Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: USS Fitzgerald

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassycat View Post
    Oh ok, so it was a totally different ship. Well don't I feel dumb ha. I also assumed at first he'd had some kind of nervous breakdown, I've seen a lot of nasty comments about him which is just sad, who knows what he was going through? That is really confusing about the articles getting the timing of everything wrong at first. I'll be interested to see if any new info comes out.
    When the news just broke about the collision and no reports had really come in I was saying "well it just isn't our week in Japan." That we had a missing sailor hiding on a ship than we (the navy) get into a collision) Japan must be loving us right now.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    The captain of the container ship has made a statement

It gets stranger and stranger.
    That just jumbles everything even more... So according to the container ship captain, who apparently had the ship on auto pilot, the USS went out of their way to hit the container ship at 130am, but the container ship started to circle around before 1am? And if the crew tried to signal a warning, why couldn't they take the ship off autopilot and stop? (I literally don't know if that's even possible, but I'm curious) Sounds to me like the captain of the container ship is trying to point fingers.
  3. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina View Post
    That just jumbles everything even more... So according to the container ship captain, who apparently had the ship on auto pilot, the USS went out of their way to hit the container ship at 130am, but the container ship started to circle around before 1am? And if the crew tried to signal a warning, why couldn't they take the ship off autopilot and stop? (I literally don't know if that's even possible, but I'm curious) Sounds to me like the captain of the container ship is trying to point fingers.
    From what i saw online, the captain of the container ship DID take it off auto pilot and pulled to the right really hard to try to avoid the collision, but couldn't. If you look at pictures of that ship, you can tell it didn't hit the Fitzgerald head on, the scrapings and damage are on the left side of the very front end. I don't think you can stop a ship like that very quickly, especially if it's fully loaded.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  4. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    We have an update on the Fitzgerald thing.
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  5. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

We have an update on the Fitzgerald thing.
    Wow! I remember people saying based on the damages to the ships that it seemed the Crystal had the right of way. I'm really curious to see what the official results will say.
  6. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    There's been another collision

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...sel/584808001/

This is the same class of ship as the Fitzgerald, no? Two incidents in such quick succession...could there be some flaw in Arleigh-Burke ships as a whole? Or is this just a fluke?
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  7. Regular Member
    There's been another collision

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...sel/584808001/

This is the same class of ship as the Fitzgerald, no? Two incidents in such quick succession...could there be some flaw in Arleigh-Burke ships as a whole? Or is this just a fluke?
    I read that there was negligence on the CO's part in both incidents. 4th accident this year in the 7th fleet though! Makes me so nervous thinking about DB going underway. I hope that this is all figured out soon

***I am SO sorry, I'm realizing now that in my exhaustion I mistook Commander (of the fleet) for Commanding Officer. I'm still trying to remember all of the ranks, and terms, etc. that pertain to the Navy. I realize that this was a completely awful mistake to make, and I from the bottom of my heart am so sorry. I got confused, and in doing so said something that should not have been said.
    Last edited by xylilz; 08-25-2017 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Miswording/misinformation
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xylilz View Post
    I read that there was negligence on the CO's part in both incidents. 4th accident this year in the 7th fleet though! Makes me so nervous thinking about DB going underway. I hope that this is all figured out soon
    I think it's unfair and kind of gross to speculate on this sort of thing, especially in public, and even more especially based on no actual facts or evidence (unless you happen to have those). We have almost no facts on the McCain incident at this point, but you are you tossing out rumors that a man is responsible for the deaths of multiple people under his protection. I think that's shitty as fuck, frankly. What if he isn't responsible, and you are smearing his name in one of the worst ways possible, simply because... what...? You want to be the one with the scoop? If the CO had some guilt in the matter, that will come out. Until then, you are disparaging his character based on nothing other than petty, ignorant speculation. People are dead. Why can't we just mourn that, rather than making this a juicy gossip fest? Gross.

Imagine something happened in your DB's command, and people were posting on the internet that they heard your DB was negligent and therefore at least partly responsible for the deaths of his shipmates? How would that feel? And if it was based on nothing concrete or factual (yet)? It was just people with nothing better to do than gossip and use your DB as the root of that gossip?

Sorry to unload like this, but I'm seeing so much ugliness about this incident and the Fitz, and I'm pretty much done with just ignoring it. This has hit the Navy Japan family so incredibly hard, and to see it used as gossip fodder by people is sickening, and salt in a very open wound.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    I think it's unfair and kind of gross to speculate on this sort of thing, especially in public, and even more especially based on no actual facts or evidence (unless you happen to have those). We have almost no facts on the McCain incident at this point, but you are you tossing out rumors that a man is responsible for the deaths of multiple people under his protection. I think that's shitty as fuck, frankly. What if he isn't responsible, and you are smearing his name in one of the worst ways possible, simply because... what...? You want to be the one with the scoop? If the CO had some guilt in the matter, that will come out. Until then, you are disparaging his character based on nothing other than petty, ignorant speculation. People are dead. Why can't we just mourn that, rather than making this a juicy gossip fest? Gross.

Imagine something happened in your DB's command, and people were posting on the internet that they heard your DB was negligent and therefore at least partly responsible for the deaths of his shipmates? How would that feel? And if it was based on nothing concrete or factual (yet)? It was just people with nothing better to do than gossip and use your DB as the root of that gossip?

Sorry to unload like this, but I'm seeing so much ugliness about this incident and the Fitz, and I'm pretty much done with just ignoring it. This has hit the Navy Japan family so incredibly hard, and to see it used as gossip fodder by people is sickening, and salt in a very open wound.
    I cannot imagine what it is like for those still over there.
    Do you know if they need any donations? I haven't heard anything on if berthings were destroyed. I know worrying about anyone's belongings isn't likely a priority for them right now.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post
    I cannot imagine what it is like for those still over there.
    Do you know if they need any donations? I haven't heard anything on if berthings were destroyed. I know worrying about anyone's belongings isn't likely a priority for them right now.
    The donation situation for this one is far more complicated because the sailors and ship are in Singapore, rather than home in Japan. With the Fitz, there were huge clothing and necessity drives, and people going down to sew patches on uniforms, and to cook meals for sailors and families. There's some on the ground stuff like now, like meal drives for local families and baby sitting and that sort of thing, but as far as getting donations to sailors locally, there's not much. And they don't want people to just mail stuff to the ship, last I checked, because if they are inundated with packages, it can slow down getting the stuff they truly need. NMCRS is helping out, so that's maybe the best way to pitch in if you feel compelled to help right away. Probably also Red Cross, and with them if you want you can label your donations so it goes specifically to the McCain.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast