Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: USAF Girlfriend

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

USAF Girlfriend

Advertisements
    Hi, my name is Jessica and my boyfriend just graduated from BMT for the Air Force on the 8th. We've only been dating for about 4 1/2 months so we've been apart for practically half of our relationship. We both feel like the separation only made our relationship stronger and definitely increased our communication skills though. His tech school is about four months long and the base is only four hours from where I live so I could possibly see him a few times during that. There's also a pretty good possibly that he'll get to come home for Christmas and New years, but he wants to surprise me so he won't tell me anything. I did a lot of research about the different bases he could be sent to after tech school, but I don't really have a preference because I know its not good to get my hopes up about something like that. We've had a few very serious conversations about getting married soon, but we both turned 18 within the last 6 months and it's a huge commitment that we don't want to rush into just yet. I have a feeling we might get engaged over Christmas and married after tech school though. I'm in college right now and I should my associates degree at the end of next semester. I also work full time as a grocery store bookkeeper (fancy way of saying I handle all the money) in a city about 30 minutes north of Dallas. That's actually where my boyfriend and I met because we both worked as cashiers together for a little over a year. Anyways, I guess that is enough about me. I absolutely love my Airman more than anything and I can't wait to see where this new chapter takes the both of us.
  2. Regular Member
    Welcome!!
    Marriage is a very big commitment, talking about getting engaged during the holiday and married by the end of tech school is still quite fast. Why don't you enjoy the early phases of the relationship while getting to know each other more? Even 1+ years is still very much the honeymoon phase, is there a reason you are thinking engagement/marriage so soon?
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesssan View Post
    Hi, my name is Jessica and my boyfriend just graduated from BMT for the Air Force on the 8th. We've only been dating for about 4 1/2 months so we've been apart for practically half of our relationship. We both feel like the separation only made our relationship stronger and definitely increased our communication skills though. His tech school is about four months long and the base is only four hours from where I live so I could possibly see him a few times during that. There's also a pretty good possibly that he'll get to come home for Christmas and New years, but he wants to surprise me so he won't tell me anything. I did a lot of research about the different bases he could be sent to after tech school, but I don't really have a preference because I know its not good to get my hopes up about something like that. We've had a few very serious conversations about getting married soon, but we both turned 18 within the last 6 months and it's a huge commitment that we don't want to rush into just yet. I have a feeling we might get engaged over Christmas and married after tech school though. I'm in college right now and I should my associates degree at the end of next semester. I also work full time as a grocery store bookkeeper (fancy way of saying I handle all the money) in a city about 30 minutes north of Dallas. That's actually where my boyfriend and I met because we both worked as cashiers together for a little over a year. Anyways, I guess that is enough about me. I absolutely love my Airman more than anything and I can't wait to see where this new chapter takes the both of us.
    to the forum from a fellow Texan! ��

4. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesssan View Post

Sorry, this is about to get really long.

Iím gonna talk a little about marriage here. Hereís a quick backstory to help establish background/timeline for what Iím about to say. So Iím 20, and my husband is 22. We met Jan. 3rd 2017 and started dating within weeks. We were long distance for 8 months (with a 2 week visit after 6mos) which improved our communication a lot, and made us grow close very quickly. We decided in June that I would move to VA with him in September once Iíd finished my summer job. Two days before I moved, he found out that he would be deployed in a little over a month. He asked if I still wanted to move, and I said yes because if I waited for the Navy to get their shit together, Iíd never be able to move (since everything always changes, etc.) so I moved, we got our own place, got a puppy, and one month after my birthday, we got married. (We had been talking about marriage and such for a few months just hypothetically because we knew that the option was on the table, his original plan was to propose in January and weíd get married this summer, but then deployment happened.) He deployed 5 days later. Now weíre on day 57 of his deployment.

Now that Iíve given a little background on my situation, let me say that I absolutely love my sailor and I donít regret marrying him at all. I donít regret anything about the choices that weíve made. However, I will say that getting married young is stressful, and itís scary. There are days where I think about how young we are, and how short of a time weíve been together. There is A LOT of ridicule from people outside of the situation. If you want your marriage to work, you need to really work at it. DH and I both believe that once youíre married, thatís who you spend your life with. Divorce, for us, is not something that you just get when you donít want to try anymore. Of course everyone is different, and thatís fine, but the bottom line is you need to ask yourself why you want to get married right away. I thought about it a lot, he and I talked about it a lot, but when it came down to it, we decided the night before that we were going to go to the courthouse. We didnít tell any of our friends or family until after. I was fine with that because I think that marriage is something very deep and personal, and I cried a lot because it was emotionally very overwhelming. I committed my life to the man that I love, and it was a very beautiful experience.

That being said, you two are still pretty young. Iíd been living on my own for 2+ years prior to this, and DH had been on his own (boot camp, a school, stationed in Japan, stationed in VA) for 4+ years. Our parents are very supportive of our decision because it was logical. If he wasnít staring deployment in the eye, I can tell you that we wouldnít have gotten married that soon. We wouldíve waited until next summer like we had planned. Again, I donít regret marrying him. But you and I are different people. Iíve lived a lot of life since I moved out of my moms house, and he has, too. It truly depends on the individual, and the couple.

Bottom line, donít rush into marrying him if you arenít 100% ready. Have a heart to heart with yourself and ask yourself why you want to get married right now. Donít let the military be the number one reason why you want to get married. Most of all, donít let others opinions detour you from doing what you feel is best. Because at the end of the day, only you and your DB know whatís best for yourselves and your relationship. I wish you luck, and happiness in your future.
  5. Regular Member
    Hi there! I'm from Dallas too!! I'm also a USAF girlfriend. Welcome!
  6. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

to MSOS. Please take a moment to read over our Everything A Newbie Needs To Know!!!thread. This is a very important sticky that will answer many of our most common newbie questions. It also has some VERY important information that every member of this site needs to read and know.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.