Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: New to the military way

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

New to the military way

Advertisements
    Hello! I am currently dating a guy heading into Air Force soon. Weíve been best friends for years and started dating A year ago. I love him more then anything. Iím trying to figure out how to handle him leaving for basic here in a few months. Itís starting to get to me and Iím finding it hard to focus on anything else. Anybody have any advice? Iím completely new to this military thing.
  2. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Iím very new to this too, but my boyfriend just finished basic training so I know how you feel. Honestly, the hardest part for me was the first 2 weeks after he left. It was so hard not knowing how he was feeling and knowing that he was facing something meant to be hard while I couldnít do much to support him. My advice would be to write to him everyday and include the small details of your day like what the weather was like, how work went for you, and if you saw any friends he knows. I always ended my letters with telling him how much he means to me and how excited I was to see him at graduation. I also kept a journal that I wrote in everyday that included more personal feelings than what I actually sent him. DB was actually the one who encouraged me to do that. It really helped me express my feelings instead of keeping them bottled up. The first thing DB wanted to do on graduation weekend was read the journal and honestly it strengthened our relationship so much. Another thing that helped me was being close with his family. There was rarely a day that DBís family and I didnít talk to each other. I know that seems weird to some people because itís not necessarily normal, but they knew what I was going through more than anybody else. So I would try to surround yourself with people who want to encourage your relationship and try to understand your feelings whenever possible. The worst thing you can do is start doubting your relationship because the distance and lack of communication is not easy at all. Itís also not good to let your DB know if you do have doubts because it really destroys their motivation to finish. I think itís normal to have bad days and wish he never left, but in the end I was so proud of him for doing this and Iím sure youíll feel the same way too. Thereís nothing like the feeling of letters, phone calls, and that amazing first hug and kiss on graduation day. It sounds like you and your boyfriend really love each other so I have no doubt you can make it through this 7 1/2 weeks. I donít have any advice for past that point because I havenít gone through it myself, but hopefully this helps a little bit.
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesssan View Post
    I’m very new to this too, but my boyfriend just finished basic training so I know how you feel. Honestly, the hardest part for me was the first 2 weeks after he left. It was so hard not knowing how he was feeling and knowing that he was facing something meant to be hard while I couldn’t do much to support him. My advice would be to write to him everyday and include the small details of your day like what the weather was like, how work went for you, and if you saw any friends he knows. I always ended my letters with telling him how much he means to me and how excited I was to see him at graduation. I also kept a journal that I wrote in everyday that included more personal feelings than what I actually sent him. DB was actually the one who encouraged me to do that. It really helped me express my feelings instead of keeping them bottled up. The first thing DB wanted to do on graduation weekend was read the journal and honestly it strengthened our relationship so much. Another thing that helped me was being close with his family. There was rarely a day that DB’s family and I didn’t talk to each other. I know that seems weird to some people because it’s not necessarily normal, but they knew what I was going through more than anybody else. So I would try to surround yourself with people who want to encourage your relationship and try to understand your feelings whenever possible. The worst thing you can do is start doubting your relationship because the distance and lack of communication is not easy at all. It’s also not good to let your DB know if you do have doubts because it really destroys their motivation to finish. I think it’s normal to have bad days and wish he never left, but in the end I was so proud of him for doing this and I’m sure you’ll feel the same way too. There’s nothing like the feeling of letters, phone calls, and that amazing first hug and kiss on graduation day. It sounds like you and your boyfriend really love each other so I have no doubt you can make it through this 7 1/2 weeks. I don’t have any advice for past that point because I haven’t gone through it myself, but hopefully this helps a little bit.
    Thank you Thank you so much! We were actually talking about me journaling while he was away and that he wanted to buy me one to write in for him to read. We also discussed being closer to his family while he was gone, his moms been having a hard time too and we thought it would be best if we were there for eachother, he said he wanted me to watch over her. I’m still really nervous but you definitely did help me confirm that we’re going in a right direction! Thank you so much again!! ������
  4. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

to MSOS. Please take a moment to read over our Everything A Newbie Needs To Know!!!thread. This is a very important sticky that will answer many of our most common newbie questions. It also has some VERY important information that every member of this site needs to read and know.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.