Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: New Marine Girlfriend Who Hasn't Posted in A While

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

New Marine Girlfriend Who Hasn't Posted in A While

Advertisements
    Hi! I posted once or twice on here before and got busy with school. My S.O. has officially been gone a little over a month now and it's still hard. His mom gets one letter for everyone as he doesn't have a lot of time to write. I don't know what's going to happen between us when he comes back home and I'm worried. I don't want to talk to my mom about it or my stepdad. They don't really understand and they're wary of the relationship as well. Any experienced people who can help? And what do I do when I'm not on great terms with his friends back here? I want to support him every way I can....But after how they treated me before he left I'm not sure if I'll be able to handle those days he's home because I know his friends will be hanging around him again and I hate it. Every time I called him or texted him his friends would grab his phone and answer the call to annoy me. It's annoying and just I'm so stressed out. Pointers would be appreciated....
  2. Senior Member
    What are some concerns your parents have?
    The friend thing is hard, but it isn't your job to make them like you, being personable is required though sometimes for the sake of your SO.

I'm having trouble putting into words what I want to tell you. It is unreasonable to expect to control his friendships (not that I'm saying you are). It is also telling, the kind of friends someone has, there is a saying about "you are the company you keep," and if his friends are rude to you, and he sees it and permits it, that says something to me.
    Dh has a friend who just doesn't like me. He doesn't like kids, he doesn't like that our family has taken away dh from his xbox.
    The feeling is mutual. I initially cared what he thought. After it became clear that I'm never going to win this guy over, it was easier because I stopped bending over backwards for someone who was never going to be my friend, but we both seem to understand that the other has value to dh, and we remain decent to each other. I don't like him, but other than calling him on something (he says some racist and sexist stuff that I don't let slide, which might contribute to him not liking me----I don't care) we pretty much coexist in peace but will never be buddies.

It does worry me somewhat that your parents have concerns *and* you don't care for his friends. Those factors together just make me wonder what is up. It is easy to be blinded by love.

I'm sorry you are having a hard time. I hope he spends designated time with you and can also, separately see his friends.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SparrowCorps View Post
    Hi! I posted once or twice on here before and got busy with school. My S.O. has officially been gone a little over a month now and it's still hard. His mom gets one letter for everyone as he doesn't have a lot of time to write. I don't know what's going to happen between us when he comes back home and I'm worried. I don't want to talk to my mom about it or my stepdad. They don't really understand and they're wary of the relationship as well. Any experienced people who can help? And what do I do when I'm not on great terms with his friends back here? I want to support him every way I can....But after how they treated me before he left I'm not sure if I'll be able to handle those days he's home because I know his friends will be hanging around him again and I hate it. Every time I called him or texted him his friends would grab his phone and answer the call to annoy me. It's annoying and just I'm so stressed out. Pointers would be appreciated....
    Hi! I responded to your posts the last time you were on the forum.

That's odd that he's only writing 1 letter, but he does have 2 more months to go.... have you written to him a lot?

Your boyfriend isn't in the reserves right, so when you say "when he comes back home" you mean for 10 day boot leave before MCT correct? Be prepared for his family and friends to fight for his time.

The friend issue can be a real problem. He should have taken care of this issue before he joined the military. DH would never allow his friends to mistreat me and I'd be upset with him if he did.

4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I have written to him once or twice a week. He does address me in his letters to his mom. I don't know what the friend situation is. And yes I mean the 10 day boot leave.
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    They're worried a military relationship might be rough on me. Plus they want me to be with someone who's an avid church goer like them and right now my SO is not a big church goer