Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yahoo! to recycle old email accounts

1. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"

Yahoo! to recycle old email accounts

Advertisements
    Yahoo 'recycling' old e-mail, raising security concerns - CNN.com

"(CNN) -- Yahoo has announced a plan to "recycle" old e-mail addresses, a move meant to free up accounts for folks who want them but that has sparked privacy concerns.

In a blog post, senior vice president Jay Rossiter announced that Yahoo e-mail accounts that have been dormant for more than a year will be reset so that active users can have access to them.

"If you're like me, you want a Yahoo! ID that's short, sweet, and memorable like albert@yahoo.com instead of albert9330399@yahoo.com," he wrote.

The one-year period will officially begin July 15, when users can "claim" a dormant account name. They'll find out in mid-August if they got the account they wanted.

It's clearly an effort by Yahoo, which has been working to redefine and rejuvenate itself under new CEO Marissa Mayer, to re-engage older users and reward active ones. But it has security experts nervous.

Security analyst Graham Cluley doesn't mince words.

"In short: as an idea it sucks, and it shows Yahoo's lack of respect to customers who created accounts with them in years gone by," Cluley wrote Wednesday.

Cluley lists several scenarios where the plan could backfire. They include situations in which a user has another primary e-mail account, but has given their Yahoo address as a backup in case of security situations, lost passwords and the like.

He said the move appears to be "an underhanded way to get people to re-engage with the site" and that people who may not actively use their Yahoo mail, but use it to store old messages and other documents, could lose them without ever realizing it.

Mat Honan of CNN content partner Wired, himself the recent victim of a high-profile hack, called the move "a spectacularly bad idea."
    In the wake of such complaints, Yahoo released a followup statement saying it's sure the transition can be made without compromising security.
    "We're committed and confident in our ability to do this in a way that's safe, secure and protects our users' data," the company said.
    The vast majority of inactive Yahoo IDs don't have a mailbox associated with them, the company said, and any personal data associated with the accounts will be deleted.

During a 30-day deactivation period, bounce-back e-mails will alert senders that the deactivated account no longer exists and Yahoo will unsubscribe those accounts from newsletters, commercial e-mail alerts and the like.
    Businesses, financial institutions, social networks and other e-mail providers will be sent notifications about e-mail addresses that have been deactivated."

thoughts?

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  2. Wibbly, wobbly, timey, wimey stuff.
    Wibbly, wobbly, timey, wimey stuff.
    How does it affect accounts linked to one's yahoo mail? I have an active flickr account, and I would HATE to lose my account and photos because of this. I don't ever log into my yahoo mail, but to get onto flickr, I am mandated to have a yahoo mail, and log onto my flickr using that screenname and password.
  3. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Hmm. I have several email address that I don't use anymore, I just set up POP forwarding to my gmail account. In a case like that, I wonder if the account would still be considered "dormant." Might not matter for Yahoo! though, I thought I read somewhere that you have to pay for POP forwarding with them.
  4. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by sailorbear View Post
    How does it affect accounts linked to one's yahoo mail? I have an active flickr account, and I would HATE to lose my account and photos because of this. I don't ever log into my yahoo mail, but to get onto flickr, I am mandated to have a yahoo mail, and log onto my flickr using that screenname and password.
    That's something someone brought up in the article. Many have yahoo accounts that are back up accounts for lost passwords, or email accounts that are used as a login for other sites, but not actually used for emails.

The CEO of yahoo said, those accounts that are used for logins but emails aren't logged into or used will be deactivated and recycled.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  5. Wibbly, wobbly, timey, wimey stuff.
    Wibbly, wobbly, timey, wimey stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    That's something someone brought up in the article. Many have yahoo accounts that are back up accounts for lost passwords, or email accounts that are used as a login for other sites, but not actually used for emails.

The CEO of yahoo said, those accounts that are used for logins but emails aren't logged into or used will be deactivated and recycled.
    So.. I'll end up losing my account? Pardon my language, but that's the dumbest shit ever. I use my flickr frequently!
  6. Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.
    Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.

I have a yahoo mail that I very rarely use, but I try to log into it at least every few months to ensure that it isnt sending out hacked emails or something. sailorbear I would recommend just logging into your mail account every few months

7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I dunno. Is it really that hard to log into an email address that you want to keep every month or so, just to keep it active?
  8. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by sailorbear View Post
    So.. I'll end up losing my account? Pardon my language, but that's the dumbest shit ever. I use my flickr frequently!
    That's what i'm gathering. If you haven't physically logged into the yahoo account it will get recycled.

And I agree, its crap.

Only solution that i can find is to simply log into that account. They are wanting to start recycling July 15.

9. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    I dunno. Is it really that hard to log into an email address that you want to keep every month or so, just to keep it active?
    It is when you've forgotten the password, and the email acct associated with it to retrieve lost password is no longer active.

10. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    It's not that hard but I thought it's what POP forwarding was for.

I have 4 emails that forward to my gmail, it would be kind of annoying to have to remember to log into them monthly when it's so much easier just to read them all in one place. Either way it doesn't really affect me though.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast