Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 111

Thread: Man kills sick wife because they couldn't afford her medication

  1. we were all rooting for you
    KittenMittens's Avatar
    KittenMittens is offline
    we were all rooting for you
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    6,675
    #11
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
    I'm definitely pro physician assisted suicide. Perhaps this wouldn't have ended in such tragedy for the family if that option had been a viable option for her. Regardless, people should have the choice in certain circumstances.
    Yep, all of this. I see no problem with physician assisted suicide; it gives people the dignity and respect they deserve often in a time where their disease/condition doesn't give them any.
  2. Senior Member
    Heisenberg's Avatar
    Heisenberg is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    16,413
    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    lol Am I the only cynical asshole who has doubts this was what the wife wanted? I guess I'm more jaded than I realized!
    I don't doubt at all that she said things like "wow kill me" but I'm on the fence about whether she ever said "shoot me in my sleep"
  3. Senior Member
    TriggerHappy's Avatar
    TriggerHappy is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,570
    #13
    In her sleep though? Was there any evidence she wanted this?

    I'm for assisted suicide, but I suppose that depends on the person's circumstances and I would require a few variables to make sure this is 100% something they wanted to do (mental illness can be tricky, so I would add therapy as a necessity before going through that route; otherwise, a painful disease I would consider, also even those who have a compromised quality of life)
  4. Senior Member
    Andie's Avatar
    Andie is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,747
    #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Icryinbaseball View Post
    I find it sickening that doctors are proud of making 350k a year by milking people dry. There is something wrong when people have to choose between food and medical care. The system is flawed. And as far as suicide and assisted suicide it is not my call to make. I know the feeling of being in so much pain physically and emotionally that I just want to die. And would be lying if I said I never had a suicidal thought. If someone doesnt want to live, what gives me the right to say that they have to?
    Excuse you? Doctors aren't milking people dry. I'm not saying no doctor ever hasn't but I am saying that as a group physicians 1) do not make that much money and 2) aren't responsible for the cost of medicine or services. Yeah, the system is majorly fucked up. No denying but doctors get screwed over by this system to. You are way off base & laying the problem at the wrong door step. Every doctor I know & work with gives a shit about their patients and will fight with insurance companies, the hospital system tirelessly while working 7+ days straight to get all people the care that they need. If you've only been on the patient side you may not see it as I do, but trust me. It isn't "the doctors." It's the CEOs of pharmaceutical companies and hospitals and insurance agencies that are bleeding the rest of us dry.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina22LE View Post
    This is why we need privatized medicine. It would allow competition and prices would decrease. A man running for Senate here in Oregon wants to get that started in our state and I'm all for it. Also physician assisted suicide is legal here in Oregon through the Death with Dignity act. There was a pretty popular story I think a year ago, maybe two, about a young woman who moved to Oregon to be able to commit suicide. I support it because I think people should have that right, but I think there needs to be an extensive process of educating them on different outlets and methods they could try and making sure that it is truly what they want and not a rash decision made in pain
    Uh? Correct me if I'm wrong but we mostly do have privatized healthcare? And it's a fucking mess.

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Yeaaaaah I'm not really sure how to feel about this. My kneejerk reaction is to feel really sad for him that he thought that was the answer, but he didn't ask anybody for help? Like, he really didn't see ANY other options? I know there's the issue of pride when it comes to taking handouts, but their children couldn't have helped?
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    We have the complete opposite of private healthcare here in Germany and a lot of medication is subsidized and cheap... co-pays tend to be really low. So not sure private healthcare is really what is gonna make prices come down.

    Healthcare should be affordable for everyone and if you can't pay for it cause you're unemployed, the government should step in. It's the kind of system we have and for the most part, it works well enough and doesn't bankrupt anyone.
    Yup!

    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    lol Am I the only cynical asshole who has doubts this was what the wife wanted? I guess I'm more jaded than I realized!
    No. I'm pretty skeptical too, without knowing more about the wife's condition and the roads they had exhausted. Like, goddamn drop her off at a hospital and peace out. If she's really that sick, she's got Medicare, man. They'll figure it out & stick her in a nursing home if she truly needs 24/7 care and he can't provide. Hell.
  5. In vino veritas
    Dr.VinoVet's Avatar
    Dr.VinoVet is offline
    In vino veritas
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    14,850
    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Icryinbaseball View Post
    I find it sickening that doctors are proud of making 350k a year by milking people dry. There is something wrong when people have to choose between food and medical care. The system is flawed. And as far as suicide and assisted suicide it is not my call to make. I know the feeling of being in so much pain physically and emotionally that I just want to die. And would be lying if I said I never had a suicidal thought. If someone doesnt want to live, what gives me the right to say that they have to?
    ROFL- you might wanna check your facts REAL fast.

    Avg doctor salary in the US is around 200k. 75k goes to malpractice insurance. 25k to student loans, making a doctor take home salary of around 100k (depending on type of doctor and location this can vary quite a bit, but lets remember...), for a job where they diagnose, treat and save lives. Lets not minimize what they do.

    You wanna blame someone. Look in a mirror. The sue-happy American culture drives up insurance costs for doctors to ridiculous amounts.

    ---------------------

    As for this, my guess is the woman talked about how much she wanted to die, and he went a bit crazy and made it happen. I think PAS should absolutely be a thing. I have no idea why, in this day and age, I can end the suffering of a painful, slowly dying animal, but we have to have grandma in hospice for months where pain meds barely touch the pain of the cancer rotting within her and her meds make her sick to her stomach until she wastes away because thats all doctors can legally do at this point.
  6. Senior Member
    Andie's Avatar
    Andie is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,747
    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    ROFL- you might wanna check your facts REAL fast.

    Avg doctor salary in the US is around 200k. 75k goes to malpractice insurance. 25k to student loans, making a doctor take home salary of around 100k (depending on type of doctor and location this can vary quite a bit, but lets remember...), for a job where they diagnose, treat and save lives. Lets not minimize what they do.

    You wanna blame someone. Look in a mirror. The sue-happy American culture drives up insurance costs for doctors to ridiculous amounts.

    ---------------------

    As for this, my guess is the woman talked about how much she wanted to die, and he went a bit crazy and made it happen. I think PAS should absolutely be a thing. I have no idea why, in this day and age, I can end the suffering of a painful, slowly dying animal, but we have to have grandma in hospice for months where pain meds barely touch the pain of the cancer rotting within her and her meds make her sick to her stomach until she wastes away because thats all doctors can legally do at this point.
    To be fair, I think it's the population of people who would opt for/qualify for PAS is fairly small. See: The many pts we keep "alive" in the ICU all over the country because family isn't ready to let them go. It doesn't matter that it's futile, doesn't matter that off the vent and off the meds and other things we are doing to support them they would pass peacefully in minutes. Doesn't even matter if the patient was previously DNR. We'll keep them alive for extra day / weeks / months until they end their last few minutes having their chest continuously crushed as we attempt CPR & attempt to squeeze a few more days out of their "life."
  7. In vino veritas
    Dr.VinoVet's Avatar
    Dr.VinoVet is offline
    In vino veritas
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    14,850
    #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    To be fair, I think it's the population of people who would opt for/qualify for PAS is fairly small. See: The many pts we keep "alive" in the ICU all over the country because family isn't ready to let them go. It doesn't matter that it's futile, doesn't matter that off the vent and off the meds and other things we are doing to support them they would pass peacefully in minutes. Doesn't even matter if the patient was previously DNR. We'll keep them alive for extra day / weeks / months until they end their last few minutes having their chest continuously crushed as we attempt CPR & attempt to squeeze a few more days out of their "life."
    And that is where law and medicine get fucked up. If a person wishes to be DNR/not have certain meds used/not have certain proceedures done, then it shouldnt happen, but doctors get tied because of legalities. Its sick.
  8. Regular Member
    Dell82's Avatar
    Dell82 is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    90
    #18
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    lol Am I the only cynical asshole who has doubts this was what the wife wanted? I guess I'm more jaded than I realized!
    Jaded? Nah. Or I'm a cynical asshole too. And jaded. I mean, practically speaking, it JUST seems to me that there are WAY more efficient ways of having someone end your life for you. I mean, sure - she's not going to be cleaning anything up. But someone is. I just don't see how that conversation would go. Maybe....but I lean towards the wife being shot just being the final event in a long history of shitty events. But who knows. Maybe I'm behind the times and it's now super easy to shoot someone to just end it all.
  9. Senior Member
    Andie's Avatar
    Andie is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,747
    #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    And that is where law and medicine get fucked up. If a person wishes to be DNR/not have certain meds used/not have certain proceedures done, then it shouldnt happen, but doctors get tied because of legalities. Its sick.
    Yeah, it's really shitty when family revokes DNR order in these patients that are like end stage chronic illnesses who have continuously told us NO to intubation and then when their mentation declines family says tube them & make them full code. Like this is clearly something they had thought about & even when they were aware this was the end and struggling and still in the face of that saying no, but family disagrees so the moment they can't make decisions any more that all goes out the window. I think if someone has made themselves a DNR with the proper paperwork etc we shouldn't throw that out the window like that. I don't understand why legally things are that way except, yknow, the living family is the one who if you don't do what they say will sue you.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    Katyp's Avatar
    Katyp is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The 'burbs of Motor City, MI
    Posts
    6,253

    #20
    So in the article linked it says that "in the past she said she wanted to die". And in the cnn article linked below it says that per the husband the wife never asked him to kill her.
    Police: Man killed wife because he couldn't afford medications - CNN.com

    I really don't think the biggest issue here is the benefits of legalized physician assisted suicide. Drugs are expensive, no doubt. But who the hell murders someone over their healthcare costs by shooting them in the head and then pouring themselves a cup of coffee.
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •