Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Butte county fire

1. Senior Member

Butte county fire

Advertisements
    https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/11/08/us/...www.cnn.com%2F

Please pray or send good vibes. My aunt and cousins have been evacuated. We are praying they have homes to return to.
    “There is a time in every man's education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide”

― Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self Reliance
  2. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

That looks absolutely terrifying. Glad your family is safe and I hope their homes are spared.

I used to wonder about people getting caught in fires etc ... I didn't realize until I took a course at work last year how fast fires can move, I guess I had it in my head like a Bambi forest fire creeping along. We had a training about how fast they can move and how dangerous they are, and even how far from the fire the smoke can affect people's health and damage their stuff. Now that I have a better understanding it is even more scary.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    That looks absolutely terrifying. Glad your family is safe and I hope their homes are spared.

I used to wonder about people getting caught in fires etc ... I didn't realize until I took a course at work last year how fast fires can move, I guess I had it in my head like a Bambi forest fire creeping along. We had a training about how fast they can move and how dangerous they are, and even how far from the fire the smoke can affect people's health and damage their stuff. Now that I have a better understanding it is even more scary.
    Oh yea, that was something I used to teach to kids when I did the fire trailer back in my firefighter days, it's so much faster than tv leads us to believe.

They are safe.... it is very likely at this point that their homes are gone.... I feel so bad for my aunt because my mom's little brother died in 2006, that house was the last place he was alive, and I'm sure holds so many memories for her.
  4. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post

In the right conditions, a fire can outpace a car. They can jump several kilometres without touching the ground as well, which is how they sometimes get past specifically cleared fire-breaks - it’s called “crowning”, and it means that sparks or burning debris have made it directly from the top of one tree to the top of another.

Northern California...that might mean eucalyptus, which would go up like a torch. They’re meant to need regular fire - fires are necessary for the seed casing to crack and seeds to sprout...they’re Australian natives, of course they’re oddities - so they burn if you look at them funny. They sometimes spontaneously explode just from heat, and the vapour from the oil in the leaves ignites as it hangs in the air. Instant fireball.

Fires are scary.

OP, consider prayers made. Of course.
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Awful I know a few firefighters who will be called in to help, if they haven't been already.