Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Wounded Warrior project exec's fired over spending irregularities

1. Senior Member

Wounded Warrior project exec's fired over spending irregularities

Advertisements
  2. Regular Member
    It's about time they did something. My husband & I were FURIOUS when we found out a few months ago that only a small percentage of their donations actually goes where we thought it did. We donated every month.
  3. Senior Member
    Good. They are a horrible horrible charity and I am ashamed of how many people support them.
  4. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    GOOD.

In the future, for anyone who may not be aware: GuideStar and Charity Navigator are two free, wonderful resources you can use before you donate to any non-profit. You can view their IRS forms, including their 990s (where you can see salaries, cash flow, etc.). I HIGHLY recommend thoroughly vetting a nonprofit before you donate!
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    GOOD.

In the future, for anyone who may not be aware: GuideStar and Charity Navigator are two free, wonderful resources you can use before you donate to any non-profit. You can view their IRS forms, including their 990s (where you can see salaries, cash flow, etc.). I HIGHLY recommend thoroughly vetting a nonprofit before you donate!
    True, but I just want to add that not all nonprofits are listed at these sites. The dog rescue I volunteer with is not listed on Charity Navigator and the 990s on file at GuideStar are 7 years old. The rescue has been around since the 1990's, so it is not a new nonprofit.
  6. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    True, but I just want to add that not all nonprofits are listed at these sites. The dog rescue I volunteer with is not listed on Charity Navigator and the 990s on file at GuideStar are 7 years old. The rescue has been around since the 1990's, so it is not a new nonprofit.
    True. I should add that all nonprofits (with the exception of churches/religious orgs) are legally obliged to provide you with three years of recent IRS Form 990 upon request as well as letters of determination, though!

ETA you can also check your Secretary of State website to see solicitors/companies that collect monies on behalf of charities and how much actually goes to the organizational vs. the solicitor. Another reminder to not go through third-party sites and agencies!
  7. Senior Member
    Here is one way I determine if money is well used. If they use stars to hawk their charity, they waste their donations.
  8. One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    One does not simply Ewok into Endor

<3 Anthiea <3 KittenMittens <3