Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Father chooses son over wife after ultimatum

1. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you

Father chooses son over wife after ultimatum

Advertisements
    Dad Refuses to Give Up Newborn Son With Down Syndrome - ABC News

I think he 100% made the right choice. I hope he gets to take Leo back home to New Zealand.
  2. Senior Member
    Yup. Hell if you're gonna make me choose between my blood, my baby and you...bye.
  3. we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by Candice. View Post
    Yup. Hell if you're gonna make me choose between my blood, my baby and you...bye.
    Right?! Even worse..what about this poor child? When he grows up and learns the reason his mother isn't in the picture?
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I think it may be better to grow up without a mother, than with a mother who doesn't love him.

I Eelizah
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I can't get over how she made this decision without even consulting him . They are both better off without her.

~Art Page~
    Germy = wifey
  6. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Rather than judging her I have to wonder how much of her culture came into play in this decision. The fact that they didn't know about the baby having Downs until he was born makes me question the quality of prenatal care offered where they are at as well. The 20-ish week ultrasound, contrary to the belief of many, is NOT to check the sex of the fetus, but to check for abnormalities. If they don't have decent health care then I can't imagine there would be services or anything to aid those that are disabled or parents of disabled children. As much as everyone wants to go on about they will love their children no matter what and would never terminate or put up for adoption or whatever I can not and WILL not judge someone who does not feel the same way. The mom made the decision that a child with downs was not something she was prepared for or willing to take on and as crass as it may seem to some, that is her choice.
  7. i request the highest of fives!
    i request the highest of fives!
    i think it's great that the dad wants to raise him, although i agree with BLT. however, if i see one more person making this a pro-life argument, i will lose my shit.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I was researching this and in Armenian, it is an embarrasment to have a child with a disability. This man took a great risk on taking a child that wasn't perfect.

According to Counterpart International Parents with children are encouraged to take them to orphanages to be left there. They aren't wanted.

According to the Go Fund me website, "His Armenian mother and her family abandoned him at birth. His father, a New Zealander, was no longer welcome in the family home because he wanted to 'keep' Leo. The mother refused to even look at or touch the newborn for fear of getting attached in a society where defects are not accepted, often bringing shame on the family involved."

This took a lot of guts and I'm happy that he went against what is socially acceptable to save this child.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  9. Occasional lurker
    Occasional lurker
    I think the most cold part is the mother filing for divorce AND trying to give up their son without making any attempt at communication with the father! I say I'd love my child no matter what, and I would, but I can only imagine the challenges. I'll give the mother benefit of the doubt on her abilility to emotionally or financially care for a special needs child. But divorcing your husband for loving the life you created? That was never true, unconditional love.

10. we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by BraveLilToaster View Post
    Rather than judging her I have to wonder how much of her culture came into play in this decision. The fact that they didn't know about the baby having Downs until he was born makes me question the quality of prenatal care offered where they are at as well. The 20-ish week ultrasound, contrary to the belief of many, is NOT to check the sex of the fetus, but to check for abnormalities. If they don't have decent health care then I can't imagine there would be services or anything to aid those that are disabled or parents of disabled children. As much as everyone wants to go on about they will love their children no matter what and would never terminate or put up for adoption or whatever I can not and WILL not judge someone who does not feel the same way. The mom made the decision that a child with downs was not something she was prepared for or willing to take on and as crass as it may seem to some, that is her choice.
    I did think of the bolded as I was reading the story. I know here that most parents would know at the 20-week mark, just like you said, unless they opt not to have this scan done... I have to wonder what would have happened if they'd known before the baby was born.

Quote Originally Posted by lorem_ipsum View Post
    i think it's great that the dad wants to raise him, although i agree with BLT. however, if i see one more person making this a pro-life argument, i will lose my shit.
    I hadn't even thought about this....I was more shocked by the fact that she didn't even consult him, just filed the papers. But I can see how it would turn into a pro-life debate. Ugh.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast