Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Turkey dependent evac :(

1. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

Advertisements
    I don't follow the news or anything but why exactly are they doing this?
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    Then they made a shitty plan? I'm sure there are back ups to the back ups when your children are involved. We have two sets of friends that are dual and both have been deployed/extended TDY at the same time. Their children go home to their grandparents house. It's shitty, and I know for one set of the couples once their children hit school age she plans to get out, but it's not uncommon in their career fields.
    Really is shitty. I'm thankful I have never been put in that position. Of course, that's why I would never considered a military life for myself
    Last edited by Curious_Nicole; 03-29-2016 at 03:36 PM. Reason: typo
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curious_Nicole View Post
    And what happens if these "arrangements" fall through ? There has to be some contingency plan
    Mostly, that's on the service member. In fact, in some situations they can get in some trouble if they don't have a reliable family care plan. It sounds cold, but part of the job is the military being able to say, "you are leaving tomorrow". If they can't do that, the service member loses some of his or her usefulness to the military.They need someone they can use fully, not someone who can only deployed June-August because that's when his mother, a school teacher, is available to take the kids, oh but not July 1-10 because mom will be traveling then. Part of the job means basically being always available for whatever. I understand that for people with kids, that's not always easy, and I can't imagine how hard it would be to stay in Turkey and send your kids to the US for a year. That's so sad and I'm sure very painful. And I'm sure it's something that causes a lot of people to eventually get out of the military if they are a single parent or dual military.

When you submit your plan, you are responsible for making sure it is viable. You can't just say, "my mom would probably take the kids". You need to confirm with your mom and talk through the logistics. If your mom becomes chronically ill or for some other reason unable to care for your kids long term, you need to come up with another plan. Not having a family care plan is potentially reason for discharge, because the military needs to be able to rely on you. What do they do if a call comes down that a unit is deploying in a week and a service member suddenly says, "turns out mom can't take Timmy"? Well, that will depend a lot on the circumstances, but the SM would likely be in some trouble for that (barring extenuating circumstances). They could be delayed a short while while they come up with another plan, but if that doesn't work, they could be separated. There may be other options, but I don't know offhand what they would be.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

And what happens if these "arrangements" fall through ? There has to be some contingency plan
    It is not the military's job to worry about families. After I had a seizure and couldn't drive for 6 months dh had to come up with a family plan to present to the command on how i was going to be getting around and cared for while he was deployed. If he couldn't provide one or it fell through he would get kicked out.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    This is sad to see.

We were part of a plan with a single parents to be the caregivers if she deployed or need to travel. Happened many times. We would do it again in a heart beat to help out.

You have to have your "t" crossed and your "i" dotted.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by airmanssweetie View Post
    I don't follow the news or anything but why exactly are they doing this?
    This is just me guessing, but I'd assume it's because of all the recent bombings in Turkey and things are not exactly calming down.
  7. Senior Member
    It's children and spouses. It now becomes a deployment not an accompanied tour.
    A deployment or just an unaccompanied tour? The reports actually say there has been no decision to make it even an unaccompanied tour permanently but the possibility exists that it will become a 1 year remote type assignment.
  8. Senior Member
    It's children and spouses. It now becomes a deployment not an accompanied tour.
    Nope. Neither Not a deployment. It is *sort of* an unaccompanied tour in that it will look kind of like an unaccompanied tour as far as benefits, though it is not officially unaccompanied (yet, though that could change). For now, it is an evacuation. That's it. That means they will pay for the families' transportation and housing in the US, and they should pay family sep pay as well. But for now, it is neither an unaccompanied tour, nor a deployment. If the situation doesn't stabilize, at some point they may change it to an unaccompanied tour for those just arriving. (This is addressed in Sushi's article.) What happens to the people already there is a gray area for now. Would their orders be decreased to a year from the day the decision is made? Maybe. At that point, the people arriving would likely be on 1 year unaccompanied orders, according to the article.

For right now, the orders have not changed, and it's an evacuation, not a deployment or an unaccompanied tour.

I certainly hope that some of the lessons learned from the absolute debacle that was the Japan evacuation have been applied here, and that it goes relatively smoothly for the families. During an already amazing difficult time, having this evacuation bungled only adds to stress and confusion. I noticed they mentioned the pets being evacuated, which was a major issue in Japan and hopefully that mess will help these families.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Mostly, that's on the service member. In fact, in some situations they can get in some trouble if they don't have a reliable family care plan. It sounds cold, but part of the job is the military being able to say, "you are leaving tomorrow". If they can't do that, the service member loses some of his or her usefulness to the military.They need someone they can use fully, not someone who can only deployed June-August because that's when his mother, a school teacher, is available to take the kids, oh but not July 1-10 because mom will be traveling then. Part of the job means basically being always available for whatever. I understand that for people with kids, that's not always easy, and I can't imagine how hard it would be to stay in Turkey and send your kids to the US for a year. That's so sad and I'm sure very painful. And I'm sure it's something that causes a lot of people to eventually get out of the military if they are a single parent or dual military.

When you submit your plan, you are responsible for making sure it is viable. You can't just say, "my mom would probably take the kids". You need to confirm with your mom and talk through the logistics. If your mom becomes chronically ill or for some other reason unable to care for your kids long term, you need to come up with another plan. Not having a family care plan is potentially reason for discharge, because the military needs to be able to rely on you. What do they do if a call comes down that a unit is deploying in a week and a service member suddenly says, "turns out mom can't take Timmy"? Well, that will depend a lot on the circumstances, but the SM would likely be in some trouble for that (barring extenuating circumstances). They could be delayed a short while while they come up with another plan, but if that doesn't work, they could be separated. There may be other options, but I don't know offhand what they would be.

I totally understand, all too well, about being available for whatever. I just can't imagine packing up my kids and sending them home. It's very sad
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Nope. Neither Not a deployment. It is *sort of* an unaccompanied tour in that it will look kind of like an unaccompanied tour as far as benefits, though it is not officially unaccompanied (yet, though that could change). For now, it is an evacuation. That's it. That means they will pay for the families' transportation and housing in the US, and they should pay family sep pay as well. But for now, it is neither an unaccompanied tour, nor a deployment. If the situation doesn't stabilize, at some point they may change it to an unaccompanied tour for those just arriving. (This is addressed in Sushi's article.) What happens to the people already there is a gray area for now. Would their orders be decreased to a year from the day the decision is made? Maybe. At that point, the people arriving would likely be on 1 year unaccompanied orders, according to the article.

For right now, the orders have not changed, and it's an evacuation, not a deployment or an unaccompanied tour.

I certainly hope that some of the lessons learned from the absolute debacle that was the Japan evacuation have been applied here, and that it goes relatively smoothly for the families. During an already amazing difficult time, having this evacuation bungled only adds to stress and confusion. I noticed they mentioned the pets being evacuated, which was a major issue in Japan and hopefully that mess will help these families.
    It really is a mess. My prayers for them. It's sad because I have known and know quite a few people in Incirlik and they loved it.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast