Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: #Brexit

1. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Advertisements
    Our wealth manager said the market would be down 500 points today and I thought that was a little doom-and-gloom but well ... yeah. Tons of people came in freaking out. DH said he was going to the airport to buy some pounds so we'll see ...

If I lived in the UK I think I would have been the Bremain side but I'm not as close to the issue so it's hard to say. I feel for Scotland's position and now I'm really curious to see if they're going to leave. I wouldn't be surprised if they did at all. Also feel for all the Bremain voters, I can imagine they feel really blindsided and dismayed.

Oh yeah and now everyone who wants Texas to secede is all excited over here. It's been kinda funny seeing them come out of the woodwork again.
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curious_Nicole View Post
    From my understanding, and I'm no expert, is that other "strong" countries in the EU like Scandinavian and Germany could be the next to drop out. That would start to cause a run on the EU banks and the currency could become almost worthless dropping much of Europe into a economic and financial crisis the likes of the great depression. Again ... I'm far far from and expert, just voicing what I have heard.

Nah. Not Germany. But The Netherlands and Belgium are possibilities. (Scandinavia isn't a country. It's a region in Northern Europe, and not all of the countries in the era are in the EU. Iceland and Norway come to mind, and there may be a couple more.)

Things like the currency and what would happen to it depend so much on what the countries negotiate with what is left of the EU, and what the EU negotiates with them, so it's almost impossible to say. England/Britain wasn't even on the Euro. For now, the pound sterling has dropped, but that's mostly just reactionary. It makes sense the the EU will take a pretty hard line in Brexit negotiations because they want to make it a very unattractive option to other countries, so it is likely they will set fairly brutal terms for the UK (which I'm using synonymously with Britain and England, even though they aren't the same) regarding things like trade, but it's all so unknown, with so many factors now in play.

It seems very likely that Scotland will hold another referendum of their own, and this time separation may well win. One of the major concerns in the last vote, which didn't pass, was that they were afraid of what would happen if they separated and weren't allowed in to the EU. Since they are no longer in the EY anyway, and since they voted heavily for Remain, much of the worry about splitting has now been canceled out.

I'm a bit concerned that this could also reignite The Troubles. Northern Ireland may well reconsider staying with Britain, now that it is out of the EU. If they were to reunite with Ireland (Republic of), they would be back in the EU. But many of the same groups that opposed a unified Ireland during The Troubles may well still oppose it, and they could return to the bloody days of the 80s.

It's all so up in the air. It does seem like, at a minimum, Britain has some tough times ahead, but whether those times are months or a couple years, or decades, remains to be seen. It seems it would actually be much better for them if more countries drop out of the EU, because the EU would lose power and influence the smaller it got. Interesting times ahead, to be sure!
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    I say good for them. I wouldn't want to be beholden to laws and regulations made by a foreign body that I did not elect, and had no ability to get rid of. They voted, majority voted to leave. I'm not a Brit, so its not really my place to tell them what to do with their own country.
    Except we do elect them... every five years, we elect the European Parliament... and if they wanna keep trading with the EU they will still have follow regulations.

It was a stupid decision and it's scary to think of the effect this will have. I also think Scotland will hold another referendum and it's likely this time they will leave the UK since the majority voted for staying. It's a mess and I hope they actually have a plan besides screaming about leaving the EU.
  4. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Curious_Nicole View Post
    From my understanding, and I'm no expert, is that other "strong" countries in the EU like Scandinavian and Germany could be the next to drop out. That would start to cause a run on the EU banks and the currency could become almost worthless dropping much of Europe into a economic and financial crisis the likes of the great depression. Again ... I'm far far from and expert, just voicing what I have heard.
    What the fuck country is "Scandinavian"?!

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Hey now, plenty of us are NOT voting for Trump.
    and this.

life's a party, rock your body
  5. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    Except we do elect them... every five years, we elect the European Parliament... and if they wanna keep trading with the EU they will still have follow regulations.

It was a stupid decision and it's scary to think of the effect this will have. I also think Scotland will hold another referendum and it's likely this time they will leave the UK since the majority voted for staying. It's a mess and I hope they actually have a plan besides screaming about leaving the EU.
    There was a guy on the radio talking about this and saying the challenge for the Bremain side was getting that point across without people's eyes glazing over because it's way more exciting to frame it was a non-democratic body just telling them what to do. That the whole point of the EU was to be safe and boring but by nature that makes it vulnerable to demagogues and populism.

I understood what he was saying but what a frustrating position to be in. They also interviewed several Brexit supporters who seemed really surprised at how much anger was being expressed over the decision.

Oh it's also really crazy that the PM is stepping down too! I wonder who's going to replace him.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    There was a guy on the radio talking about this and saying the challenge for the Bremain side was getting that point across without people's eyes glazing over because it's way more exciting to frame it was a non-democratic body just telling them what to do. That the whole point of the EU was to be safe and boring but by nature that makes it vulnerable to demagogues and populism.

I understood what he was saying but what a frustrating position to be in. They also interviewed several Brexit supporters who seemed really surprised at how much anger was being expressed over the decision.

Oh it's also really crazy that the PM is stepping down too! I wonder who's going to replace him.
    Yeah, there really isn't anything undemocratic about the EU. We vote for the parliament and for the rest... well, we vote for parties in our countries that usually have some kind of opinion on the EU, so you also usually know what they'll end up supporting.

As for Cameron... I kinda feel like he is now reaping what he sowed... he for years ran on a platform on how terrible the EU is, promising the referendum to get elected and then turned around to say they should remain. I get why he is stepping down, but I also feel it's a bit cowardly. He has at least part in this mess.

I also have some more and stronger feelings, but it's wiser to keep them to myself Interesting times are ahead.
  7. Senior Member
    I have absolutely no opinion because I have no idea what was the pros and cons of either side. I have friends over there and I have them on either side of the vote.

I would not be surprised if Scotland considers independence again.
  8. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Hey now, plenty of us are NOT voting for Trump.
    Yea. Some of us have brains and actually use them!
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Yea. Some of us have brains and actually use them!
    There are tens of us!
  10. Junior Member
    Brit here! I voted to remain. I am heartbroken that the UK have voted to leave. Scotland will hold a referendum and I will totally support it. Last time I didn't want them to win because I felt we were stronger with Scotland (and Scotland votes more towards the left and I'm afraid how right the UK would swing if/when Scotland leaves) but now I say vote out of the UK. My mum and dad plan to move to Scotland, that's how strongly they feel about England and Wales voting to leave to EU.

I can't express my annoyance with people at the moment. So many who voted out are clueless. The conservatives put this on themselves by using the EU as a scapegoat for many of the problems they caused themselves. As others have said, EU representatives are voted in by the population but the turnout of those voting has always been pitiful .. and then they turn around and say that the representatives are self-appointed which is utter crap. Places like Wales and Cornwall have really shot themselves in the foot by voting out. These two places have received more EU funding than anywhere else in the UK, yet leave won in both. Five out of Six MP's in Cornwall supported leave yet the day the results were out they sent a plea to Westminster to make sure that they will still receive the same level of annual funding that they did from the EU ... not going to happen!

Unfortunately many people voted on issues that had nothing to do with the EU and xenophobia seems to have played a huge role. The results also showed the huge generational gap between those who wanted to remain and those who wanted to leave: 75% of 18-24 year olds wanted to remain and around 75% of those over 70 wanted to leave.

I spent a lot of yesterday in denial and I also cried. I feel as though so many opportunities have been taken from me and my son. I hate that I have been stripped of my European citizenship when I feel I am European (and I always refer to myself as British and that will be taken away from me soon too). I am embarrassed that so many of my fellow 'countrymen' voted based on racism and xenophobia. I have many friends from various European countries who now feel unwelcome in England. I hate that instead of working together the UK (or should I say England and Wales) has decided to become isolated and go it alone based on nostalgia of the 'good old days' that weren't really all that great.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast