Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michigan, anyone?

1. Regular Member

Michigan, anyone?

Advertisements
    Hi all,

I was hoping to find some people from Michigan to talk to and (hopefully) make friends with. I live in Harbor Beach which is this extremely small town (like there is no grocery store small) where the majority of the population is seniors and school aged children. I'm a teacher and I've been here for almost 2 years now. The people in my life are pretty much a 2 hr drive (minimum), so it's hard to see people. I consider myself a fairly independent person but this town is really starting to get to me almost 2 years in lol. I joined the one and only gym in town but there is definitely nobody my age there. I'm 24 years old and the only other person around my age is the one teacher at my school (she's 28)....other than that, good luck.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone is in my situation or if there are other MI folks that would like someone to chat with. I'm pretty easy to chat with. I have 2 kitties, like to read, am forcing myself to try and run so I can do a 5K, among other things lol. So if anyone is in the mood to chat, please send me a PM or reply here.
  2. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Unfortunately, I don't live in Michigan but I am from there. Born and raised. I'm from just south of Flint. Never heard of Harbor Beach, though.
  3. Senior Member
    If you live in Harbor Beach you are close to me. I live close to Marlette.
  4. Regular Member
    Not a lot of people have haha. It's right up in the tip of the thumb....around Bad Axe. That's where I have to grocery shop at. My family lives around Lapeer, so I have been to Flint many times. I would venture up to the Courtland Center and shop when I was a teenager.

I can definitely do laps around Harbor Beach on my bike lol. It has been a huge culture shock going from college to this, that's for sure.
  5. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *Kayla* View Post
    If you live in Harbor Beach you are close to me. I live close to Marlette.
    Really?! That's so awesome! My family lives around Lapeer so I go through Marlette on my way to visit them. I pretty much take the same road from Harbor Beach all the way until I hit Imlay City, jump on I-69 for a hot second and then I'm pretty much there after a couple exits or so.

My name is Shea btw Yay for someone being close to me lol.
  6. Senior Member
    Yeah you probably take M-53 all the way there right? I leave in Lapeer county, I'm 5 minutes from Marlette. I'm Kayla We are actually really close in age too, I'll be 24 this summer. Where did you go to college?
  7. Regular Member
    I went to college at Central Michigan University. And yep, I take that M-53 stretch all the way down. It feels like forever. The other road that I am always on is M-25 if I choose to go through Port Huron lol. I graduated from CMU in May 2011 and pretty much moved to Harbor Beach that summer for my teaching job. I know Lapeer county isn't the largest area, but it is like an amusement park compared to Huron County lol.

Where did you go to college at? I have a summer birthday too haha.
  8. Senior Member
    I am still in college. I attend Saginaw Valley State University, I'm an English Major/History Minor. Next winter I apply to the College of Education so that's another thing we have in common. I actually thought about taking some online courses from CMU seeing as SVSU doesn't have any.
  9. Regular Member
    One of my best friends went to SVSU for college. She went through the teaching program and just graduated last May. My mom actually teaches a course up there still lol. I was a Language Arts major at CMU and I had what CMU called a Planned Program minor (that they discontinued lol). It's pretty much a bunch of general area studies wrapped up in a minor there. What age group do you want to teach?

And CMU has some good online courses. I never took any, but people that I knew up in college did. You just have to make sure to get a good professor. RateMyProfesser.com is a huge help for CMU professors because there are good ones and really bad ones haha.
  10. Senior Member
    I think there are good and bad professors everywhere. SVSU's math department is horrible! Online classes are easier for me to take because I live over an hour away from Saginaw. I hate driving that distance for classes. I took online classes when I started at Delta College and I loved them. I am hoping for to teach high school. I know with Secondary Education I can teach as low at 6th grade but I don't think I would enjoy it. I coached 7th/8th grade girls for 2 years and they made me want to rip my hair out daily. They also had stupid drama going on.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast