Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: USS Fitzgerald

1. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Advertisements
    This has been such a horrible tragedy. Noe Hernandez was in my boot camp division and graduated with me. That was 8 years ago and other then the occasional like and comment of Facebook we haven't really spoken. My division has a Facebook group and we're all pretty upset.

We knew he was one of the 7 missing because his family had been posting about it and tagging him. Then we found out the 7 missing were actually dead.

The other thing I've been dealing with is how real it makes my husbands service. While I was never deployed, he was twice. He was also in berthing 1, on his ship. This could have been my husband.

I don't know. My emotions have been a little all over, but my heart goes out to those families.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Abbynormal View Post
    This has been such a horrible tragedy. Noe Hernandez was in my boot camp division and graduated with me. That was 8 years ago and other then the occasional like and comment of Facebook we haven't really spoken. My division has a Facebook group and we're all pretty upset.

We knew he was one of the 7 missing because his family had been posting about it and tagging him. Then we found out the 7 missing were actually dead.

The other thing I've been dealing with is how real it makes my husbands service. While I was never deployed, he was twice. He was also in berthing 1, on his ship. This could have been my husband.

I don't know. My emotions have been a little all over, but my heart goes out to those families.
    I'm so sorry for your loss! You may not have been close but he was still an acquaintance.

It hit close for me as well. My husband isn't on a ship, he's on a sub. I seriously don't even want to think about what happens in that circumstance.
  3. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

This story is so sad and so scary. I always thought stuff like this just wouldn't/couldn't happen but it goes to show it's dangerous being out at sea even with the best equipment, radar, etc.

I'm also really confused about what happened but I don't think we know enough yet. The Navy was saying the crash happened one hour later than the Japanese Coast Guard said, but it looks like they've agreed on a timeline now. I also read that might explain the 360 the shipping vessel did; they hit something and then doubled back to check what happened. But strange they waited so long to report a collision. Also saw the Fitz got hit on the starboard side, do navy vessels still have to follow the rules of the road? I guess it's going to be a while before they get everything figured out.
  4. Regular Member
    Very sad. Df knew one of the sailors who was killed too. I don't fully understand what actually happened so I don't want to say anything offensive. The thing I'm really confused about is the one guy who was missing and they ended up finding him hiding in the engine area? I just don't get why I guess.
  5. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Sassycat View Post
    Very sad. Df knew one of the sailors who was killed too. I don't fully understand what actually happened so I don't want to say anything offensive. The thing I'm really confused about is the one guy who was missing and they ended up finding him hiding in the engine area? I just don't get why I guess.
    The sailor that was missing and found hiding was on the USS Shiloh. I don't want to speculate too much but I wonder about his mental health, maybe he was having some kind of crisis or breakdown that led to that behavior. As for right now I don't think anyone knows why yet.

Same thing with the Fitz really I don't think anyone knows exactly what happened yet. I did read that the investigation found that the Crystal was on autopilot when the collision occurred. The initial articles are really confusing because they have the wrong time, but then that also raises the question of why it took the merchant ship an hour to report the collision. I think there's just not enough information right now to figure out what went wrong.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    The sailor that was missing and found hiding was on the USS Shiloh. I don't want to speculate too much but I wonder about his mental health, maybe he was having some kind of crisis or breakdown that led to that behavior. As for right now I don't think anyone knows why yet.

Same thing with the Fitz really I don't think anyone knows exactly what happened yet. I did read that the investigation found that the Crystal was on autopilot when the collision occurred. The initial articles are really confusing because they have the wrong time, but then that also raises the question of why it took the merchant ship an hour to report the collision. I think there's just not enough information right now to figure out what went wrong.
    The sailor from the Shiloh was sent to the brig. I think they evaluated him? Not positive. Navy times said he is waiting for trial for possible court marshaled discharge.

I am all for people getting the help they need, but I have no sympathy for this kid. He worried a *lot* of people and got Japan involved too, I bet their opinion of us has been hindered.

There are specualtions of what happened with the communication on the Fitzgerald, I feel really terrible for everyone involved. I'm sorry for everyone who lost someone, friend or loved one.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post
    The sailor from the Shiloh was sent to the brig. I think they evaluated him? Not positive. Navy times said he is waiting for trial for possible court marshaled discharge.

I am all for people getting the help they need, but I have no sympathy for this kid. He worried a *lot* of people and got Japan involved too, I bet their opinion of us has been hindered.

There are specualtions of what happened with the communication on the Fitzgerald, I feel really terrible for everyone involved. I'm sorry for everyone who lost someone, friend or loved one.
    He was medivac'd to the RR for evaluation almost immediately after being found. There was also a multi-country search party with multiple vessels and covered something like 5000 square miles for so many days. I don't doubt he had every opportunity to speak up l, but hiding in a room for 9 days and letting everyone assume he was overboard? Not to mention he hid himself so well he wasn't found the first few times they checked... no sympathy.
  8. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina View Post
    He was medivac'd to the RR for evaluation almost immediately after being found. There was also a multi-country search party with multiple vessels and covered something like 5000 square miles for so many days. I don't doubt he had every opportunity to speak up l, but hiding in a room for 9 days and letting everyone assume he was overboard? Not to mention he hid himself so well he wasn't found the first few times they checked... no sympathy.
    I was at a food thing the other day, and a couple of the sailors there said he may have been threatened and that's why he hid. I'm not sure if they were pulling my leg or not, but they said it's pretty common on the boat to form cliques and it could have been a threat of hazing possibly taken too far.
  9. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    The captain of the container ship has made a statement

It gets stranger and stranger.
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  10. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post

Oh ok, so it was a totally different ship. Well don't I feel dumb ha. I also assumed at first he'd had some kind of nervous breakdown, I've seen a lot of nasty comments about him which is just sad, who knows what he was going through? That is really confusing about the articles getting the timing of everything wrong at first. I'll be interested to see if any new info comes out.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast