Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts about this?

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Keep in mind that all Christie did was sign the bill (and possibly work behind the scenes to rally votes). It's not really when "he's working on"; it's what the NJ legislature is working on.

I don't really care one way or the other. It's a well-intended gesture, I guess. But I also think that passing a bill like this, assuming it has a lot of support, takes very little time, and doesn't really take away from time that could be spent on other, more important things.

I guess I'm cynical, but I see it all as political posturing, so that everyone sponsoring the bill, and then those co-sponsoring and voting for it, can all get their pro-military, pro-America, Rah rah rah cards punched. It's a political ad, and nothing more. But since I don't think it does any real damage, it's hard for me to care.
    This (of course)
    And it's not like they can't work on multiple things at once!
    "Nope, can't do world peace, all our resources are on free beaches"
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  2. Senior Member
    I don't know what's more odd--charging people to use the beach, or allowing people to drive their cars onto the beach. Both were a real shock to this CA girl!
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HisJuliet View Post
    You have to pay to use public beaches in NJ?
    for NY beaches also.

Eta: I am not sure about all beaches, but after 4pm its free to get onto Jones Beach.
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  4. Senior Member
    How do they even enforce that? Is there a giant fence, with only a couple ticket booth openings or something?
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  5. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

That blows my mind. Here the beach is free. I drive out on the beach I most typically frequent.
  6. Regular Member
    To those who don't pay for beaches YES its a shocker. When I was in college I worked at a overnight camp in PA and we wanted to go to the beach for a day on our days off so we went and all the sudden we had to pay. We were all in shock. I'll stick to my NC beaches that I have loved since I was a kid.
  7. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Wow. paying for a beach.. that's different..
    Here in VA they are free, MD too..
    Had no idea you had to pay to get on a public beach in NJ or NY..

I would demand they make the beaches free for everyone, not just military.

ETA.. I also see this as an economic boost.. I have seen articles about how the NJ beaches are suffering due to lack of people visiting. If I had to pay, I'd rarely (if ever) go. Many military paying for a beach is an expense they may not be able to afford, or afford very often. So, if allowing them to go for free boosts tourism, or attendance, then why not be all for it?

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    How do they even enforce that? Is there a giant fence, with only a couple ticket booth openings or something?
    Again I don' know about every beach. But at Jones beach they have big toll booths you can't avoid. They charge you there. So I assume NJ is the same and they would just take the military ID. They also have a person checking for beach passes if you walk on.
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  9. Senior Member
    Yes you have to pay for NJ beaches. There are fences and at the access points there are booths. You are given a wrist band so that you can go to the bathroom or get food then go back on the beach without having to pay again. It's how they pay for the lifeguards.

I'm a very indifferent, indecisive person. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, cause it's in no way bad. I just have two different view points on this. Sure Christie just signed the bill, but I think there are better ways of helping military families. Like when you think of military families getting discounts, benefits, assistance, etc. you don't think it will be with the beach. But I also did not know that Jersey and New York are like the only states that charge for beaches. I've only been to Myrtle Beach outside of Jersey. So now that I know that every other state does not charge for beach access, it makes sense to me. I can see why this is something they thought was important to do.
  10. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Making it free access isn't much different than the federal government making national parks free for military members and their dependents.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast