Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Man Dragged from United Flight

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    They weren't even overbooked initially, they had 4 employees they wanted to put on the flight last minute!
    If they had been planning to transport the employees then they overbooked by 4 seats, but I honestly don't see why they couldn't have sat in the flight attendant seats if it was THAT important that they get there.

Quote Originally Posted by brahette View Post
    Just an aside, this isn't an issue specific to United. All airlines overbook.

But yeah, United is screwed.
    Obviously it happens with every airline, but United seems to do it a LOT.

I'm kind of surprised no one volunteered to get off in his place, they usually offer really good incentives like free ticket, upgrade to first class, etc
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    The reason the employees got the seats was because I guess they were due to work on another flight? Like they would've had to delay other flights by however long if they didn't get them on this particular flight. That's still no excuse though lmao plan your shit better.
    Yeah exactly, its like umm yea we all work and have a place to be!?
  3. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina22LE View Post
    If they had been planning to transport the employees then they overbooked by 4 seats, but I honestly don't see why they couldn't have sat in the flight attendant seats if it was THAT important that they get there.
    Because there were already flight attendants on the plane? Also, who knows where the additional 4 flight attendants came from. Obviously if they weren't prepared for them, their plane came in late or was delayed for some reason, hence the rush for 4 extra seats.

I'm kind of surprised no one volunteered to get off in his place, they usually offer really good incentives like free ticket, upgrade to first class, etc
    Eh, I'm not surprised at all. Who wants the inconvenience of having to wait at the airport again for the next flight? Staying overnight? Going back through security the next day? Meals while you're stuck somewhere? What about when you have a job to get to, a family to take care of? When you travel as much as I did for my previous job (once a week), you see it happen on every airline, not just United. Overbooking is standard now. Not everyone wants or can afford to take the incentives, and not every airline offers decent ones. I certainly wouldn't take it unless I got offered a really really high amount and an overnight hotel.
  4. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina22LE View Post

They only offered an 800$ voucher, nothing else. I wouldn't have gotten off either for that.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  5. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    They only offered an 800$ voucher, nothing else. I wouldn't have gotten off either for that.
    YESSS. The one time I got an $800 Delta voucher, my next trip to the UK was paid for! But it was only because I had nowhere else to be the next day *and* I'd packed extra clothes in my carry-on in case of delays... so I could afford a night in a hotel. I think only three people could out of the entire plane.
  6. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

The video was really hard to watch. I bet some of those passengers feel really traumatized sitting through that, not to mention what happened to that poor man. Plus the violence of what happened ending up delaying the plane anyway, was it really worth literal blood sweat and tears for those Delta employees to get on that specific flight? I think it was a horrible move on Delta's part. Everyone has a price ... they should have just kept upping it until they got volunteers and chalked it up to the cost of doing business.

I also don't think it was fair to the employees, in a way. I mean I'm pretty sure it wasn't their call to use violence to try to get passengers off the plane. There were eyewitness accounts saying passengers were saying things like "you should be ashamed" to the employees ... I would be SO uncomfortable if my employer put me in a situation like that.
  7. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    One of the officers involved in forcibly removing and dragging a passenger from an overbooked United Airlines flight was placed on leave Monday.
    “The incident on United flight 3411 was not in accordance with our standard operating procedure and the actions of the aviation security officer are obviously not condoned by the Department,” a spokesperson for the Chicago Department of Aviation told TIME. “That officer has been placed on leave effective today pending a thorough review of the situation.”
    The spokesperson did not provide any other details of the decision or the incident itself. It was not clear how many officers were involved in the incident.
    In a statement, the Chicago Police Department said Aviation officers were summoned to the aircraft after the passenger “became irate after he was asked to disembark from a flight that was oversold.”
    “Aviation Officers arrived on scene attempted to carry the individual off of the flight when he fell,” the police said. “His head subsequently struck an armrest causing injuries to his face.”
    Other videos taken by passengers show the man repeatedly saying, “just kill me, just kill me” as blood dripped from his head and mouth during the incident. Police said he was taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
    A video posted on Facebook Sunday evening showed a security officer pulling a passenger from his seat and dragging him by the arms through the aisle of an overbooked United Airlines flight heading from Chicago to Louisville.
    The man had refused to leave his seat after United officials randomly selected four passengers to switch flights to allow four United employees to take their places on board, passenger Audra Bridges, who took the video, told Courier-Journal. The male passenger claimed he was a doctor who had to return to his patients Monday morning. (The company had offered vouchers and hotel stays to a volunteer to take a Monday flight, but no one opted to do so.)
    The incident evoked outrage online as people questioned the handling of the incident by United Airlines and security officers involved.
    “After our team looked for volunteers, one customer refused to leave the aircraft voluntarily and law enforcement was asked to come to the gate,” the company said in a statement Monday morning.
    United CEO Oscar Munoz said the company will conduct a review “with a sense of urgency” and will speak with the man who was pulled from his seat.“I apologize for having to re-accommodate these customers,” Munoz said.
    United Airlines: Officer Who Removed Passenger Put on Leave | Time.com

Wow

If you watch the videos you can clearly see he was very forcefully ripped from his seat and had his face smashed on an arm rest, this was not him "falling"
    Watch it here

Another video: https://twitter.com/JayseDavid/statu...23662976004096
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  8. Senior Member
    yeah I was pretty distressed by this. I'm curious, the man said he was a doctor and had patients to see. If they forcibly removed him (and this point assaulted him, possibly injuring him) what about his patients? What if he has critical patients? what if he was scheduled to be in surgery? dude paid for his ticket, and broke no laws, followed all the rules, he shouldn't have been forced off the plane.

9. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    yeah I was pretty distressed by this. I'm curious, the man said he was a doctor and had patients to see. If they forcibly removed him (and this point assaulted him, possibly injuring him) what about his patients? What if he has critical patients? what if he was scheduled to be in surgery? dude paid for his ticket, and broke no laws, followed all the rules, he shouldn't have been forced off the plane.
    Exactly. I don't even care that he was a doctor specifically, he could've been a dude that didn't want to miss any job.

I'm disappointed that they are spinning it like he was being a handful, when he paid for that flight and wasn't a danger to anyone.
  10. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I'm sure United won't be overbooked for a while.

life's a party, rock your body
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast