Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: USS Fitzgerald

1. Senior Member

USS Fitzgerald

Advertisements
    My heart is going out to their families

https://www.navytimes.com/articles/n...rald-collision

I read that two berthings were also destroyed and saw an address online for donations, but I feel as though I should fact check if they are accepting donations and what they need.
    “There is a time in every man's education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide”

― Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self Reliance
  2. Senior Member
    That is so incredibly sad. My heart goes out to the families. One of them was only 19!
  3. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post
    My heart is going out to their families

https://www.navytimes.com/articles/n...rald-collision

I read that two berthings were also destroyed and saw an address online for donations, but I feel as though I should fact check if they are accepting donations and what they need.
    It is beyond sad.

I have read from their FRG contacts that the best bet is just to donate to the FRG. Navy and Marine Corps Relief Society has uniforms for the sailors, hit boots and shoes are still needed. I have that address if you'd like it.

The Navy has said that no gofundmes or anything of that nature is approved by the Navy.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twistertwin View Post
    It is beyond sad.

I have read from their FRG contacts that the best bet is just to donate to the FRG. Navy and Marine Corps Relief Society has uniforms for the sailors, hit boots and shoes are still needed. I have that address if you'd like it.

The Navy has said that no gofundmes or anything of that nature is approved by the Navy.
    I really hope nobody tries to profit off of this with a fake gofund me.
    Can you share that address?
    I have also heard NEX gift cards are acceptable donations, but I'm weird about sending gift cards in the mail.
  5. Senior Member
    Do not donate to GoFundMe.

NMCRS, Red Cross, and the USO are all doing a lot of great work on the ground in Yokosuka. A donation to any of the three would help. With NMCRS and the Red Cross, you can make a note that earmarks your donation directly to the Fitzgerald, rather than their general fund, so that you know the money will be spent on those sailors.

The latest post today from my Yokosuka friends is that they need enlisted dress whites for those sailors who lost everything, so that they can attend the funerals and memorial ceremonies. :cry A monetary donation would help with that. The NMCRS has opened up their thrift store to Fitzgerald sailors, free of charge.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

So incredibly sad. I can't get over the fact the cargo ship actually did a 360 turn and the crash happened at the end of it. Like what was the reasoning?

I did get an FRG email stating that the GoFundMe accounts aren't authorized.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EverlastingLove View Post
    So incredibly sad. I can't get over the fact the cargo ship actually did a 360 turn and the crash happened at the end of it. Like what was the reasoning?

Yea, but you know, because people are terrible that there will be gofundme accounts open in the name of the ship or sailors and used for personal gain. People suck. I haven't seen any yet, but I'm preemptively saying it.

I'm sure heads will roll because it was avoidable, but I am no expert on ship movement and stuff.
  8. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Quote Originally Posted by EverlastingLove View Post

Between the crew of both ships there must have been about twelve people and a great deal of expensive equipment who were specifically looking to avoid hazards like that...what the hell went so wrong that none of it worked in time?

We're hearing about it here too. Those poor people
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post
    Yea, but you know, because people are terrible that there will be gofundme accounts open in the name of the ship or sailors and used for personal gain. People suck. I haven't seen any yet, but I'm preemptively saying it.

I'm sure heads will roll because it was avoidable, but I am no expert on ship movement and stuff.
    Oh I completely agree. There are some awful people out there who will try to profit from tragedy.

From what I read no other ships, civilian or military, conducted that maneuver so it's very skeptical to me. I can't help but wonder if it was intentional? Perhaps not to crash but maybe to get a closer look or something? It's just sketchy and incredibly sad. DH is in the process of trying to start the course for dive school and I can't imagine having to find casualties.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    Between the crew of both ships there must have been about twelve people and a great deal of expensive equipment who were specifically looking to avoid hazards like that...what the hell went so wrong that none of it worked in time?

We're hearing about it here too. Those poor people

Right?! Even if one ships radar was off what's the likelihood of both of them being that far off? Again, brings up the random turn around and speed change. From 21kts to 4? Let's just say I'm as equally eager to find out that explanation as I am upset for the families and crew.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast