Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Man kills sick wife because they couldn't afford her medication

1. Senior Member

Man kills sick wife because they couldn't afford her medication

Advertisements
    PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. (WPEC) - Police say an 86-year-old man shot and killed his wife because "she was in poor health and couldn't afford her medication."

Watch Live: News conference at 2:15 p.m.

William J. Hager is being held on a first-degree murder charge at the St. Lucie County Jail.

"There were medical situations, according to him, that were getting to be unbearable," said Sheriff Ken Mascara at a news conference Tuesday afternoon. "In Mr. Hager' s mind, there were no other options."

After the shooting, police said Hager called his children before calling 911.

According to the police report, Hager said, "I want to apologize I didn't call earlier. I wanted to tell my kids what happened first."

Hager told police he'd been thinking about killing his wife for several days due "to her being in pain." He said she also claimed in the past that "she wanted to die," according to police.

Hager said on Monday morning, after he used the bathroom, he grabbed a Colt .32-caliber revolver from his nightstand and shot his sleeping wife in the head.

Hager then went to the kitchen to drink coffee before calling his daughters to inform them of what he had done. Hager then called 911.

Neighbors told CBS12 the couple usually kept to themselves. Neighbors said they knew the Hagers had money issues since they moved into the community in 2001. Mr. Hager, according to neighbors, took a job at Sears to help take care of his wife, but had trouble making money.

One neighbor told CBS12's Cory Pippin no one thought Hager would do something like this and they wish they had known, because people would've helped.
    Police: Man kills wife, couldn't afford medication; informs children before calling 911 | WKRC

Pretty awful. Anyway, how do you guys feel about physician assisted suicide? I'm all for it, personally. I'm also all for prescription medications being more affordable so you don't feel that your best option is to shoot your wife in her sleep.
  2. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    I find it sickening that doctors are proud of making 350k a year by milking people dry. There is something wrong when people have to choose between food and medical care. The system is flawed. And as far as suicide and assisted suicide it is not my call to make. I know the feeling of being in so much pain physically and emotionally that I just want to die. And would be lying if I said I never had a suicidal thought. If someone doesnt want to live, what gives me the right to say that they have to?
  3. Senior Member
    This is why we need privatized medicine. It would allow competition and prices would decrease. A man running for Senate here in Oregon wants to get that started in our state and I'm all for it. Also physician assisted suicide is legal here in Oregon through the Death with Dignity act. There was a pretty popular story I think a year ago, maybe two, about a young woman who moved to Oregon to be able to commit suicide. I support it because I think people should have that right, but I think there needs to be an extensive process of educating them on different outlets and methods they could try and making sure that it is truly what they want and not a rash decision made in pain
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Doctors pay is not related to cost of medications.
    Shooting your elderly wife in the head is not really the act of a mentally healthy choice.
    I am guessing this had more to do with HIM not being able to bear with her in pain, rather than her choice.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Doctors pay is not related to cost of medications.
    Shooting your elderly wife in the head is not really the act of a mentally healthy choice.
    I am guessing this had more to do with HIM not being able to bear with her in pain, rather than her choice.
    Yeaaaaah I'm not really sure how to feel about this. My kneejerk reaction is to feel really sad for him that he thought that was the answer, but he didn't ask anybody for help? Like, he really didn't see ANY other options? I know there's the issue of pride when it comes to taking handouts, but their children couldn't have helped?
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Yeaaaaah I'm not really sure how to feel about this. My kneejerk reaction is to feel really sad for him that he thought that was the answer, but he didn't ask anybody for help? Like, he really didn't see ANY other options? I know there's the issue of pride when it comes to taking handouts, but their children couldn't have helped?
    I agree with all of this.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Icryinbaseball View Post
    I find it sickening that doctors are proud of making 350k a year by milking people dry. There is something wrong when people have to choose between food and medical care. The system is flawed. And as far as suicide and assisted suicide it is not my call to make. I know the feeling of being in so much pain physically and emotionally that I just want to die. And would be lying if I said I never had a suicidal thought. If someone doesnt want to live, what gives me the right to say that they have to?
    Most doctors aren't making that, especially not after paying massive student loans and malpractice insurance.

I agree with Asher. In theory, I am hugely in favor of allowing people the option of doctor assisted suicide for mentally competent people. This is something entirely different. This man shot his wife in the head, then had coffee. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be any way to even confirm this was her choice. She didn't write a note or speak her wishes to her children (unless more info comes out later, as it often does). We (and the justice system) can't simply take the word of her killer that she wanted to be killed. Perhaps it was more about him not being able to stand her pain, or even about him simply not wanting to use their limited finances on her anymore. We can't know. That's the problem with this sort of thing. For now at least, all we have is the word of a man who killed his wife, in which, for obvious reasons, we can't put much trust.

If doctor-assisted suicide had been an option, her wishes could have been clearly expressed and documented. Instead, we have a killer who claims that he was just doing what she wanted. I'm not sure an 86 year old man should be put in prison, but nor should he simply be let off the hook, either.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina22LE View Post
    This is why we need privatized medicine. It would allow competition and prices would decrease. A man running for Senate here in Oregon wants to get that started in our state and I'm all for it. Also physician assisted suicide is legal here in Oregon through the Death with Dignity act. There was a pretty popular story I think a year ago, maybe two, about a young woman who moved to Oregon to be able to commit suicide. I support it because I think people should have that right, but I think there needs to be an extensive process of educating them on different outlets and methods they could try and making sure that it is truly what they want and not a rash decision made in pain
    We have the complete opposite of private healthcare here in Germany and a lot of medication is subsidized and cheap... co-pays tend to be really low. So not sure private healthcare is really what is gonna make prices come down.

Healthcare should be affordable for everyone and if you can't pay for it cause you're unemployed, the government should step in. It's the kind of system we have and for the most part, it works well enough and doesn't bankrupt anyone.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I'm definitely pro physician assisted suicide. Perhaps this wouldn't have ended in such tragedy for the family if that option had been a viable option for her. Regardless, people should have the choice in certain circumstances.

I Eelizah
  10. Senior Member
    lol Am I the only cynical asshole who has doubts this was what the wife wanted? I guess I'm more jaded than I realized!
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast