Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: So you think OPSEC is no biggie and we're all just uptight?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Advertisements
    wow yeah, I'm good friends with this girl and she had it posted on her myspace when her DF was coming home... I mean right down to the days... I showed her the post a while back that someone made about telling girls that have it posted... and she said that OPSEC is just something pretty much made up that us Military girlfriends and wives have nothing better to do than to sit online and think up crazy things... and that her DF and all his friends in iraq think the whole OPSEC thing is a bunch of bullshit... I was like WHAAAAAAAAAAT!

Yeah well I just was like okay whatever. She's a good friend of mine dont get me wrong... but I noticed like a week later... it was gone... So who knows, maybe she was embarrassed?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

thanks for posting this...I'll be putting it in a bulliten on myspace for all the idiots that don't believe me lol
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by harrisonsdream View Post
    thanks, hopefully tattoo will read this since he thought opsec was a joke
    And Ashley5, who thinks we're opsec nazis
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Al Qaeda is Eyeing MySpace, Facebook, Friends Reunited, PalTalk
    By Shelley Smith

Great Britain’s Security Service MI5 requested its British troops to remove personal details of themselves off popular social networking sites like Facebook, MySpace and Friends Reunited due to discovering that they were being monitored by Al-Qaeda operatives. In the January, 2008 Free Republic article, ‘Al-Qaeda eyes MySpace Pages’, Gordon Thomas writes about the concern expressed by the MI5 chief Jonathan Evans in a document titled ‘Personal Security’. Evans asks for security service personnel to be aware of the monitoring and gathering of personal details that can be formed into intelligence used to launch terrorist attacks against their colleagues, or family members.

Though access to many of these social websites may be for members only, all one needs to register is an e-mail address. Al-Qaeda operatives are using hundreds of false accounts to access personal information. And what are they finding?

Thousands of military and security personnel who have posted detailed information about themselves, their careers, personal pictures and family members, date of birth, locations of where they are living, photos of colleagues and weapons.

In the United States Islamic extremists are utilizing technology. Radical Muslims are attempting to bring Islamic religious law into the United States and had murdered a New Jersey man and his family. Others have been victims by operatives systematically tracking individuals through PalTalk.com and other websites. An individual who lives overseas had his computer hacked to obtain his photograph, his real name and the city where he lives, while other individuals are having their personal information being exchanged through extremist websites in order to facilitate harm. With this new wave of activities it is important to maintain OPSEC.

The U.S. Department of Energy, Computer Incident Advisory Capability (CIAC), who conducts Cyber Security programs, has posted the latest Vulnerability Bulletins to share with U.S. interagency personnel.
    Except for the bolded is PERSEC not OPSEC.

I know the Navy itself posts photos that show colleagues and weapons and has them up on various Navy command websites. For example crew photos and photos of missile launches etc. No it doesn't show the inner workings but it does show them in action I know I have seen CIWS photos in action from one of my first commands (and PR shots of the tomahawks being launched) and we had not only crew/division photos but candid shots as well such as fantail BBQ's while underway, and tiger cruises and various other MWR type things.
  5. Death Before Decaf!!
    Death Before Decaf!!
    Blog Entries
    Brandi's mention of PERSEC today was the first it'd been discussed on the site (that I'd seen). For all intents and purposes we've been treating all security violations as OPSEC.
    "Wine is proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin~
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    But they are not the same thing PERSEC is a recommendation OPSEC is an order their IS a differance. I know I have mentioned PERSEC before. I think they are BOTH important I just want people to know the differance. If they do not know the differance it makes it easy for someone to jump on someone about OPSEC when really it was not OPSEC but PERSEC. OPSEC just relates to troop movement and action. PERSEC is just a recommendation for how to conduct yourself to make yourself a hard target. (of both regular crime AND terrorism and over all public safety)

Sorry I will shut my mouth now.
  7. Starting Over...
    Starting Over...
    Oh gosh, that's scary! I'll be VERY careful about what I post on facebook. I mean, I have my DB's last name on there but nothing about his squadron, etc.,... so I should be ok, right?
    I am Megly McTenderhearted - dubbed so by eelo.

8. Death Before Decaf!!
    Death Before Decaf!!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Green~Mammy View Post
    But they are not the same thing PERSEC is a recommendation OPSEC is an order their IS a differance. I know I have mentioned PERSEC before. I think they are BOTH important I just want people to know the differance. If they do not know the differance it makes it easy for someone to jump on someone about OPSEC when really it was not OPSEC but PERSEC. OPSEC just relates to troop movement and action. PERSEC is just a recommendation for how to conduct yourself to make yourself a hard target. (of both regular crime AND terrorism and over all public safety)

Sorry I will shut my mouth now.
    I realize there is a difference. PERSEC protection may not be an order, but as far as militarysos is concerned, PERSEC violations are still dangerous and we advise strongly against them.
    "Wine is proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin~
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by navyiatorgirl View Post
    Oh gosh, that's scary! I'll be VERY careful about what I post on facebook. I mean, I have my DB's last name on there but nothing about his squadron, etc.,... so I should be ok, right?
    For PERSEC reasons you should never post your last name on the internet for everyone to read. So I would remove your last name and his.
  10. Starting Over...
    Starting Over...
    Ok, thanks very much! I can't remove mine but I can remove his.
    I am Megly McTenderhearted - dubbed so by eelo.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast