Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marine Corps KC-130 crashes in Mississippi, 16 dead

1. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    3.45%

Marine Corps KC-130 crashes in Mississippi, 16 dead

Advertisements
    Marine Corps KC-130 crashes in Mississippi, 16 dead - CNN.com

(CNN)A US Marine Corps transport plane crashed in rural western Mississippi on Monday afternoon, killing all 16 service members who were on board, officials said.

The KC-130, an aircraft that the Marines can use to refuel planes in the air as well as carry cargo, crashed in Leflore County at about 4 p.m. CT, the service said.
    Federal Aviation Administration officials contacted the Marines when the aircraft disappeared from air traffic control radar over Mississippi, officials said.
    The cause of the crash wasn't immediately known, the Marines said. The plane went down just off US 82, about 85 miles north of Jackson, with debris found on both sides of the highway, CNN affiliate WDBD reported.

The flight originated from Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point in eastern North Carolina, the Marines said. The service hasn't commented on the crew's mission, the itinerary or the destination.
    CNN affiliates WDBD and WHBQ, citing officials they didn't name, reported the plane had stopped in Memphis, Tennessee.
    The service members' names weren't immediately released.

"While the details of the incident are being investigated, our focus remains on providing the necessary resources and support to the family and friends of these service members as they go through this extremely difficult time," the Marines said in a news release.
    Flames and dark smoke rose from part of the wreckage in a field off the highway, video from WDBD showed.
    *******UPDATE*********

(CNN)Seven of the service members killed in a military transport plane crash in Mississippi were from an elite Marine unit based at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, the Marine Corps said Tuesday.

The other nine Marines killed were from Orange County, New York, county executive Steve Neuhaus said. The KC-130T aircraft was based in New York, officials said.
    Investigators are trying to determine why the plane crashed in western Mississippi's Leflore County on Monday afternoon, Maj. Andrew Aranda said.
    The transport plane, carrying fifteen Marines and a Navy corpsman, was moving personnel and equipment from North Carolina to a western base to train before deploying, the Marine Corps said.
    Six Marines and the sailor were members of the 2d Marine Raider Battalion, based in Camp Lejeune in Jacksonville, North Carolina. They were part of Marine Corps Forces, Special Operations Command and were traveling to the Marine Corps Air Station in Yuma, Arizona, for small unit pre-deployment training.

"The incredible demands of this dangerous and demanding calling forge some of the tightest units and family bonds found in the US military," special operations command said. "This loss impacts us all."
    Neuhaus said the New York-based Marines will be flown back to Dover Air Force Base, then to Orange County.
    The names of the deceased weren't immediately released, but a father of one of the Marines told CNN affiliate WCAX his son was on the plane.
    Father of Marine killed: He loved to fly
    Gunnery Sgt. Brendan Johnson was from Vermont. His father told WCAX and CNN that his son loved his job.
    "He thought it was one of the best jobs in the Marine Corps. He really loved flying. He loved going different places," Kevin Johnson said of his son, who spent 23 years in the Marines and was a loadmaster.
    Brendan Johnson, 45, planned to retire next year, after a career that took him to Europe, Africa, South Asia and the Pacific, including deployments to Afghanistan and Iraq.
    "He was looking forward to retiring, he said it's time to let the younger kids do this," his father said.
    Report: Debris found across wide area
    The aircraft belonged to a Marine Forces Reserve refueling and transport squadron based at Stewart Air National Guard Base in Newburgh, New York.
    The plane, which the military can use to refuel planes in the air and carry cargo, went down in a rural area just off US 82, about 85 miles north of Jackson, with debris found on both sides of the highway, CNN affiliate WDBD reported.
    The flight originated from Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point in eastern North Carolina.
    Federal Aviation Administration officials contacted the Marines when the aircraft disappeared from air traffic control radar over Mississippi, officials said.
    "Every resource we can pull from will be used to determine what happened," Aranda told reporters a couple miles from the crash site.

Because the plane was carrying small-arms ammunition and weapons, an explosive ordnance disposal team was at the crash site, military officials said.
    "Out of precaution, we just wanted to make sure people do not approach ... just out of general safety," Aranda said.
    Flames and dark smoke rose from part of the wreckage in a field off the highway, video from WDBD on Monday showed.
    CNN affiliates WDBD and WHBQ, citing officials they didn't name, reported the plane had stopped in Memphis, Tennessee. Aranda did not confirm that, saying he didn't know details about the aircraft's flight plan.
    Witness: Plane spiraled to ground, nose down
    A witness to Monday's crash, Andy Jones, said he heard a loud bang while working in a field near his catfish farm.
    The plane spiraled, nose down, to the ground, Jones said. One of the engines appeared to be trailing white smoke, he said.
    "At first it looked like an acrobatic plane, like a stunt plane, blowing the smoke out the back" he said. "Then all of a sudden you realized that the smoke was coming off one of sides of the wing."
    He called 911 after the crash. Jones said he didn't see the impact because trees blocked his view.
    He said he went out to the site and saw a bunch of mini-explosions coming from the crash.
    ******UPDATE******
    The 16 Victims names have been released

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/13/us/vic...ppi/index.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/13/u...h-victims.html
    Last edited by idratherbehiking; 07-14-2017 at 08:59 AM.
  2. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    27.32%
    This is awful ��
  3. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    3.45%
    My thoughts go out to the families, friends, and everyone at Cherry Point today.

We lived at Cherry Point for 4 years and still have some friends there. This one hits close to home.

4. Plays with knives
    Plays with knives
    Lv. Percent
    62.98%
    Oh my God. All of them?

Accensum qui pedicat urit mentulam.
  5. Personally victimized by Regina George
    Personally victimized by Regina George
    Lv. Percent
    63.78%
  6. Moderator
    Lv. Percent
    73.19%

Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    My thoughts go out to the families, friends, and everyone at Cherry Point today.

We lived at Cherry Point for 4 years and still have some friends there. This one hits close to home.
    It def hits close to home, being a part of the Marine Corps aviation community which is so small in general.

I can't imagine what the families will be going through. It's so damn sad.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Lv. Percent
    51.93%
    Very tragic.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  8. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    13.38%
    Horrible .... these kind of things always make me feel so weird, sad and uneasy.

Prayers to all of their families.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Lv. Percent
    63.33%

Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    Oh my God. All of them?

The article I read said they're thinking it exploded mid air due to where all the debre is. Plus with so much ammunition aboard they had to wait some time to get close to the acft. Awful.

Prayers going out for the families and friends of those involved. Such a sad day
  10. The name says it all!
    The name says it all!
    Lv. Percent
    68.52%

Saw it on the news last night. How tragic and sad! I can't begin to fathom what the families are going through. My heart and prayers go out to each and every one affected.

DH: Thank you. ME: For what, babe? DH: For being you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast