Post
    I'm currently living in Cohoes which is right outside of Albany. The base is really spread out I'll tell you that.

The "base" in Saratoga (which is really in Milton even though they'll tell you it's in Ballston Spa...confused yet?haha) consists of housing and all your personnel needs like Pass and ID, Navy Fed, etc. To go to the commisary you have to go to Scotia which is like 15 miles away? I've only been there once because there's not much there. The commisary in Goose Creek is like 4 times bigger than the one here.

We were told that there was no medical on base for dependants so we ended up choosing a doctor out here in Cohoes. It's a really small base but the housing I think was renovated or rebuilt...it looked nice when I went up there.

The area it's self is BEAUTIFUL!! Especially with the leaves changing colors, it's amazing. It's a beautiful area to live in and there's plenty of shopping. I did notice that there really aren't that many "malls", stores are kinda scattered everywhere.

Well, I've only been here for about a month and I like it. I just came from CT so I'm used to the winters but I heard they can be a little tougher here so we'll see how we fair this winter. If you have any more questions let me know as well. I'll do my best to get you the info.

As far as the shopping, I know there's a mall in Wilton, though I'm not sure how that is. There's one in Clifton park, which is a little south is Saratoga and Ballston Spa. There's Latham Circle Mall, which is close to you since you're in Cohoes, but I wouldn't bother with that, not much there. You're also pretty close to Colonie Center, they're in the middle of renovating it, but it's still open. They also have Crossgates Mall, which is in Albany/Guilderland, that may be the biggest (until Colonie is done, then I'm not sure). Those are ones that are inside, there's also Latham Farms, which is a bunch of stores that all outside, but connected (I'm blanking suddenly on what that type is called), they have a few stores that might be useful. There's Northway Mall, which is across from Colonie Center, they have some stores. Stuyvesant Plaza is in Albany, down the road from Crossgates. There are others, too, but those are the bigger ones that I'd stick to.

Cohoes isn't far from me, it's actually pretty close, I have friends there. Plus I work in Latham. The winters here in recent years are nothing like when I was little, much milder. You're right about it being pretty with the leaves changing colors right now. I was pretty much gone from the very beginning of September until October 15th, suddenly the trees are changing and my pool is closed! Taking a ride up the northway (87) can be pretty, you can get pretty far, then just take a random exit and drive around.

I'm not sure about the housing or any of the base stuff, since I'm not there. But just to warn you, there is a place called Wilton and a place called Milton, don't get confused.... Someone was just unoriginal, apparently.

I somehow completely forgot about being close to Vermont, but you can also go there for a day, or a weekend.

Brialee, if the weather keeps up like it has been, it shouldn't be too bad. I heard on the news the other night when I couldn't sleep that this is possibly going to be the warmest October on record. Lets just hope it carries over. You really can't predict NY weather around this time, we've had Thanksgivings where there was snow, pouring rain, and absolutely gorgeous weather. Not all in the same year, of course, but you really don't know what's going to happen that year. I believe I've also gone around without jackets around Christmas/New Years.

If anyone has any questions or anything like that, I've also got AIM, MSN, Yahoo, and myspace. (By the way, in our experience, MSN worked the best for webcams when you're apart!)

-Bri

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast