Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Man kills sick wife because they couldn't afford her medication

1. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Advertisements
    IDK.. this is one of those 'what would you do if you were in his shoes' situations..

Am I for assisted suicide.. not sure how to answer, I'm not against it, but its more, if that's what the family feels is right, then who am I to judge.

About this guy.. not sure what to think.. Do I think his wife didn't want to be in pain and would rather be dead then suffer pain? Yes.. I think that is true.. I think she truly did want to die and be at peace rather than in pain. Do I think her intent was to be shot, no.. but how else is he to help her die? Just let her wallow away in misery pain (what she didn't want), or make it quick (like a gun)? What is the better option.. is it overdose on pills, is it choking, smothering.. what.. what exact kind of 'death' or 'killing' could this man do?
    We don't know their personal business.. maybe she did tell him she wanted to die.. maybe it was one time during a painful bought.. but it may have still been said. Is it fair to him to watch his wife suffer in pain, when he may have likely known all along their entire marriage that she didn't want that suffering? we really don't know..

We also don't know if he did try other measures.. the article doesn't state that he did or didn't.. maybe he felt this was his only option after exhausting all others.

I know I've told my husband if I ever get ill I do not want to suffer or be in any kind of continuous pain.. however he feels he needs to resolve that for me is his choice.

But again, going back to the question of assisted suicide.. its not my business, if that's what they want, so be it.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    IDK.. this is one of those 'what would you do if you were in his shoes' situations..

Am I for assisted suicide.. not sure how to answer, I'm not against it, but its more, if that's what the family feels is right, then who am I to judge.

About this guy.. not sure what to think.. Do I think his wife didn't want to be in pain and would rather be dead then suffer pain? Yes.. I think that is true.. I think she truly did want to die and be at peace rather than in pain. Do I think her intent was to be shot, no.. but how else is he to help her die? Just let her wallow away in misery pain (what she didn't want), or make it quick (like a gun)? What is the better option.. is it overdose on pills, is it choking, smothering.. what.. what exact kind of 'death' or 'killing' could this man do?
    We don't know their personal business.. maybe she did tell him she wanted to die.. maybe it was one time during a painful bought.. but it may have still been said. Is it fair to him to watch his wife suffer in pain, when he may have likely known all along their entire marriage that she didn't want that suffering? we really don't know..

We also don't know if he did try other measures.. the article doesn't state that he did or didn't.. maybe he felt this was his only option after exhausting all others.

I know I've told my husband if I ever get ill I do not want to suffer or be in any kind of continuous pain.. however he feels he needs to resolve that for me is his choice.

But again, going back to the question of assisted suicide.. its not my business, if that's what they want, so be it.
    I feel fairly confident that one thing I would not do is shoot my partner in the head, and then go have a cup of coffee, especially if I hadn't run that plan by said partner.

If he said to her, "Honey, I love you so much and you've said you don't want this anymore, so I'm willing to help you. How about I shoot you in the face today?" and she said, "Yes, please. That would be a kindness", then so be it, though he's still a complete moron (or mentally incompetent or ill, which could be a factor here) for not getting that in writing, not having her express that wish and plan to someone else, or something, because all the world can see now is a woman dead by his hand. But it sounds like he did it without her knowledge ahead of time or her permission/consent. So even if well-intentioned, it was murder.

When I took care of my grandmother in her final months, which were filled with all kinds of unpleasantness, indignities, and pain, she said many times that she was ready to die, that she wished she could be with my grandpa already, and more. That in no way means she wanted someone to kill her. This woman didn't ask her husband to kill her. She made no specific request at all, from the sounds of it, at any point in time. Expressing a wish, at some point in the past, to die, is not at all the same thing as requesting help with a specific suicide attempt. The man murdered his wife. He may well have done it out of misguided sympathy (or out of greed or frustration or something else, too), but he murdered her. She didn't choose this death, or even death specifically, really. I don't see how that's anything but murder. Perhaps there was no malice aforethought, if we are to believe the explanation of motive given my her killer (and of course he's going to say he meant well, whether he did or not!), but it was the taking of someone else's life, and without their consent even. Murder.

My husband knows that I'm firmly in the "pull the plug camp", if it comes to that. I hope he never has to face that, and I hope he's strong enough if he does. And I can see a point where I was prepared to end my life. I'd do it myself, if at all possible (can you swallow a pill or hold a gun?) in order to shield my loved ones from suspicion while they are also dealign with grief. But if I couldn't, I absolutely would do everything I could to leave behind proof in many forms that I was making a clear choice. A video tape, stating my choice and my plan shortly before it was executed, emailed to multiple people, would be a good start.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Senior Member
    Uh, I probably jokingly say "kill me" like daily. That does not give someone permission to put a fucking gun to my head in my sleep and murder me.
  4. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Something similar happened in our local area a few years back. The wife in that case actually did beg her husband to do it.

I'm totally for assisted suicide. I know for a fact that I want that as an option personally and I would want it for my loved ones as well.

It would be absolutely heartbreaking to have to ask your SO to kill you because you couldn't get help from a physician. It is also heartbreaking if this man decided to do it without her consent.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post

Just as a point of interest, it is almost impossible to overdose on non-prescription pills anymore.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Just as a point of interest, it is almost impossible to overdose on non-prescription pills anymore.
    How do you figure?
  7. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Most, yes, but NSAIDS and acetominophen can be deadly.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Most, yes, but NSAIDS and acetominophen can be deadly.
    Yeah, Tylenol especially. Like tens of thousands of people every year OD bad enough to require hospitalization and hundreds die. In my 6 months in the ICU I've seen at least one bad aspirin overdose that required intubation. That lady very seriously almost died from an accidental aspirin overdose. And it's not like I see a lot of tox patients since that's not the ICU I work in.
  9. Senior Member
    Damn how much aspirin would one have to take to end up in the hospital?
  10. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Damn how much aspirin would one have to take to end up in the hospital?
    Thats very individual dependent. For some people, doubling the dose can kill them (rare), but the more you take/more often you take, the risk for stomach ulcers that perforate, liver and kidney failure, bleeding out etc.. goes up. NSAIDS can be scary.
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast