Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: Your thoughts about this?

1. Regular Member
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    I know bringing glass to the beach is a no-no, but they won't even let you bring beers in cans?
    Quote Originally Posted by irish85 View Post
    They really won't bother you if its in a cup and youre not too rowdy. I have never had anyone check my beach bag.
    Yeah it really depends on which beach you're at I guess, and it's sometimes different day-to-day. I've been there before where they took the beer from our cooler right on the boardwalk before we even got on the beach. I've also been there were we made it on the beach just fine and never got caught As long as you're not calling attention to yourself, most of the time it's fine.
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkles View Post
    In MN I buy state park passes and when I lived in Duluth we had an extensive trail system within the city that was maintained mostly by volunteers. I don't have a problem paying for state park passes because the trails need to be maintained, the buildings need to be maintained, most of them have awesome naturalists on staff during the summer and do multiple educational talks/hikes daily, there are historic buildings that need to be preserved etc. I guess that they could just raise taxes but maybe this is one way of making people pay for the treasures they want to enjoy.

I've never been to New Jersey beaches so I was wondering if people respect them and leave no trace, Wisconsin Point on Lake Superior is a beautiful free beach but I have seen people absolutely trash it with all night bonfires and parties...maybe charging and entrance fee would make people feel more invested and therefore less likely to leave garbage.
    Eh honestly I didn't even know other places didn't charge to get on the beach. So for people who grew up paying to go to the beach they don't know any better and don't always see it like they are paying so respect it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jillybean88 View Post
    Yeah it really depends on which beach you're at I guess, and it's sometimes different day-to-day. I've been there before where they took the beer from our cooler right on the boardwalk before we even got on the beach. I've also been there were we made it on the beach just fine and never got caught As long as you're not calling attention to yourself, most of the time it's fine.
    def. Depends on the day. I have had both happen to me also!
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jillybean88 View Post
    That is exactly what it is There is a fence on the beach-side of the board walk and there are ticket booths every hundred feet or so. They sometimes check your coolers to make sure you're not bringing alcohol, you pay, they give you a wristband, and you're on your way.

I believe it's $7 on the weekdays and $8 on the weekends. Almost every hotel/motel will give you beach passes though, if you're staying there so you either get in free or at least a bit of a discount. I think they stop charging at 4pm.

And a lot of parks/hiking trails around here charge a small "parking fee" to get in.
    Wait a minute. You have to pay to go to the beach AND they confiscate your alcohol?!?!?! what are you supposed to do at the beach without alcohol?!

I grew up in NC where the beaches are free and alcohol is perfectly fine. I couldn't imagine having to pay for the beach and not be allowed to bring out a cooler. That pretty much kills the point of going to the beach for me

The town I grew up in had pretty high local taxes and that money went to maintaining the greenways. Pretty much all of the neighborhoods connected to the greenways (trails) which were nice wide paved trails that ran in the woods between the various neighborhoods and went to the parks and lakes in the town. It was great growing up because I could ride my bike on the greenway to my friends' houses and then we could bike down to the lake or over to another friend's house all without having to go up on the main streets. It encourages people to be outside more, to go for walks or to ride their bikes, and to live more active lifestyles. All of the parks are very well maintained with nice new playgrounds for kids and even some climbing rocks as well. I couldn't imagine having to actually pay to use those facilities. But that is because I grew up not having to pay for them.

It is the same with recycling. The town I grew up with included recycling in the taxes so you didn't have to pay to go drop stuff off at the dump or recycling center. It was already paid for with your taxes. Where we live now you have to pay like $50 to take stuff to the dump. Its no wonder illegal dumping is such a big problem.
  4. Senior Member
    You're not allowed to drink on the beaches here either but nobody enforces it. I never go to beaches with lifeguards and it's not like anybody is patrolling. As long as you clean up after yourself I don't think anybody cares, I've walked right past cops with beer cans and no one has ever said anything about it.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456