Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hot car deaths and prevention

1. Senior Member

hot car deaths and prevention

Advertisements
    So, we had a hot car death recently near us. My sister teaches right by where it happened, and the fire department that I used to work for responded.
    It hit close to home in so many ways, the baby was the same age as my third baby, and my niece, who has the same daycare parent drop off/other parent pick up cycle as this baby had.

So there have been a few preventative measures brought up, leaving something behind with the baby (purse or shoe) and even an app that lets you know if you have walked away from a child in the car.

Now, I'm convinced that this would never happen to me, but then again, I'm sure others have said the same?
    I have forgotten the diaper bag, my wallet, but never a child.
    My mom forgot my sister once when they were on the way to the airport, and my parents both forgot I was playing outside when I was five and they both left the house, assuming the other had me.

I am seeing a lot of comments like "if you need an app, you shouldn't have kids," or criticizing the leaving of an object, concluding the object left has more value to the person than the child does.

My kids are also not in daycare, and I rarely leave the house, so that takes a lot of risk from us, but even if I think this could never happen to me, is someone really wrong for using these preventative measures?
    I think, if someone thinks there is a *chance* this could possibly happen, maybe they are tired or their routines change, if these measures can save ONE life, we should encourage them. I mean, a parent using prevention has NOT done anything to be judged so harshly in my opinion.

I don't think people are valuing a shoe or purse more than a child, but if your routine doesn't usually inclue dropping the kid off, and you step out of your car without a shoe, you won't get far without realizing it.
    “There is a time in every man's education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide”

― Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self Reliance
  2. Senior Member
    No one is wrong for using those measures. Kids get left in hot cars by people who think it'll never happen to them.
  3. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Between sleep deprivation, stress, in some cases outright mental illness (post natal depression)...it's far easier to lose track of details than anyone wants to admit. If an app or a small routine like leaving something with the baby helps parents double-check and be certain, then that app/routine is a good thing.

Better to have it in place and never need it than to need it and not have it.
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  4. Senior Member
    In addition to people who accidentally leave their kids in the car are the people who think "Oh it's not THAT hot, my child/dog will be fine, it will only be 10 minutes" which is even more dangerous! I chose to stay in the car a few times on days that weren't that hot and within 10 minutes the heat is brutal.

I think preventative measures are good though. You don't install a home security system because you know or even think your home will be broken into, you do it just in case. It's a dangerous risk you'd rather not take. If any of these methods can save even one child they're worth promoting and sharing.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina22LE View Post
    In addition to people who accidentally leave their kids in the car are the people who think "Oh it's not THAT hot, my child/dog will be fine, it will only be 10 minutes" which is even more dangerous! I chose to stay in the car a few times on days that weren't that hot and within 10 minutes the heat is brutal.

I think preventative measures are good though. You don't install a home security system because you know or even think your home will be broken into, you do it just in case. It's a dangerous risk you'd rather not take. If any of these methods can save even one child they're worth promoting and sharing.
    It gets way hotter than I think a lot of people realize!!!
    If it is even warm out, just pumping gas, uf dh does it he leaves the windows up and it gets uncomfortable, that's for what, two minutes?

I am reassured here.
    I was so upset reading the nasty things people say about mothers using these techniques. Even if you don't use them, why tell someone who does that they are awful? What would they say if a parent left their kid in the car, that they should have used one of the methods they are currently judging parents for using?

I have seriously gotten to my destination before without shoes.
    I would really like to believe it would never be me, but.... I'm not perfect (who knew right???)
  6. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post
    It gets way hotter than I think a lot of people realize!!!
    If it is even warm out, just pumping gas, uf dh does it he leaves the windows up and it gets uncomfortable, that's for what, two minutes?

I am reassured here.
    I was so upset reading the nasty things people say about mothers using these techniques. Even if you don't use them, why tell someone who does that they are awful? What would they say if a parent left their kid in the car, that they should have used one of the methods they are currently judging parents for using?

I have seriously gotten to my destination before without shoes.
    I would really like to believe it would never be me, but.... I'm not perfect (who knew right???)

This is the nature of motherhood. Parenthood in general as well, but specifically motherhood. No matter what you do or what decision you make, someone will tell you you're Doing It Wrong, and if you're very lucky possibly that you're Ruining Your Child How Dare You.

I really hate the mummy wars.
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Just an observation. People who think "I would never do that" are more likely to do it because they are not taking precautions..it's like being anti-vax.
    But I hate the "it would never happen to me." Of course it wouldn't happen to you, you do it to the child! It's not a passive act that happens to a parent. Just my vent.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  8. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

There's science behind how people forget. Look in to it. Of course it could happen to anyone. The only question in these cases is was it malicious or a true tragedy because of an over tired/whelmed brain.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    There's science behind how people forget. Look in to it. Of course it could happen to anyone. The only question in these cases is was it malicious or a true tragedy because of an over tired/whelmed brain.
    All of this.

10. Senior Member
    There was a really great article floating around a while back about how it could happen. Those people who argue that there is NO possible way it would EVER happen to them, and they know this for a FACT, really upset me because yes, it CAN happen and I bet a lot of the people it did happen to have said the exact same thing. There are a lot of factors involved. These people aren't "bad parents" and "shouldn't have had kids" I feel for them every time I hear it happen. I can't even imagine the guilt they must feel for the rest of their lives.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast