Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Twin Cities, MN - anyone around here?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Twin Cities, MN - anyone around here?

Advertisements
    Hello!

Looking for some people to talk to around the Twin Cities! Anyone out there?
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I'm around 35-40 minutes south of the Twin Cities.
  3. Regular Member
    I realize this is super old (it's been awhile since I've been on here) but I live in the Twin Cities if you want to talk.
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thanks! I haven't had much luck on this site so I haven't been on in a while. The countdown is on until my fiance is back home at the end of July. Do you have someone currently deployed?
  5. Regular Member
    Yes, TDY that turned into a deployment (before they left)? I still don't get that part, but my husband should be back before the end of the month. :-) I'm trying to get a couple projects done around the house to surprise him, mostly decorating since we have stuff that should be on our walls but never seem to find the time to do that. How have you been keeping busy?
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    How long has he been gone? My fiance will be home next month and I can't wait! I, like you have done some projects around the house, painted the kitchen cabinets and walls, landscaping around the yard, etc. I was also finishing college and have graduated! It was a hard pill to swallow going through that big milestone without him but he was supporting me throughout the whole journey so it's all good, just a little bittersweet. Now I'm studying for my national boards exam which I'll take right before he comes home. So I am keeping busy which is making the time go by a little faster and now that summer is here there is always something going on so time is finally starting to zoom by.
  7. Regular Member
    He's only been gone about a week. It's a really short deployment, it started as a TDY and the classification was changed for some reason. I have no idea why it's classified as that, or honestly what the difference is in this case. He is supposed to be deploying again, for I think about 4 months that time, within the year. While we were dating, he was active and we were separated some. I thought most of that was done now that he is in the reserves, but evidently not. At least he is currently enjoying the traveling and nice weather definitely does make time alone seem to go faster.

Congratulations on graduating! I imagine it would be painful to have someone miss celebrating something you had worked so hard on completing. Good luck on your boards (teaching or nursing?). It sounds like you've been been doing a really good job of keeping busy. Have you been doing much wedding planning? Will you be staying local once he gets back?
  8. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    My guy has been in the reserves his whole enlistment and has gone on several TDYs (weeks to months) but this is his first deployment where he's been gone longer than 2 months. This one was 6 months so I have definitely had to keep busy! My boards are for physical therapist assistant I am excited to start working and making some money lol.

Wedding planning is coming right along! We are doing a destination wedding this winter so there are a few extra elements coming into play! Travel arrangements for groups are no fun but my travel agent and family have been great support. Our reception location was booked recently for next spring when it's nice out again and we can spend time outdoors.

His enlistment is up this fall so we have to have the talk of re-enlisting or not. He changes his mind from day to day so I am just trying to support him and go over all the goods and bads so we can make a decision together for what is best for us. We will probably stay in MN no matter what the decision even though we both hate the winter!!

What are you and your husbands plans? Is this his second enlistment?
  9. Regular Member
    He just recently reenlisted (third enlistment), at this point I think he is planning to stay in for the foreseeable future. I think the shift from active to reserve, wound up giving him most of the things he wanted from both worlds? His family is really close knit, so only seeing them a couple of times a year was hard when he was stationed elsewhere. He really seems to love what he is doing with the AF though, so I'm glad he found a way to do it and be close to his family.

As for our more general life plans, I've got a really stable job as a Research Scientist. We got married just over two years ago and then bought a house. With all the work we've been doing on it, I really hope we don't move anytime soon. Though I will admit that I hate how cold winter can be and how much time road construction can add to my commute. I'm still not sure who thought it was a good idea to close so much of 94 at one time. We were starting to talk about kids (he's really pro-kids, I'm in the 0 or 2 camp) but that's on hold for at least a little while now. He really doesn't want to miss the birth, which means at the very least we need to wait until that would fall after he got back from the next deployment. It's a weird topic for us, that's made worse by my MIL picking at it off and on since before we got married.

A winter destination wedding sounds awesome and like a great way to escape the cold. A couple of the people I've worked with have done them over the years, and even with having to coordinate everything from a distance they have all turned out fantastic.
  10. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I am also unsure about kids myself and my guy isn't extremely excited about them either but I get what you mean about MIL poking and prodding. Every time I see her!